Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, id like to paint my steering wheel inserts black to match the theme of my blacktop, is there a detailed guide on how to do it on the 11-14 model steering wheel that someone could point me towards?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
294 Posts
Hi, i just painted mine a few weeks ago. I have a 2012.

Disconnect battery and let it sit for 5-10minutes just to be safe.
Then to remove the inserts you Will need torx head sockets/screw drivers and a 10mm socket.
The bottom piece just has 2 screws on the back side, the sides(left and right) have covers that need to be popped out with a dash tool. There's a screw and bolt on each side for those. Once you have everything loose the black cover Will pull out and you just take the pieces.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Attachments

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks a lot man! Once the weather clears up here in Alberta, I'll be picking my car up. This will be my first mod, along with painting the ugly chrome-looking shifter bezel. What would you suggest to use for coating the inserts and the bezel?

·
Registered
860 Posts
Thanks a lot man! Once the weather clears up here in Alberta, I'll be picking my car up. This will be my first mod, along with painting the ugly chrome-looking shifter bezel. What would you suggest to use for coating the inserts and the bezel?

I just used a 3M scuff pad to take the shine off the pieces, then a couple coats of regular primer and a couple coats of regular spray paint and they are holding up great. I did dip my parts in water transfer print. Not sure if that helped protect the paint, so you may want to add a couple coats of clear.

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
81 Posts
Thank you SwainerX and no pulse!

It wasn't too bad really. Just slip the front dash pannel off using a plastic pry tool. There is ONE screw/bolt at the bottom right of it. You just pull the bottom dash down a bit and expose it.

When you get the dash off use a dremmel to shave away (ever so slowly and carefully) the melted tabs on the back until you see a 1mm rectangle area. When all of your tabs are ground down, very carefully start prying it off. They should come off with one little "pop". If it wont come off too easily then grind a tiny bit further. The back will come off and you can pull your chrome ring out to scuff and paint.

I used epoxy AND melted those tabs when I reassembled it.

Over all it wasn't too bad. I just took my time and tried not to screw anything up! LOL

Good luck and post pix!!!

·
Registered
30 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
I used an automotive rattle can trio. Primer, paint and clear. It was about 38.00 bucks! It's VERY resistant to scratches and wear. I got it at Car Quest. I can't remember the name but they come in the three pack. Just ask the handy helpful at the counter. ;) Dries fast and has a semi gloss/matt finish. If you're looking for glossy I would reccomend "Jam Clear" which should be at the same parts store.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts