Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I talked to a dealer here in Houston this AM who told me they could order a widebody Hellcat in Plum Crazy for me.

They said they are selling at sticker price; no markups and no discounts. Does that sound right? Or are some dealers selling them below sticker? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Not much of a markup that I'm seeing but their still making a killing on them in their own sneaky ways..76-80 round my parts

·
Premium Member
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So I talked yesterday to a dealer about ordering a new Hellcat...they are telling me they want a $9K non-refundable deposit if they order it cuz they are afraid I could back out.

Is this typical? Normal? Legal?

·
Registered
14,291 Posts
Lol, that dealer is smoking crack. Right, because if you back out there won't be another person on earth who would ever buy that car and they would be stuck with it forever. :D

I would never give more than a $1,000, preferably $500 and it would be refundable.

$9.000???? Seriously???

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14,291 Posts
The M6 Hellcat just started production a few weeks ago for 18 so should be even more sought after, although he might have a point about the M6, they are harder to sell. But not $9,000 harder!!! :D

·
Registered
86 Posts
Well if they think that they'll have a hard time selling it if you back out I hope your getting a good discount off msrp because you ARE buying it. 9k is too much and I've never heard that before. Look elsewhere my friend as this late in the 18 model year you should be getting a deal.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
202 Posts
Hi....it all depends on your relationship with the dealer...we have purchased 9 cars from our dealer in 9 years...two 2010 RT's, 2 2012 392's, one 2015 392, one 2015 Hellcat, a 2012 Chrysler 300C, and a Charger RT...and now the 2018 Widebody...

We picked up our widebody HC yesterday..ordered it on Jan 4th....sticker was $78,330....we added window tint and 7 yr wheel and tire insurance (a must)..and when the dust settled, the dealership is making $53 on the entire deal!!! They give us the holdback and dealer cost on the add-ons...So I guess it just depends on who you are dealing with and your history with them!!!

btw, they are getting 4 Demons in..two are sold (15k above sticker) and the other two are available.....of course there will be a premium as the Demon is one hell of an investment!

·
Registered
14,291 Posts
RS said about mid May the latest to order, don't know how much backlog they've got and still trying to get Demons thru the upfitter. Don't know if Plum Crazy coming back for 19 either.

·
Registered
188 Posts
You guys may not believe this but they don't make a lot of Hellcats because they can't sell a lot of Hellcats. A manual transmission Cat has a very limited customer base. Sometimes cars are rare because it's a limited production model but more often than not they just can't sell all the cars they make.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I would also think delivery would probably be in May sometime; not only is it a M6 it's also pushing a year old hence the $9000 loss.

·
Registered
14,291 Posts
But this would be an ordered car so good luck getting 9 grand off of that, it's not like it's been on the lot all year.

The Hellcat is still selling well, counting Demon and estimating 2018 you're looking at over 32,000 Hellcats built in 4 years, not too shabby at that price level.

The M6 is waning though. It used to be in the 30+% range, not sure now but guessing it will be down. The A8 probably has a lot to do with that. Hellcat M6 way down, they've only built a few so far this year. A 2018 Widebody M6 will be pretty rare.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I meant if he backed out of the deal and they had to put it on the lot to sell, it would be an 2018 when 2019's are around the corner, the dealer would have to discount it.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I meant if he backed out of the deal and they had to put it on the lot to sell, it would be an 2018 when 2019's are around the corner, the dealer would have to discount it.
I get that so therefore he should get a good deal off msrp then he won't back out. People who have never driven a Hellcat maybe are hesitant but trust me after I've had my 18 WB for 5 weeks these cars are a blast and I have yet to see another WB around here

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14,291 Posts
Ok I read you, but these dealers are funny and stubborn about Hellcats, they still have 2016s out there brand new!

·
Super Moderator
15,397 Posts
Ok I read you, but these dealers are funny and stubborn about Hellcats, they still have 2016s out there brand new!

It came down to greed and mark-ups. Everyone that "had to have one now!" is out of the picture and the dealers were still of the mindset that what was going on in late 2014 to 2015 is still going on.

2016 peaked for Hellcat sales and they've dropped considerably - under 2.5k units for USA production. I'd expect 2018 HC sales will be similar.

Many buyers hold off looking for dealers with cuts in prices or buying a used HC that turns up.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
What does the Wide Body option get you beyond larger rubber and tack on fender flares? Is this all there is or is there more to it?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts