Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2018 SRT
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You may think I'm nuts, but before passing judgement hear me out. I'm older than most here. So old, in fact, my first new car was a '66 Ram Air GTO. Back in my day, MOPAR guys were different in that most shunned the flash of GTOs, 442s, etc. Typically, they would purchase a basic/stripped down Coronet or Belvedere with whatever engine they could afford, be it a 383, 440 or 426 Hemi. These would come with steel wheels and dog dish hubcaps like this:

Having just taken delivery of a new white 2010 Challenger, and longing for what I consider the good ole days, I'm tempted to go retro with white steelies and dog dish hubcaps. If my Challenger was one of the flashier colors, I wouldn't be thinking about this, but being white it's got possibilities. There's is a bit of a conflict in that Challenger buyers of that era did want a bit more flash than the typical Coronet/Belevedere guys. Consequently, steelies weren't as common on Challengers.

All this said, has anyone ever considered such wheel treatment? Anyone know of a wheel manufacturer that makes a MOPAR OEM-style wheel with a 5 x 115 pattern? I'm in the process of checking with Stockton Wheel and Wheel Vintiques. Keeping with a retro look, I'd need maybe a 16" diameter to use a 60 series tire.

Now you can call me nuts.

·
Premium Member
17,155 Posts
You should be able to purchase a set of police steelies from your Dodge parts department.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Don't think a 16" wheel will fit over the brakes. I'm pretty sure you need 17" minimum.

·
Registered
2018 SRT
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the tip on the police wheels. I'll take a look-see. Do you know the diameter of these? Possible issue would be the fitment of the 60's era dog dish caps. Will investigate.

Good observation on the possible disc brake conflict.

·
Banned
675 Posts
Don't think a 16" wheel will fit over the brakes. I'm pretty sure you need 17" minimum.
Not sure if the R/T's are the same but aren't the rotors on the SRT's 15" That doesn't leave much room for a 16" wheel, but if they would clear the brakes they might work.

Smallest wheel I've seen on these cars is a 17"

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Not sure if the R/T's are the same but aren't the rotors on the SRT's 15" That doesn't leave much room for a 16" wheel, but if they would clear the brakes they might work.

Smallest wheel I've seen on these cars is a 17"

The R/T rotor is 13.6", but the caliper protrudes a bit from the rotor. You'd definitely want to test a wheel before committing.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Not nuts to me. Do it and then post pictures.

I think a current challenger with black steelies, hubcaps, and redlines would look great.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Dodge was minimalist from the beginning, would be a good retro look.

·
Registered
2018 SRT
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've got a friend "photoshopping" this mod for me. The scale/relationship between the wheel/tire photo and the photo of my Challenger might be a bit off, but the end product should tell me if I want to pursue. Got a feeling the wheels will present a problem. We'll see.

·
Registered
688 Posts
I too am an old fart and would love to do it, but I have an SRT, so I think it would not work for me.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Well I must be older than you as I am looking for Moon hubcaps. But I don't know if they will fit an 18" wheel.
Good luck on your hunt.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Well I must be older than you as I am looking for Moon hubcaps. But I don't know if they will fit an 18" wheel.
Good luck on your hunt.
Well, I'm 63 and ran Baby Moons on my '66 SS 396. It was triple black with stock black steel rims and blackwall tires. It was a nice clean look, plus I couldn't afford the Crager SS rims. LOL

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
The best way to get that old school stripped down look with wheels is the 18" police wheels with the chrome center caps. I honestly LOVE that look. I was considering getting a set and powdercoating them purple to match my car and using them for winter wheels while i still lived in NY.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Looks like you are getting some good support. This is a funny thread, because I woke up in a cold sweat not too long ago and thought, "what the heck am I doing with 20-inch wheels? Those are WAGON WHEELS in my book. But luckily, the 2010 20-inch chrome clads look good on the DWB R/T in the modern era. Still, I'm thinking 14-inch and 15-inch wheels are what I know, with maybe a really vintage car having 16's. I guess times changed. But not one inch bigger than 20s for me. Anyway, I think you are right that the Challenger is a bit too flashy for the dog dishes, but definitely try it and see how it works. Working class models of the 60's with the big engine crammed in are better suited to dog dishes (especially big block police cars), but definitely let us see how they work with your challenger. I agree 100%, if any color would work well, white may be it.

·
Registered
2018 SRT
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Galvatron's suggestion may prove to be the only solution. However, I continue to look/research. Figure if I find someone to make them, they will cost a small fortune. I've checked with several wheel manufacturers and have struck out. It's not surprising as there's no logical reason for a steel wheel maker to stock 17" or 18" steel wheels in a metric pattern.

Anyone heard of an adapter/spacer to change the lugs from a metric pattern to U.S.? This could work.

Ragtop4spto6sp's comments are interesting in that the Challenger design is definitely retro. Following through, why not a 60 series tire on maybe a smaller diameter rim? Granted, those interested in handling would not go for it, but it's definitely worth considering. Is there concensus that 17" is the smallest diameter rim that will fit on an R/T?

·
Premium Member
1,473 Posts
The steel police wheels are 18's and look good. You would not be the first to do this mod but I like them. You can also add the full police wheel cover which makes little sense but it's an option to get two distinct looks out of the police wheels.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts