Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi...

I have a 2018 Challenger T/A, 6.4, M6, 3.91 axle ratio.

All I do is street driving, no racing (I did that many years ago and had a great time). In playing around I find it smoother to start the car from a stop in second gear. Is this way, instead of starting in first gear, create any extra load/wear on the clutch?

Thanks

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger SRT
877 Posts
The owner's manual warns against starting in anything other than 1st gear:
"You must always use first gear (or REVERSE) when starting from a standing position."

Could be that they're concerned about clutch wear. Could be that they're playing a political game for the EPA's benefit and trying to keep the annoying (but easily deleted) Skip Shift feature in play.

·
Super Moderator
17,261 Posts
you're slipping the clutch more starting from a stop in 2nd vs. 1st gear

1st = 2.97:1 / 2nd = 2.10:1 ratios so that's a pretty substantial difference in ratio when moving 4,100 - 4,200# from a stop

Reactions: Jazz Blue Scat

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The owner's manual warns against starting in anything other than 1st gear:
"You must always use first gear (or REVERSE) when starting from a standing position."

Could be that they're concerned about clutch wear. Could be that they're playing a political game for the EPA's benefit and trying to keep the annoying (but easily deleted) Skip Shift feature in play.
Thanks, that makes sense. But I will say it's got so much power it seems effortlessly starting in second gear and very smooth. But I guess I'll stop doing it as I sure don't want to be buying a clutch! Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
16,229 Posts
Let's don't forget with its different ratios, the Hellcat starting in 1st is like you starting in 2nd and the Hellcat clutch seems to live OK.

So you still are wearing it more but it's not the end of the world.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,876 Posts
If I want a smokey burnout I always drop clutch in second. Although I would not attempt it if the clutch delay valve was still installed.

And Slidd is right hell cat 1st is 2.26, it is the heaviest chassis and also has the most powerful engine.

·
Super Moderator
17,261 Posts
Let's don't forget with its different ratios, the Hellcat starting in 1st is like you starting in 2nd and the Hellcat clutch seems to live OK.

So you still are wearing it more but it's not the end of the world.

the 'Cat has a 18mm larger diameter clutch over the 5.7 / 392 size so there's more friction material area as well

·
Registered
16,229 Posts
the 'Cat has a 18mm larger diameter clutch over the 5.7 / 392 size so there's more friction material area as well
Definitely true.

·
Premium Member
10,377 Posts
This topic has been discussed a couple of times before, not sure why it would even be a thought, it’s not a granny gear in an old school pickup truck from years past.
But it’s not my car and my clutch won’t have all that premature wear so do as you wish.

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
OCD detail but ratio is 3.90 not 3.91.
Was this changed with newer rears? My 2012 has 3.92 gears. Learn something new every day!

·
Registered
16,229 Posts
Was this changed with newer rears? My 2012 has 3.92 gears. Learn something new every day!
Yes. In 2015 the rears were changed to ZF and the LSD ratios are 3.09, 3.70 and 3.90.

Through 2014 the LSD was a Getrag with ratios of 3.06, 3.73 and 3.91.

You actually have a 3.91, if you see one out of the car there's a sticker on it saying so. Why Dodge called it a 3.92 I don't know.

Reactions: Pauljw

·
Premium Member
10,377 Posts
Yes. In 2015 the rears were changed to ZF and the LSD ratios are 3.09, 3.70 and 3.90.

Through 2014 the LSD was a Getrag with ratios of 3.06, 3.73 and 3.91.

You actually have a 3.91, if you see one out of the car there's a sticker on it saying so. Why Dodge called it a 3.92 I don't know.

So it would match the 392 badge on my fender, haha.

Reactions: Pauljw

·
Premium Member
605 Posts
When I am just driving easy I find starting in first and shifting to third to be smoother. It's better to use first to get this heavy car moving from a dead stop and if I am not driving in a spirited manor skip every other gear less shifting and the torque of the Hemi can handle the wide gear ratios just fine. Just because I have six gears doesn't mean I have to use all of them all the time.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,876 Posts
Well if you have not eliminated skip shift you will have no choice but to jump to 4th at certain conditions which really lugs the 5.7.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
When I am just driving easy I find starting in first and shifting to third to be smoother. It's better to use first to get this heavy car moving from a dead stop and if I am not driving in a spirited manor skip every other gear less shifting and the torque of the Hemi can handle the wide gear ratios just fine. Just because I have six gears doesn't mean I have to use all of them all the time.
Yeah i jump to 3rd all the time

These 5.7’s make like 400lb of torque? Ill also throw her in second if im about to completely stop but it turns green, she never complains

1 - 19 of 19 Posts