Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its time to change the plugs on my 09 R/T, the dealership wants $5 bucks per copper plug. Can someone give me the correct part number and where to buy the copper champion sparkplugs, I am almost certain that i read in a previous thread that the copper plugs were like $1.50 per plug. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,553 Posts
Most of them are NGK but Advanced Auto does have Champion race plugs for $4 to $5 each. The NGKs Nickle ones are$2. Don't forget you have 16 of them.

·
Super Moderator
14,221 Posts
$1.50 sounds right for copper plugs. Autolite Platinums cost $2.99, Autolite Double Platinums cost $3.99, and Autolite Iridium cost $6.99 at Autozone. You can probably get them cheaper than this if you wait for a sale.

$5.00 for copper plugs- more than 3X the actual cost- is a rip-off.

Why not do it yourself and save $$?

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok after doing a little more homework i see that my car comes with NGK P/N LZFR5C–11 from the factory and not champions. So i guess that explains why there 5 bucks per plug!

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
NGK platinums have always been close to 5 bucks apiece. But they last alot longer than a copper plug does, so its worth the extra. My 91 car used plats and i was surprised with their expense, but for the performance and longevity, i'll stick with plats if thats what the factory uses. Small price for a less maintenance.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
For the 6.1 they probably use what plug you mentioned.

I've read Hemi 5.7 prefers copper plugs due to the amount of surface area for the spark to jump and combustion chamber squish & high compression ratios. The Hemi Ram forum guys ran into all sorts of problems with idle and off line performance with standard, platinums, and iridiums since they all have small surface for spark jumping? Just something I read - better to look into it further before spending cold hard cash.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts