Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I ordered an 8 psi Magnuson kit from Arrington roughly a month ago. I learned it has been shipped out on friday so I started to disassemble the car.

I have about 4,500 miles on it and it is a 2012 R/T 6sm with STP and some other mods that are not important for this thread.

The kit I ordered came with:

Single competition turbine fuel pump ( good for 700 hp)
Injectors
Fuel rails
Tuner and tune
8 psi pulley
Head unit
Intercooler core
Heat exchanger and coolant pump
Plumbing
Idler pulleys
Serpentine belt
Pins for crank
**** Whatever else is needed for install. Most people know of these kits, but if your new to them just know they TRUELY come with everything needed for install. This even includes loctite and things like that.

I also ordered:

Dayco belt tensioner
Billet Catch Can
180 Degree Thermostat

I used SiliconeIntakes.com to make my own fender pull CAI. A HUGE THANKS to WYGOSLW for this list.

4 x T-Bolt Clamp for 4.0" Silicone Parts (CLA000310) = $15.60
1 x 4.0" Silicone Straight Coupler, Black (SIL000437) = $19.98
1 x 4.0" Pump Mounting Kit (CLA000719) = $6.99
1 x Silicone Reducer, 45° bend - 4.0" to 3.5" - Black (BRE000900) = $19.99
1 x Silicone Port System (ANF000500) = $14.99
1 x 2' Mandrel Bent Aluminum 90° Bend, 4.0" (SIL000778) = $29.99
1 x 1' Mandrel Bent Aluminum 45° Bend, 4.0" (SIL000288) = $19.99

I will post later about the Filter I used. I want to make sure it fits before I list this in Inventory. But it is a K&N 4" OD x 9" length.

You will need some sort of 90 degree bracket also to mount this guy down near the fender. Keep in mind things vibrate so some rubber weatherstripping or another sort of isolator might be handy, as well as nuts with the nylon insert so they don't back off. The car will have to be cut a little here too, so it's a good idea to repaint the cut surfaces to fend off rust.

Plan on ordering:

Dogbone DONE!
Green Belt ( whatever in the hell the name actually is) DONE! ( went with a Gates belt)

profile.jpg

Reactions: driller and 6point4

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The best thing to say to someone who is thinking about doing this at home or not is find the instructions. Simply go to Magnuson LLC's website and look up install directions for a 2009 or 2010 challenger. Sure this may not be your year but it will give you a great idea of how simple this actually is.

I am doing this at home in my garage. The only thing that might effect my time table is shipping of my parts. I have been told the SC shipped out on friday, but I do not have a tracking #. I have been told that the fuel pump is not ready to be shipped out yet. I have also been told the tuner was not in on friday so the handheld is also waiting shipment. WHO KNOWS if these items will be here when I need them! I have to roof a house on friday to sunday, so realistically the part need to be here soon or this project will go into next week.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tried my best to keep the car clean. Think I did a pretty good job except for that damn mouse who decided to make a nest in the valley under my intake manifold. The block must have been toasty one day in the fall and that was that. This is the one drawback of not using a car for a DD.

So far I have three tips for anyone doing this.

1) DO NOT slam the trunk shut after you disconnect the battery :D. I knew it right when it shut, but I still had to crawl through the backseat to open it back up.

2) A 10MM ratcheting wrench will help you greatly, ESPECIALLY when you need to take off the horns. Yes the horns...

3) The fan is a terrible thing to try to remove upwards. If you can get the car high enough to drop it out the bottom that is ideal. If not, you will find yourself using a screwdriver like a prybar just to get this assembly unwedged every two seconds.

I am taking pictures here and there, but once again Magnuson has GREAT directions online. They took a picture every single step so I am not going to do the same thing.

Stock.jpg
bare.jpg

Reactions: ChrisNTN

·
Banned
575 Posts
Good luck to ya, the install is fairly easy just take your time. One thing I will recommend is definitely solder the MAP Sensor wires, do not use the blue connectors.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good luck to ya, the install is fairly easy just take your time. One thing I will recommend is definitely solder the MAP Sensor wires, do not use the blue connectors.
Thank you. It seems like solid advice. I have a soldering iron, solder, and a heat gun in my tool inventory already. I just need to go get some heat shrink and it's good to go.

·
Registered
2013 SRT8
1,008 Posts
Is there any sort of tuning required afterwards that would need to be done at a shop? Or can it all be do with the included tuner?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
5,634 Posts
Nice work don't forget to post some pictures of progress. Good Luck!

·
Premium Member
2009 Dodge Challenger
657 Posts
Looking forward for more pics. I'd love to take mine out just to reinstall it again. It was fun!

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Right on, it is fun. I'll do my best to take pictures of critical moments.

@ ArcherAce, I don't want to be misleading about the price, so I will just say how I went about finding it. I went on Arrington's site and found the SC that fit my year. They have 3 different setups. The prices between these kits can vary like $1500. I do not want to be misleading and list a price which is not for your car. Look it up bro, any vendor has some options.

@ Hemi1031, you can choose to have it tuned after the install. The canned tune is good but I'm sure if you are on a set of rollers they will get a little more power outta it and a slightly better curve. Remember this SCer has been around a while with many, many cars tuned for it. Of course the canned tune will be on the safer side. Personally I am gonna get a tune after I get my LT's.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good news... Everything should be here Tuesday. I will be waiting on the dogbone and a gates belt because I ordered that today, but they are in stock so I do not plan on these items delaying the install.

·
Banned
553 Posts
Awesome. Following the thread. Keep the pics coming.

Couple of quick suggestions:
1. Take pictures of all the packets separately. Things may very well be missing, so to save you tearing up your garage and pulling your hair out wondering if you misplaced it, you have the pics to see if it was in the pack. All the stages are in separate bags, so that's easy enough. You should be good with the 5.7 kit since they have been shipping them for years, but the 6.4 kit had some growing pains still.

2. An easy way to perfectly line up the Maggie and not have gasket slide around or be trying to get all the holes to line up is to take 4 of the original bolts (it will come with new bolts), cut the heads off and clean them up a bit, then just with your fingers, screw them back into the block enough that they are sturdy but standing tall. You can then lift the Maggie over these guide bolts and it will slide right into place. You can then put in a couple of the new bolts, and take guide bolts out again. Perfect way to slip it right into place.

Good luck, look forward to the burn-out video at the end.

·
Premium Member
1,956 Posts
Good for you!!! I am not as proud of my skills anymore so I had AFR install my SC.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

1. Take pictures of all the packets separately. Things may very well be missing, so to save you tearing up your garage and pulling your hair out wondering if you misplaced it, you have the pics to see if it was in the pack. All the stages are in separate bags, so that's easy enough. You should be good with the 5.7 kit since they have been shipping them for years, but the 6.4 kit had some growing pains still.

2. An easy way to perfectly line up the Maggie and not have gasket slide around or be trying to get all the holes to line up is to take 4 of the original bolts (it will come with new bolts), cut the heads off and clean them up a bit, then just with your fingers, screw them back into the block enough that they are sturdy but standing tall. You can then lift the Maggie over these guide bolts and it will slide right into place. You can then put in a couple of the new bolts, and take guide bolts out again. Perfect way to slip it right into place.

Changing the old bolts into studs for alignment is a very sharp idea, we use tricks like that at work but I never though of applying it here, thank you.

I did plan on taking pictures of the inventory but not for the reason you stated. It seems your full of good ideas. Thanks for sharing some with us.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Good for you!!! I am not as proud of my skills anymore so I had AFR install my SC.
Well, it's a good shop. Hey nice GRILL!!!! seems we have the same taste.

·
Banned
553 Posts
Changing the old bolts into studs for alignment is a very sharp idea, we use tricks like that at work but I never though of applying it here, thank you.

I did plan on taking pictures of the inventory but not for the reason you stated. It seems your full of good ideas. Thanks for sharing some with us.
I can't take credit for the studs idea though, a buddy Stevo on another forum gave me the heads up there. Worked great.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts

Both good points. Another is, to paint the IC before you install, if you don't want if visible through the grille. Picked that up on the other forum, also. I'm all ears on these type of posts. By next April, I will have one!!! Come hell or high water!!! I must have read the 5.7 install manual for the Maggie 20 times already!! Good luck on your install!! :clap:

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks Blue

I have to see it before I paint it. I am by no means trying to make a sleeper. Next mod will be spring and prob headers, catless, straight pipe. Louder the better!

·
Banned
553 Posts
1 - 20 of 100 Posts