Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, everyone...

2015 Scat Pack, about 75k miles. The power steering assist light pops on... power steering gone. Done. Finished. Ever driven one of these any length of time with zero power steering? LOL!

Took it to the dealer this AM and they’re saying the entire steering rack needs to be replaced. My extended warranty covers it as a $100 deductible, but they can’t order a new one until Monday and it’ll take five days to arrive. I have literally never heard of this happening. Is this a common thing?

Nick

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
18,659 Posts
It would fall into the not common, but anything can happen category. We've certainly seen members having their rack replaced. Your warranty includes 1st day rental?

A Guy

·
Registered
2019 Sublime Shaker and 2010 Detonator Yellow R/T Classic
1,908 Posts
I know on one of my 2010 SRTs, I had to replace the whole rack, but that was because of a pinion seal leak. The techs did not have a seal kit and Chrysler repair recommended the entire rack to be replaced even for a tiny leak.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It would fall into the not common, but anything can happen category. We've certainly seen members having their rack replaced. Your warranty includes 1st day rental?

A Guy
I’m not certain whether it’s in my warranty, but the dealer did give me a loaner. They unfortunately can’t order the part until Monday and it’ll take a few days to arrive.

I know on one of my 2010 SRTs, I had to replace the whole rack, but that was because of a pinion seal leak. The techs did not have a seal kit and Chrysler repair recommended the entire rack to be replaced even for a tiny leak.
The tech told me specifically if the controller goes bad, you have to replace the entire rack and pinion. Why is it even made like that?

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Hey, everyone...

2015 Scat Pack, about 75k miles. The power steering assist light pops on... power steering gone. Done. Finished. Ever driven one of these any length of time with zero power steering? LOL!

Took it to the dealer this AM and they’re saying the entire steering rack needs to be replaced. My extended warranty covers it as a $100 deductible, but they can’t order a new one until Monday and it’ll take five days to arrive. I have literally never heard of this happening. Is this a common thing?

Nick
I had mine replaced at like 39k miles. The dealer when ahead and replaced at no cost since it was close to the bumper to bumper warranty. They quoted me something like $3,800 so after that I got the MOPAR bumper to bumper warranty. FYI I have a 2016 Scat Pack.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Hey, everyone...

Nick
Common I don't know but the rack had to replaced in my '96 Mustang GT while under its new car warranty which means the car had less than 36K miles.

·
Premium Member
572 Posts
The steering rack on my 2016 Scat Pack was replaced under my lifetime warranty after about 39 or 40 months and 6,600 miles. It was leaking and the dealer said that their was no repair procedure for it and the whole rack must be replaced.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had mine replaced at like 39k miles. The dealer when ahead and replaced at no cost since it was close to the bumper to bumper warranty. They quoted me something like $3,800 so after that I got the MOPAR bumper to bumper warranty. FYI I have a 2016 Scat Pack.
Sheesh... so glad I got the bumper-to-warranty extended LOL! It has more than laid for itself... which makes me happy and slightly worried.

Common I don't know but the rack had to replaced in my '96 Mustang GT while under its new car warranty which means the car had less than 36K miles.
Did it do something similar and just die?

The steering rack on my 2016 Scat Pack was replaced under my lifetime warranty after about 39 or 40 months and 6,600 miles. It was leaking and the dealer said that their was no repair procedure for it and the whole rack must be replaced.
That’s what the technician told me, too. Said there were literally no serviceable parts on the assembly, including the electronics.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Small update... Chrysler warranty inspector should be out within the next day or so to inspect the car. Part has already been ordered. Apparently this is a formality with the extended bumper-to-bumper warranties when the work is over a certain amount. The dealership expects it to be covered without difficulty.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Sheesh... so glad I got the bumper-to-warranty extended LOL! It has more than laid for itself... which makes me happy and slightly worried.

Did it do something similar and just die?

That’s what the technician told me, too. Said there were literally no serviceable parts on the assembly, including the electronics.
All I can remember is somewhere I came upon a procedure for (possibly) determining if there was a problem with the steering system.

I was prompted to look for this because of the behavior of the car's steering but I am sorry I do not recall the behavior now.

The steering system "test": On a parking lot with no cars and lots of room at slow speed make a u-turn and as the turn completes let the steering wheel find its own "center". Then after noting this center make another u-turn and note the center. Do this in both directions several times. If the steering wheel is inconsistent in its centering that could be a sign of a bad steering system.

Be sure the tires are correctly inflated before doing this test.

I did this with my Mustang and the steering wheel did not consistently center. I took the car in to the dealer service department and do not recall exactly what I said but I am sure I mentioned the results of my u-turns. The rack was replaced.

Afterwards whatever behavior or symptoms that prompted me to do the u-turn tests in the first place were no longer present. I drove the car at least another 120K miles with no issues from the steering system.

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
Hey, everyone...

Nick
My ex-wife once went in and had her rack replaced...talk about throwing good money after bad...

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Still no real news yet. Part hasn’t arrived, but just to add to an above post, I did confirm that the loaner car was part of my warranty.

·
Registered
672 Posts
The electronics including the pump motor and controller are built into the rack after '15. No way to service separate parts anymore. Not the best design when an issue arises like a leak or bad motor. No choice but to change it all.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Car ever been in any kind of accident? Dodge requires rack replacement after any front wheel impact.

Most body shops don't do this, then 6 months down the road the rack goes out and the owner is screwed.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Car ever been in any kind of accident? Dodge requires rack replacement after any front wheel impact.

Most body shops don't do this, then 6 months down the road the rack goes out and the owner is screwed.
Nope, nothing like that at all.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts