Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Good Day All,

Well, I bought my 2009 R/T Tremec 6-speed 2 years ago May. It had 42,000 miles on it and had been regularly serviced, but had never been taken in for the known grease issue. I figured if it had not happened yet, it was fine, so I bought the 3rd party platinum warranty just in case. About 2 months ago (70,000 miles) I started having trouble shifting at high RPM. No big deal, right? Well, the dreaded grease that turns to glue at high heat fused the pilot and throwout bearing to the input shaft. And my "Platinum" warranty blamed the issue on the throwout bearing which is not covered so it's not covering the transmission either. The vibration "warped" the input shaft, so now I am paying out of pocket for the whole kit and kaboodle.

A word of advice, if you have a 2009-2010 6-speed have this checked out. The labor to have your grease redone and 6 bolts changed on the flywheel beats the $3500.00+ I am paying now. My car seemed fine, no vibration, you could still shift at low RPM (around 3000) with one finger so I continued to drive it. My bad I know NOW. I even contacted Dodge to no avail. I really think this should have been a recall. I do not care what Tremec says, these initial units were garbage.

The only bright spot is the dealership is refunding 1/2 my warranty cost. This should get me out with about 700 bucks more than a clutch job, so I am counting my blessings!

Update: You cannot purchase the garbage brass synchros any longer, so another 800 for carbon fiber. Transmission, clutch and labor...$5200.00. Anyone want to buy a kidney? :)

·
Registered
4,224 Posts
Man, your car is the first I've heard to have a warped input shaft because of the known lack of grease issue... Have you considered getting a second opinion?

·
Registered
675 Posts
I totally agree that this should have been a recall. It not only effects 2009's, but information on this subject indicates 1/2 the production year for 1010's. Any defect of the clutch system that presents a safety hazard (vehicle rolling under engine power power, with the clutch fully disengaged buy maximum pedal depression) constitutes an obvious safety hazard. Dodge has been VERY lucky on this one. The $3,500 price to repair your car is revolting. I know you just want to get your Challenger back in good form. I hesitate to say that in my personal circumstances, I would be tempted to pull up the numerous archived threads on this site AND other Challenger and LX forum sites. Document the Chrysler Star Fix details, and present this to a legal representative.
This site is monitored by a representative from "Dodge Cares" her name is Rebecca.....
Rebecca, are you listening?
This is just simply not right. Rather than having MANY owners have to go from dealership to dealership, until they found someone who was able to acknowledge the existance of the defect and resolve it under the Chrysler Star FIX, Chrysler/Dodge should have established a recall for this safety hazard back in '09. I wish you the best of luck.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Man, your car is the first I've heard to have a warped input shaft because of the known lack of grease issue... Have you considered getting a second opinion?
It's technically listed as a throwout bearing issue. No way to "prove" it was the grease. If I get a second opinion and it's the same, I have to pay the assessor. I trust the guys at my transmission shop. They just gave me the final appraisal. It is now $5100.00 because you can not even get the crappy parts anymore. It's a mandatory upgrade to the carbon fiber synchro kit. I have been in communication with Dodge, I received the "it's no longer under warranty" email. At least with the rebuild I will get a warranty from people I trust.

·
Registered
675 Posts
SWIFTJR, the fact that the seizing grease on the input shaft problem has never been addressed on your car is records proof positive, that the end result is your current part failures.
Rebecca...Time for Dodge to step up.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, at least I got to vent. I documented Dodge's official Star Fix and sent it along with an explanation to my local NBC affiliate and also Dateline NBC. Title, Dodge should have had a recall for safety's sake alone.

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
I have lifetime powertrain AND an additional warranty on my car. I have 59,000 miles and just got denied for the SECOND time. I tried once a few years ago and got shot down then too. My cars clutch is binding so bad that when it sticks I can have the clutch fully depressed and the car will still accelerate forward from a stop! The technician was speechless and had never seen a car do that.

Report it on the NHTSA website. I did and there were already others on there. If they get X number of complaints they have to launch an investigation.

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/index.xhtml

This one was previously filed and I filed another one.

Date Complaint Filed: 03/27/2012
Component(s): POWER TRAIN Date of Incident: 11/09/2011
NHTSA ID Number: 10453265
All Products Associated with this Complaint expand
Details close
0 Associated Documents
Crash:No Fire:No Number of Injuries:0 Number of Deaths:0
Manufacturer: Chrysler Group LLC
Vehicle Identification No. (VIN): 2B3LJ54T89H...
SUMMARY:
HELLO! HARD SHIFTING 6SPEED MANUAL: I HAVE BEEN HAVING SHIFTING PROBLEMS WITH MY MANUAL TRANS FOR A COUPLE OF MONTHS. IT STARTED BACK IN NOV 11 WHEN TRAVELING OUT OF TOWN,GOT STUCK IN TRAFFIC AND CLUTCH STARTED TO NOT DISINGAUGE ALL THE WAY (WOULD CREEP) HAD TO HOLD FOOT ON BRAKE OR PUT IN NEUTRAL EVEN AFTER PULLING OFF THE ROAD. LATTER WHEN COMING HOME BAKED INTO PARKING SPACE TURN KEY OFF WANTED TO PUT IN OTHER GEAR WAS VERY HARD TO PULL OUT OF REVERSE. HAS GOTTEN WORSE, IT IS GETTING HARDER TO SHIFT WHILE DRIVING. MY WIFE WENT TO GET ON THE HIGHWAY AND HAD VERY HARD TIME GOING INTO LOWER GEAR ALMOST GETTING HIT IN THE REAR.DODGE SAYS WORN CLUTCH,BUT IT DOESN'T SLIP, BUT THEY HAVE A NOTICE ABOUT GREASE BEING ON INPUT SPLINE THATS THE CLUTCH SLIDES ON GETTING DIRTY FROM TO MUCH GREASE AND DIRT, MAKING THE DISC STICK NOT FULLY DISENGAGING. THIS IS A MANUFACTURING DEFECT,ASSEMBLING LINE DEFECT NOT MINE. BEEN TO TWO DEALERS AND ASK 4 ABOUT THE PROBLEM. *TR

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have lifetime powertrain AND an additional warranty on my car. I have 59,000 miles and just got denied for the SECOND time. I tried once a few years ago and got shot down then too. My cars clutch is binding so bad that when it sticks I can have the clutch fully depressed and the car will still accelerate forward from a stop! The technician was speechless and had never seen a car do that.

Report it on the NHTSA website. I did and there were already others on there. If they get X number of complaints they have to launch an investigation.

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/index.xhtml

This one was previously filed and I filed another one.

Date Complaint Filed: 03/27/2012
Component(s): POWER TRAIN Date of Incident: 11/09/2011
NHTSA ID Number: 10453265
All Products Associated with this Complaint expand
Details close
0 Associated Documents
Crash:No Fire:No Number of Injuries:0 Number of Deaths:0
Manufacturer: Chrysler Group LLC
Vehicle Identification No. (VIN): 2B3LJ54T89H...
SUMMARY:
HELLO! HARD SHIFTING 6SPEED MANUAL: I HAVE BEEN HAVING SHIFTING PROBLEMS WITH MY MANUAL TRANS FOR A COUPLE OF MONTHS. IT STARTED BACK IN NOV 11 WHEN TRAVELING OUT OF TOWN,GOT STUCK IN TRAFFIC AND CLUTCH STARTED TO NOT DISINGAUGE ALL THE WAY (WOULD CREEP) HAD TO HOLD FOOT ON BRAKE OR PUT IN NEUTRAL EVEN AFTER PULLING OFF THE ROAD. LATTER WHEN COMING HOME BAKED INTO PARKING SPACE TURN KEY OFF WANTED TO PUT IN OTHER GEAR WAS VERY HARD TO PULL OUT OF REVERSE. HAS GOTTEN WORSE, IT IS GETTING HARDER TO SHIFT WHILE DRIVING. MY WIFE WENT TO GET ON THE HIGHWAY AND HAD VERY HARD TIME GOING INTO LOWER GEAR ALMOST GETTING HIT IN THE REAR.DODGE SAYS WORN CLUTCH,BUT IT DOESN'T SLIP, BUT THEY HAVE A NOTICE ABOUT GREASE BEING ON INPUT SPLINE THATS THE CLUTCH SLIDES ON GETTING DIRTY FROM TO MUCH GREASE AND DIRT, MAKING THE DISC STICK NOT FULLY DISENGAGING. THIS IS A MANUFACTURING DEFECT,ASSEMBLING LINE DEFECT NOT MINE. BEEN TO TWO DEALERS AND ASK 4 ABOUT THE PROBLEM. *TR
Thanks Big Rob. I just entered my complaint also.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Just saw this tread and I too am having similar issues with this transmission. I can't get into first gear when stopped at a light and have an extremely difficult time engaging reverse.

It seems to me the clutch or syncros are not working properly. It also seems that the Camaros and Mustangs are having similar issues with these JUNK Tremec 6060 transmissions.

I have an appointment with the dodge dealer on 7/5. Cant wait to hear the BS from them.

I reported my issue to the NHTSA and hopefully with many more reports of this issue they will force dodge or Tremec to repair or replace these faulty junk transmissions.

Shame on Tremec for not owning up to there quality control issues or issues with this specific transmissions.

Personally I will never buy a car with another TREMEC in it.

·
Registered
183 Posts
It seems to be a problem with the syncros, (they are junk) or someone at the factory put too much grease on the input shaft spline or something like that. It relates to STAR CASE# S1021000004-Bad grease in the 2009 Tremecs. The next time I drive the car will be for the appointment I made with the dealer, I hope I make it there. Really disappointed at the moment.

·
Registered
675 Posts
There is no grease in the Tremec trans. The faulty lube is on the input shaft. The entire story is documented in the archives of Challenger Talk...many times. My '09 speed was fixed immediately in 2010 by my dealer, with the presentation of the Star Case #. Estimated shifts to date (56,000 miles) 1,000,000+. There is no problem with the Tremec transmissions, or the original clutch.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Yeah, tell that to the Camaro and Mustang guys...lol. I not sure whether my issue is the grease issue. I cant get into 1st at a stop and Reverse is very very difficult to engage too.

Grease may be part of the issue but it does not account for the 1-2 or 2-3 hard shifts, I mean for me I have to use force to shift into these gears now. Like something is not lining up correctly or the syncros are shot. If Tremec used better parts when they manufactured and distributed these transmission to the big three, we won't be having all these issues with our trannys. A recall should be mandatory with all the issues everyone is having but neither Tremec or the big three are willing to make that claim. At least GM halted deliveries of all Camaro SS with six speeds until they resolve the tranny issue. Wish Dodge would do the same for future customers sake.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just saw this tread and I too am having similar issues with this transmission. I can't get into first gear when stopped at a light and have an extremely difficult time engaging reverse.

It seems to me the clutch or syncros are not working properly. It also seems that the Camaros and Mustangs are having similar issues with these JUNK Tremec 6060 transmissions.

I have an appointment with the dodge dealer on 7/5. Cant wait to hear the BS from them.

I reported my issue to the NHTSA and hopefully with many more reports of this issue they will force dodge or Tremec to repair or replace these faulty junk transmissions.

Shame on Tremec for not owning up to there quality control issues or issues with this specific transmissions.

Personally I will never buy a car with another TREMEC in it.
Keep me posted on what you find out.
Jim Swift
[email protected]

P.S. Not to mention you can not get parts for the 2009-2010 Tremec anymore. So, (I guess it's a good thing) it's a mandatory and expensive upgrade. 800.00 in parts for the carbon rings alone!

·
Registered
183 Posts
swiftjr, I will provide another update once the car gets dropped off and they have a chance to look at it and advise me of the issue. Hopefully it is just the grease issue bit who really knows.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Been thru this whole ordeal myself but I was lucky after 3 visits to the dealer they finally did the repair the only problem is now when I put my heat on in any spot except windows my windows steam up not sure what they did but they said there was nothing wrong go figure? I will say my car will not see a Dodge dealer ever again not sure if any one seen my post about my seat but as far as I am concerned Chrysler needs to fix there dealers but then again maybe the dealers are not entirely to blame who knows.
http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f5/normal-wear-tear-bad-leather-228314/

·
Registered
183 Posts
Dropped my car off on Saturday 7/5. They gave me a loaner and told me they call me in a few days. I haven't heard from them yet and will call tomm. for an update.

They did state that a diagnostic fee of $130 will be applicable on top of they $100 deductible.

Have you ever had a diagnostic fee for a warranty issue?

·
Administrator
8,918 Posts
Dropped my car off on Saturday 7/5. They gave me a loaner and told me they call me in a few days. I haven't heard from them yet and will call tomm. for an update.

They did state that a diagnostic fee of $130 will be applicable on top of they $100 deductible.

Have you ever had a diagnostic fee for a warranty issue?
most dealerships charge for diagnostics these days but the service writer can remove the charge it just depends on the dealership, I would ask why a diagnostic charge also find out is they have figured out whats wrong with the trans you should of heard from them by now!

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
About this Discussion
49 Replies
20 Participants
BC Diesel
Dodge Challenger Forum
Challenger Talk, the online forum for discussions, reviews of Dodge Challenger, and all things SRT, Hellcat, and Demon.
Full Forum Listing