Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am getting ready to upgrade my audio system in my R/T Challenger. I have the base audio. I was using a Charger RT the other day, that has the Kicker system and liked it. So that is kinda what I am going for. I want a system that is clear with nice bass, nothing crazy. I also want to keep the stock head unit. I was originally looking at this setup; Kicker ZX700.5 5 channel amp which will power two pairs of KS6930 speakers, and a CVR12 sub in a vented sub box. This is costing me around $815 for the components, and I will install myself. Now I have been wondering if I need to go this route? Would simply replacing the stock speakers, and then installing a sub be sufficient? Or for it to sound like or better than the OEM Kicker systems do I need to power the speakers with the AMP? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Ryan

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
So is your total budget $815? I'm not a fan of Kicker speakers at all. My buddy has their highest end speakers in his Charger and I don't like them too much. I love their amps though.

My biggest tip of advice is keep the rear speakers stock and spend more money on your front stage. I also would advise doing research on other brands and check out some forums.

Here's an idea:

For your front stage: WoofersEtc.com - SLC 265 Kick - Rainbow SLC 6.5" 2-Way Component System

Sub Stage: WoofersEtc.com - ID12D2 V.3 - Image Dynamics 12" Dual 2 Ohm Subwoofer

Amp: WoofersEtc.com - 10ZX650.4 - Kicker 4 Channel 650W ZX Series Amplifier

Run the sub bridged in a nice lil sealed box and you would have a pretty decent sounding system that is under your budget and would blow the Kicker speakers out of the water.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the suggestions... My budget isn't $815, that was just the cost of the setup above which was the recommendation by one of my local audio shops. However it seems that these shops just push the brand they have the best contract with. Another shop was pushing a JL setup. I just wanted to get some unbiased opinions. I would actually like to spend less. If I can get away with just drop in speakers and a sub, that would be good. The shops act like that would be no improvement, but I know they are also trying to sell..

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Yea, it is hard to find a good shop. The local ones I know still push their product to me even though they know what I'm talking about lol. Are you doing the install your self? And best place to get opinions and read reviews is DIYMA.com - Car Audio Forum & 12 volt Community Board ... guys over there are no joke when it comes to audio.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am doing the install myself. I am thinking about just adding a sub, and drop in speakers. Then if that doesn't cut it, I will add a four channel amp to power the speakers. Any suggestions on good 3 or 4 way speakers?

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
I wouldn't do anything more than 2 way. Pioneer Revs are your best bet.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts