Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a problem that has occured twice so far this year....in the sub-zero weather....the car will start normally at home...I will drive it some distance in sub zero weather(20 to 40 below zero F)....turn it off...come back within 10-30 minutes, and I have a problem starting it up because it seems that the brake pedal is frozen!......After I panicked the first time and pulled out the start button, rocked the car back and forth, I pressed very heavily on the brake pedal and the car started.....the second time(2 months later), I tried and rocked the car back and forth and then remembered to press heavily on the brake(I thought I was going to bend the pedal) and the car started.....Any ideas? I have asked my dealership service manager to check with Chrysler, but nothing yet....

·
Premium Member
2,009 Posts
Good Lord... 40º BELOW! :yikes: I'd get one foot out my door and die of frostbite.

:bowdown: My hat's off to you, brother.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Strange. I've never had that happen to me at -40. I don't have push-button start though.

·
Registered
558 Posts
My best guess, sticking with the keep it simple principle (if this is an Automatic trans car) is the plunger on the brake pedal switch is not allowed to release due to the brake pedal sticking. The starter will not engage if that plunger switch can't move. I would be concerned that you may have moisture in your brake fluid that is giving you problems in such severe low temperatures. I would recommend changing out the brake fluid as a starting point, it's good maintenance and a cheap test.

Again, it's my best guess but it's a start. Best of luck.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Brrrrrr.... can relate. Drive the winter beater (affectionately known as the wife's car) :no:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts