Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all,
my warranty will be up very shortly and I'm finally looking into doing some decently heavy mods. so I've been debating whether or not to stay NA and possible doing a 426 stroker, heads cam etc OR going forced induction and adding either a pro charger or whipple. not really looking to do nitrous at all.
My car is a 2015 SRT 392 auto 8 speed. how much power can the trans hold ?

NA build
  • 426 stroker kit
  • custom grind cam
  • ported heads
  • ported manifold
  • hellcat throttle body
  • long tube headers

Forced induction
Whipple at 6 lbs
OR
pro charger at 6Lbs

So whats everyones opinion here ? Ive always leaned towards and NA build for some reason. super charging seems like the riskier route to me as i don't want to pop a piston ring land.

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
hey all,
my warranty will be up very shortly and I'm finally looking into doing some decently heavy mods. so I've been debating whether or not to stay NA and possible doing a 426 stroker, heads cam etc OR going forced induction and adding either a pro charger or whipple. not really looking to do nitrous at all.

NA build
  • 426 stroker kit
  • custom grind cam
  • ported heads
  • ported manifold
  • hellcat throttle body
  • long tube headers

Forced induction
Whipple at 6 lbs
OR
pro charger at 6Lbs

So whats everyones opinion here ? Ive always leaned towards and NA build for some reason. super charging seems like the riskier route to me as i don't want to pop a piston ring land.
I believe the max on our 8speed is 650hp.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,864 Posts
If it is going to be mostly a daily drive, I just would throw a 6lb whipple on it and call it a day. If one of the pistons fail...then tear it apart and build it up. Just my $0.02.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I've done a bit of research and have debated the same exact thing. Bottom line is N/A is more expensive. While it *can* be expensive, boost is cheaper and significantly easier to install. In that, I mean you(and a friend if you want) can install a supercharger in an afternoon provided you have everything on hand that you need. You'll have to send off parts to get it stroked, and you HAVE to pay someone else to help you build it.

I've chosen to supercharge when the wallet allows it.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I would start with the Whipple and when you want more power swap in a low compression shortblock. I've had a Maggie on my Scat Pack for over 2 years, the last year at 675whp running it weekly at the strip and when I had swapped to a SHR Transmission they said my core was actually in good shape. Diablo is releasing TCM tuning for our 8 Speeds, whatever route you go make sure the tuner doesn't remove too much of the torque management or the stock 8 speed will not last.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Get a 426 or even a 440 stroker done up on your 392.
Then down the road if u still want more, Bolton a Whipple...!

Over 700whp will be your reward after all that...:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
hey all,

NA build
  • 426 stroker kit
  • custom grind cam
  • ported heads
  • ported manifold
  • hellcat throttle body
  • long tube headers

Forced induction
Whipple at 6 lbs
OR
pro charger at 6Lbs

Forget about FI with the stock pistons, especially with Pro Charger. The factory manifold SRV causes AFR issues and a Whipple will at least do away with that problem.

You can probably use a Maggie @ 6lbs on the stock bottom end, however you will only see around 530 rwhp or so.

A Whipple and a Hellcat short block will set you back north of 15k if you do it right. This would include installation.

Other than sounding cool, I also see no reason to invest a ton of money just to say you have a 426.

My recommendation would be to stay with a NA 392, keep the stock heads, install a good cam and get headers, manifold, etc.

Regardless of what other people believe on here, you can see 500 rwhp + if it is tuned right.

If you need more than 500 rwhp... the answer is to sell your SRT 392 and upgrade to a Hellcat.

By the time you purchased a Whipple, Hellcat short block and a upgraded 8HP70... you'll have about 70k in your SRT 392.

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack
1,189 Posts
If you supercharge, be sure to add in the budget for forged pistons. They don't hold up well even with 6psi in many cases. You could go with more boost with forged internals and get more bang for your buck out of the supercharged setup.

Otherwise with a 426 build I would just ensure the rest of the drivetrain is up to par. Might be better off just getting a Hellcat 8HP90 trans or looking into that upgraded trans that Paramount sells. I don't think the 8HP70 would hold up well much past 550hp, at least from what I've heard anyway.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I was gonna say 426 at first but if you add a set of forged dropins to the FI build it still maybe cheaper then the 426 route. I probably would go the blower and forged dropins route if it's not a big difference in price. You should be able to make over 600hp safely with that combo

·
Registered
2015 SRT
178 Posts
hey all,

NA build
  • 426 stroker kit
  • custom grind cam
  • ported heads
  • ported manifold
  • hellcat throttle body
  • long tube headers

Forced induction
Whipple at 6 lbs
OR
pro charger at 6Lbs

I built a 2015 SRT 392 with A8 this year.

Whipple at 12lbs
Forged internals
Hellcat cam
DSS driveshaft

I did all the wrenching myself and I have about 15k in all of it. I'm still running the stock transmission. I am anxiously awaiting the TCM tuning as the car definitely needs it. It's still docile when I stay out of it, though the whipple is a bit like a light switch when the bypass closes. The car is still running stock Pirelli summer tires on the street and if I floor it below 30mph it spins the tires.

I don't know where you are from, but find your tuner first and then buy parts. Email tuning has been the most frustrating part of the process for me because there are not many good Hemi tuners out there so they are all ridiculously busy. If your patience for that is low, I have to agree with the sentiment of trading for a Hellcat. I spent 2 months building the car, all summer email tuning and I'm running only marginally faster than a stock Hellcat. I'm also under the hood a great deal more playing with the belt drive or catch can, checking for leaks or whatever else.

Don't mistake what I am saying as regret, the looks I get from people when they find out I rebuilt a 5k mile engine from scratch and voided a warranty is priceless.

Good luck to you, no matter what you choose. You will enjoy the extra horsepower.

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
26 Posts
Both!

IMHO, boost is never a good idea without forged internals.

It's all good rolling around town at 8lbs, until you get to the track, or you push it too hard on a back road and pop a ring. Then you're looking at possibly replacing all the parts you would have replaced with the stroker build, plus you've damaged your heads, valves, and anything else that metal flew through at high rpm. If you think you're not going to push your supercharged car to the limit, you're lying to yourself.

I would start with the stroker. You can do a lot of it yourself with the help of a great machine shop and tuner. Then you have a bullet proof NA engine. Gap your rings and choose piston displacement for future FI. With some trans upgrades and new rear end, you could throw 30lbs at it and it wont flinch. Plus you have the pride of building your engine.

Just My 2¢.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Good post. Same dilemma here with my '15 SRT 392. I'm leaning toward the 426 with no plans of ever boosting so thinking higher compression and big cam lope. Anyone have a real world cost "all in" in a stroker build? Reliability is first on the list. I've heard too many stories with folks spending more time back in the shop than driving after a major build...especially when boosting.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Id always go NA versus boosted. Just more impressive to me and I have never been a fan of the whine of a supercharger.

392s are notorious for being poor boost motors unless you forge the bottom end or keep it very very safe on boost.

NA will definitely be more expensive if you build the block rather than just sticking with cam and heads.

PS: Why no nitrous? Nitrous is your friendddd :)

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Good post. Same dilemma here with my '15 SRT 392. I'm leaning toward the 426 with no plans of ever boosting so thinking higher compression and big cam lope. Anyone have a real world cost "all in" in a stroker build? Reliability is first on the list. I've heard too many stories with folks spending more time back in the shop than driving after a major build...especially when boosting.
Another member here was posting about a problem with his Arrington 426 build and said he had 17k in it.

Personally, I don't think the additional CI justifies the excessive cost. There is a build thread on here where a fully built 392 with cam, heads, etc made 550 rwhp on OST's Mustang Dyno. I highly doubt a 426 short block would add much to that figure.

The stock 392 heads are sufficient for any NA build, so if you really had to do it you could just get a 426 short block, pick your cam and keep your stock heads.

The MMX NSR cams are achieving some nice lope in these cars. I'm having the NSR Stage 3 Lope grind installed Friday and it should really rumble.

Reactions: MiHiHemi

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
I am with Iowa mag all the way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
375 Posts
I built a 2015 SRT 392 with A8 this year.

Whipple at 12lbs
Forged internals
Hellcat cam
DSS driveshaft

I did all the wrenching myself and I have about 15k in all of it. I'm still running the stock transmission. I am anxiously awaiting the TCM tuning as the car definitely needs it. It's still docile when I stay out of it, though the whipple is a bit like a light switch when the bypass closes. The car is still running stock Pirelli summer tires on the street and if I floor it below 30mph it spins the tires.

I don't know where you are from, but find your tuner first and then buy parts. Email tuning has been the most frustrating part of the process for me because there are not many good Hemi tuners out there so they are all ridiculously busy. If your patience for that is low, I have to agree with the sentiment of trading for a Hellcat. I spent 2 months building the car, all summer email tuning and I'm running only marginally faster than a stock Hellcat. I'm also under the hood a great deal more playing with the belt drive or catch can, checking for leaks or whatever else.

Don't mistake what I am saying as regret, the looks I get from people when they find out I rebuilt a 5k mile engine from scratch and voided a warranty is priceless.

Good luck to you, no matter what you choose. You will enjoy the extra horsepower.

I enjoyed following your build thread, my only advice is not to modify the TCM tuning unless you are ready and willing to drop in a built transmission.

·
Registered
2015 SRT
178 Posts
I enjoyed following your build thread, my only advice is not to modify the TCM tuning unless you are ready and willing to drop in a built transmission.
Is there a particular reason why? I would think proper tuning could prolong the transmission life of a stock transmission. Or at the very least help it shift more consistently with the extra power.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Maybe I read too much into your previous post, but when anyone mentions their car being docile and they want TCM Tuning, the first thing that comes to mind is messing with TM.

·
Registered
2015 SRT
178 Posts
Maybe I read too much into your previous post, but when anyone mentions their car being docile and they want TCM Tuning, the first thing that comes to mind is messing with TM.
I guess I should have elaborated why I think the transmission needs a tune. The transmission is a bit confused in part throttle cruise situations where it likes to short shift or delay shifting depending how it feels. The shift itself was definitely crisper stock, but I don't know how that would be improved without increasing capacity of the internals.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts