Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I guess no one else so far has gotten this from their service managers. My 09 R/t had NO tick. My 2014 sounds like a ticking time bomb driving down the road.

The first thing that service said was there is a "Hemi Tick". Yeah, ok... I'm not driving a 40 thousand dollar car down the road ticking. Fix it.

Here's the link to the other thread where I posted all 8 pages of the STAR Case given to me BY my service tech.

Enjoy..

http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f5/those-ordered-2014-shaker-158785/index61.html#post2710114

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can you tell me where I can look up Star Online Case S1209000001, S1309000021 with regards to this issue?

Thanks
This is all my service tech gave me. Try calling your dealer. I'm sure they can look them up for you in a matter of minutes.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
615 Posts
iamawild1, did you have yours serviced? I also had a '09 with zero tick. My '13 is horrendous to the point where my wife asked "What the hell is that ticking noise" the first time she was in it.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
iamawild1, did you have yours serviced? I also had a '09 with zero tick. My '13 is horrendous to the point where my wife asked "What the hell is that ticking noise" the first time she was in it.

Mine goes in on Wednesday morning to be serviced for it. The ticking is driving me crazy. Take a look at the Star sheets a little back on the thread to see if this is the same, I'm guessing it is.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I just spoke with dealership, mine is going in on Thursday. I got a little bit of the run-a-round from service guy. First he tells me they only issue with the 5.7's is the timing chain. I then gave him Star code #, then he states "Yeah, I've done that once, it doesn't get rid of sound completely". Even if it cuts it by half, I'd be happy. He added that after the fix, you can't hear it inside the car but, you can here a slight tick outside...we'll see i guess.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Anyone know exactly what they do to lessen the tick. My 14 ticks like crazy as well.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just spoke with dealership, mine is going in on Thursday. I got a little bit of the run-a-round from service guy. First he tells me they only issue with the 5.7's is the timing chain. I then gave him Star code #, then he states "Yeah, I've done that once, it doesn't get rid of sound completely". Even if it cuts it by half, I'd be happy. He added that after the fix, you can't hear it inside the car but, you can here a slight tick outside...we'll see i guess.

Amazing what you can get when you're well informed. My dealer was up front with me on the Star. Didn't have to pull it out of him either. There IS a minimal tick with the hemi but not one that seems to get worse every time you drive it. I can hear it in my car and it's making me crazy. I'm happy to hear you got somewhere with it.

·
Registered
236 Posts
curious...my 12's tick has gotten louder recently. I never remember hearing it until 6 months or so ago. Hmm

Reactions: iamawild1

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
curious...my 12's tick has gotten louder recently. I never remember hearing it until 6 months or so ago. Hmm

It's worth it to have them check it.. and have it in your service records just in case somethings goes on down the road.. you'll have proof you had it checked .. Never know when they're going to authorize a recall or whatever..

·
Registered
410 Posts
My 14 is ticking like crazy! Sounds like tap dancing on the hood driving down the road. At first I thought it was the injectors but now I think otherwise because it's getting louder. It's driving me crazy! Gonna take to dealer and show the star bulletins. Thanks for this. I hate paying this much money for a car that ticks all the time. Love the car but hate the ticks! Maybe we all can get this resolved.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My 14 is ticking like crazy! Sounds like tap dancing on the hood driving down the road. At first I thought it was the injectors but now I think otherwise because it's getting louder. It's driving me crazy! Gonna take to dealer and show the star bulletins. Thanks for this. I hate paying this much money for a car that ticks all the time. Love the car but hate the ticks! Maybe we all can get this resolved.
The Hemi Tick does not sound like someone's tap dancing on your hood.. I hope they will take care of it for you. Maybe if enough of us shove the star bulletin in their face to make them DO their jobs... just maybe they'll issue a recall or service bulletin out to all that have this ticking problem. I'm with you.. hate the sound driving down the road.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It can't hurt to have the dealer check it. It will be part of your service record they can't deny down the road. My dealer is bending over backwards for me with a smile on their faces.

·
Registered
53 Posts
My 2013 SRT has always had a slight, intermittent tick. I would be scared to death to let the dealer go into the motor and hope they don't create any other issues...by the way, Mobil One did help lessen the tick.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
My 2013 SRT has always had a slight, intermittent tick. I would be scared to death to let the dealer go into the motor and hope they don't create any other issues...by the way, Mobil One did help lessen the tick.
No shortage of dealer shop paranoia on this forum.
Just wondering who might be better trained to work on these issues as they arise ?
NO ONE sees these issues sooner or more often than the dealerships.
Granted there may be a huge discrepency in techs and dealership , but thats what warranty is for .

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
I guess no one else so far has gotten this from their service managers. My 09 R/t had NO tick. My 2014 sounds like a ticking time bomb driving down the road.

The first thing that service said was there is a "Hemi Tick". Yeah, ok... I'm not driving a 40 thousand dollar car down the road ticking. Fix it.

Here's the link to the other thread where I posted all 8 pages of the STAR Case given to me BY my service tech.

Enjoy..

http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f5/those-ordered-2014-shaker-158785/index61.html#post2710114
Realllyyyy annoying how much they try to bullshit that the motor\rears in these cars are naturally so loud. I've had to had the lifters replaced in mine and it came down to "That's normal for the HEMI? Well pull up another one and let's listen" and sure enough, other Challenger was dead quiet. Just don't get how it's a stab in the dark if you get a whisper quiet one or a ticky one, QC much? :liar:

·
Registered
410 Posts
I'm like all of you. I don't want a stealership ripping into my engine unless absolutely necessary! I would really hate for them to cause more problems (we all know that wouldn't happen). I only have 2600 mi. Don't want my baby cut into and not solve the problem like some I've heard but will if it will solve the problem I'm for it.
I'm going Monday for them to look and will take them for a ride so they can hear my tap dancing pigeons under the hood. It is coming from top of motor, too loud for fuel injectors.
If they say it's normal I'm going to be ticked like my car!:disgust:

·
Mumber
1,073 Posts
My 13 has slight tick at start up, only 960 miles. Most times it sits for two or three weeks between starts. Gets quiet and I never hear it in the car. 13 rtc.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts