Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Challenger SRT
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In North Carolina (and CA) and I don't know how many other states... almost all gas stations sell gas that contains 10% ethanol.

I remember when that started in my home town years ago. I don't know if it was my imagination but it seemed like my fuel economy got worse. I hated the stuff.

Until my last fill up I had forgotten all about ethanol, when I noticed a little tag on the pump that said, "Contains 10% Ethanol". So I searched Google to see which stations, if any, sell ethanol free gas. I ran across this website.

Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada

Turns out there is only one, single station where I live that sells 93 octane ethanol free gas. It's a run down mom & pop shop out in the middle of nowhere. It was a fair bit more expensive, but I can actually feel the difference!

The ethanol industry has a very powerful lobby, and to avoid delving into politics I will just say it's surprisingly hard to find pure gasoline. I'm very grateful I was able to fine ONE service station in my city who sells it.

I would be interested to see if others are doing the same.

·
Premium Member
1,260 Posts
In North Carolina (and CA) and I don't know how many other states... almost all gas stations sell gas that contains 10% ethanol.

I remember when that started in my home town years ago. I don't know if it was my imagination but it seemed like my fuel economy got worse. I hated the stuff.

Until my last fill up I had forgotten all about ethanol, when I noticed a little tag on the pump that said, "Contains 10% Ethanol". So I searched Google to see which stations, if any, sell ethanol free gas. I ran across this website.

Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada

Turns out there is only one, single station where I live that sells 93 octane ethanol free gas. It's a run down mom & pop shop out in the middle of nowhere. It was a fair bit more expensive, but I can actually feel the difference!

The ethanol industry has a very powerful lobby, and to avoid delving into politics I will just say it's surprisingly hard to find pure gasoline. I'm very grateful I was able to fine ONE service station in my city who sells it.

I would be interested to see if others are doing the same.
Its the corn lobby. Read up on it if you want to make yourself sick.

·
Registered
4,224 Posts
We only have 90 octane pure gas here in North GA. I tried running two tank fulls a while back and did notice a slight increase in MPG. However, 90 octane didn't allow my car to not pull some timing, and I noticed a decrease in power.

·
Premium Member
1,260 Posts
I can get 94 Octane all day long where I live (with "up" to 10% Ethanol) OR 91 Octane Ethanol free.

Cars sold in Canada have been good to use gas with Ethanol for years now, maybe the US too for all I know.

Brings up an interesting point though...use the 91 pure, or 94 with Ethanol?......my choice is the 94 for 3 reasons...

1) The "up to" thing...I've heard (no proof) that its just a disclaimer because of the way it is bulk refined \ processed there MAY be Ethanol in there, but only a couple of percent.

2) Car has a Diablo 93 tune and pulls no timing running the 94 Octane w Ethanol, runs like shit on the 91 stuff (with a 91 tune).

3) Octane is Octane with or without Ethanol and I want 94 over 91 as long as I can keep getting it.

They also advertise it as their "best" gas with 5 times the minimum mandated detergents, blah, blah, blah

Yeah, its 20% or so more expensive than regular, but I'm lucky to be able to get it at all I suppose.

·
Premium Member
2014 100th Annivesary R/T
517 Posts
Same here

I switched to ethanol free gas about 2 months ago, 2-3 mpg better as well as better performance. There is a couple stations near me, but still have to drive out of my way to get it, and its about 50 cents more a gallon, but in the bigger picture still cheaper per tank of gas than ethanol enhanced gas is.

-Kenny

·
Premium Member
623 Posts
I use ethanol free 93 octane pure gas. Like the others have posted, its about 50 cents higher in price. I carry a list of gas stations that have pure gas, in the glove box, for the times I travel outside my local area. If its not too far out of the way, I will purchase gas at one of those stations.

If a station is not available, then I will buy enough ethanol gas to get me to a station that doesn't have ethanol.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Here is the problem with no ethanol fuel, especially premium. No ethanol fuel is typically a good bit higher and thus not purchased as much... premium fuel amplify's this effect. You end up purchasing stale fuel that could be months old.

You are also most likely purchasing fuel from a Non Top-Tier station. The lack of detergent additives really isn't a good combo with the stale fuel.

So... while the car may run better for a period of time, after thousands of miles the combustion chambers will be full of junk.

Given the choice, I would purchase Top-Tier E10 93 octane over off brand 100% 93 octane fuel. Now, if you can find a top-tier selling 100%... jump all over that.

·
Registered
2015 SRT
1,261 Posts
Ethanol free=more btu/gal=more potential energy released=more mpg

I agree with the stale fuel comment though. Bowling Green, about 100 miles away, has one pump with 93 ethanol free. I'd run it if it were readily avaliable.

·
Premium Member
2,450 Posts
Mine is also obtained from a local top-tier refinery. Plus, NOT having ethanol in it eliminates worrying about the age of the fuel...it doesn't 'go bad' in months, like ethanol added fuel does, which makes it great for garage queens and lawn mowers/snow blowers that sit for months...

·
Registered
45 Posts

I agree with the stale fuel comment though. Bowling Green, about 100 miles away, has one pump with 93 ethanol free. I'd run it if it were readily avaliable.
And I filled up a BMW there a couple of years ago when traveling through! Ethanol is more corrosive than pure gas and as mentioned above is bad on garage queens, particularly classic cars that were designed before ethanol became common. I try to use it in my old cars for that reason but haven't tried any in my Challenger yet. There's only one station near me selling both regular and premium pure gas. That pure-gas website is handy if you're planning a trip!

·
Premium Member
623 Posts
Here is the problem with no ethanol fuel, especially premium. No ethanol fuel is typically a good bit higher and thus not purchased as much... premium fuel amplify's this effect. You end up purchasing stale fuel that could be months old.

You are also most likely purchasing fuel from a Non Top-Tier station. The lack of detergent additives really isn't a good combo with the stale fuel.

So... while the car may run better for a period of time, after thousands of miles the combustion chambers will be full of junk.

Given the choice, I would purchase Top-Tier E10 93 octane over off brand 100% 93 octane fuel. Now, if you can find a top-tier selling 100%... jump all over that.
The station I use is a Mom and Pop store that only sells non-ethanol gas. They sell all the normal octane levels
(87, 89 and 93). The station is quite busy all the time.

I changed spark plugs recently and the old plugs looked beautiful.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Fuel turnover is the most important aspect for any fuel. All forms of gasoline to begin to grow stale in as little as 30 days. This doesn't mean they won't run, they are beginning to degrade. This is why products like Startron and other stabilizers are important in fuel that will be stored.

If you can buy no ethanol fuel with some good turnover, then throw in a bottle of Chevron Techron every few fillups and call it a day. I completely agree that no ethanol fuel has more BTU's and you will see slightly more mileage.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
I switched to ethanol free gas about 2 months ago, 2-3 mpg better as well as better performance. There is a couple stations near me, but still have to drive out of my way to get it, and its about 50 cents more a gallon, but in the bigger picture still cheaper per tank of gas than ethanol enhanced gas is.

-Kenny
How do you figure it's cheaper per tank? It's 50 cents more per gallon and a gallon of premium now is about $3.00. So if you figure around 20 MPG average on ethanol gas, you'd have to get 23.3 MPG on the ethanol free gas just to break even. And I bet you're not getting even 3 MPG better. When I tried ethanol free gas, I got 1.5 MPG better. It just wasn't worth it.

Mike

·
Registered
491 Posts
Good catch Mike!

Well just to take the counter point I run E 85 whenever I can. I believe in American fuel and getting away from foreign (arab) oil. I also do not buy Chinese made products whenever possible.Like the prople dont like the government.

I run about 30% e 85 in one of my Hondas for about 7 years now, The last warm season I ran 100%. Im on my second tank already this year. E-85 bought at the Pilot for 1.99 a gallon.

I run 50/50 mix,gas and e85 in my Chrysler 440(high compression inefficient heads) with a modified Quadrajet. The vehicle sat all winter I just fired it up 3 weeks ago.

9 years ago I bought this house. Got a new riding lawnmower ,weed eater and leaf blower. I run 10% 89 octane fuel in them all. Last 4-5 years I dont even drain the tanks any more.

All running all running pretty well despite my lack of maintenance and attention.

I could go on and on about it or how,threw my adult life, i changed over from r12 to 134a freon in the early nineties when it was "bad" or impossible,run acetone in my gas,slotted my own rotors,redrilled the bolt pattern for an upgraded rotor conversion (dangerous!),one inch or larger T bars work in a Chrysler torsen bar suspension etc etc.

I have gotten to the point of middle age that if 10 people say its bad and one say it works I go with the one.

Just my 2 cents.

http://allparnews.com/index.php/2015/04/e85-tuned-challenger-hellcat-runs-10-71-28517

·
Premium Member
2013 RT Classic
537 Posts
If E85 were much more available, I would switch to it in n NY second. The car needs to be tuned for it as there is less energy in a gallon so you burn a little more but the natural Octane rating is over 100! Where I live there is only one station and they are pretty few and far between, too far apart to switch a car over to it that is a daily driver or cruser. I know cars that are track only and they are tuned for it, they love it as it allows more boost without detonation and as it is the same or less than a gallon of regular the price is right when compared to racing fuel at over five bucks a gallon!

·
Registered
1,033 Posts

And runs dirtier. Ethanol also has a higher octane rating, it's like adding octane booster, some guys run E85 in some cars not made for it for the higher octane and cleaner running.

Here you'd be hard pressed to find pure gas, 10% Ethanol is the norm.

·
Registered
98 Posts
The ethanol-free at station by me is refined by ExxonMobil and they sell plenty of it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Doesn't matter who refines it. what matters is what additives are added to it before it hits the tanks at your gas station.

And yes, news flash. any fuel can separate over a period of time. There's a reason why they've been selling fuel stabilizers since the 50's.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts