Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 186 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm starting a new twin turbo build. I have two 57 trim TO4E turbos, 7psi external wastegates. I have to take my long tubes off now I guess but I'll be selling those. I intend to post pictures as i do the build over the next while. Still not sure if I'm going to remote mount these or put them where the cats went. I'm planning on running a nice big front mount intercooler to go with this. The goal is 500whp and bottom 11's in the 1/4.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I'm starting a new twin turbo build. I have two 57 trim TO4E turbos, 7psi external wastegates. I have to take my long tubes off now I guess but I'll be selling those. I intend to post pictures as i do the build over the next while. Still not sure if I'm going to remote mount these or put them where the cats went. I'm planning on running a nice big front mount intercooler to go with this. The goal is 500whp and bottom 11's in the 1/4.
You should meet your goals most definitely.. Good luck on the build

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
863 Posts
Watching this. Turbo is the way I want to go.

Tom.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I have twin mid-mounts on my scat pack.. still working out some tuning bugs.. but i can guarantee it is in the 11's on spring weight

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
update!

Well I decided to run the turbos mid mount or just off the manifolds where the cats would normally go. I actually made a mistake in my first post these are not 57 trims but rather a 67 trim when its worked out. I'm just building up my parts for the build right now. I've got the intercooler, turbos, wastegates and the stainless to make this all work for the hot side pipes. I'll post pics when I get more of the parts I need and I'm closer to actually getting to work on it. Guess I'm selling my long tubes now. i really liked the way those sounded. Oh well jet engine style turbo whistling is cool too.

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
2,714 Posts
Subscribing and looking forward to seeing this.

500 rwhp should be a walk in the park. Who's going to tune it for you?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Subscribing and looking forward to seeing this.

500 rwhp should be a walk in the park. Who's going to tune it for you?

That's the ONE very big question mark on this build for me. I can fabricate all the physical stuff no problem. I have tuned a supercharged 2000 ss camaro with hptuners before. I speed density tuned it myself with a friend. I don't have hptuners for a dodge and from what I understand these hemi's with vvt are much harder to tune. When I get a bit further along with this I was going to start looking a bit more in depth. Either get Hptuners for dodge.......call diablo and see if my old predator tuner can be loaded up with a custom Forced induction tune........contact a local tuner....or go SCT for it.

·
Registered
2015 SRT392 A8 in white pearl coat
1,352 Posts
Its (inducer size/exducer ) x100.
INDUCERS AND EXDUCERS FOR DUMMIES (ah... that would be me)

I was just doing some studying about this as I get the basic concept, but needed to dive in to learn a little. Our OP no doubt knows all this, but I thought I'd do a quick "turbos for dummies" post to help those as confused as I am.

Found a great turbo diagram online, but for some reason, can't get it to post here, so just provided it as a link below:

CLICKY HERE

Along with this explanation:
Trim is a ratio of inducer vs. exducer of a compressor or turbine wheel.
Minor wheel diameter would be the inducer on a compressor wheel and the exducer would be considered the major diameter.
Formula for determining trim:
[(minor wheel diameter)x(minor wheel diameter) / (major wheel diameter)x (major wheel diameter)] x 100= compressor / turbine wheel trim
For example using a small turbine for a Honda:
(inducer = 2.290", exducer = 2.950")
trim = [(2.290)(2.290) / (2.950)(2.950)] x 100
trim =(5.2441 / 8.7025) x 100
trim =.6026 x 100
trim = 60.26 (Or roughly 60)

Anyway, after doing a little research, I think I understand at least the basics of what TRIM is... thanks to the above info that i found. Thought I'd share in case I'm not the only turbine dummy in town.

The rest of that very informative post was found here: CLICKY

Gary

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
2,714 Posts
INDUCERS AND EXDUCERS FOR DUMMIES (ah... that would be me)

I was just doing some studying about this as I get the basic concept, but needed to dive in to learn a little. Our OP no doubt knows all this, but I thought I'd do a quick "turbos for dummies" post to help those as confused as I am.

Found a great turbo diagram online, but for some reason, can't get it to post here, so just provided it as a link below:

CLICKY HERE

Along with this explanation:
Trim is a ratio of inducer vs. exducer of a compressor or turbine wheel.
Minor wheel diameter would be the inducer on a compressor wheel and the exducer would be considered the major diameter.
Formula for determining trim:
[(minor wheel diameter)x(minor wheel diameter) / (major wheel diameter)x (major wheel diameter)] x 100= compressor / turbine wheel trim
For example using a small turbine for a Honda:
(inducer = 2.290", exducer = 2.950")
trim = [(2.290)(2.290) / (2.950)(2.950)] x 100
trim =(5.2441 / 8.7025) x 100
trim =.6026 x 100
trim = 60.26 (Or roughly 60)

Anyway, after doing a little research, I think I understand at least the basics of what TRIM is... thanks to the above info that i found. Thought I'd share in case I'm not the only turbine dummy in town.

The rest of that very informative post was found here: CLICKY

Gary
Thanks for posting that up Gary!

·
Registered
14 Challenger Classic
29 Posts
What kind of long tube headers you got ? And off what engine ?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What kind of long tube headers you got ? And off what engine ?
I have Maximizer long tube headers. They are obx headers with a sand blast finish. It looks titanium. They were an easy 25whp pickup. They are on a 5.7.

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
2,714 Posts
I've attached some pics of some of the parts I have for the turbo build. I need a few more yet. I built the oil sump for the turbos. I have to paint it yet.
Nice job on the tank. Is it mild steel or aluminum (it looks like mild steel, but pictures can be fooling).

What brand turbo's are those?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Nice job on the tank. Is it mild steel or aluminum (it looks like mild steel, but pictures can be fooling).

What brand turbo's are those?

The oil tank is a mild steel. It has two 10an male fittings in there and one 8an fitting for the oil pump. The turbo's are a TO4E turbos I got from cxracing. I'm actually pretty impressed with the initial quality of the turbo's. They even came with the balance sheets.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Are you planning to mount each turbo to the headlight inlets?
I'm going to mount them where the stock cats would be. Mounting them up in the openings just causes to much fabrication with not a ton of gain of it.

1 - 20 of 186 Posts