Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

Does anyone know the steering ratios for the different racks for our cars?

I found a cheap 6.4 steering rack and thought it would be an upgrade.

However, after some reading, I think my 2010 STP R/T might have the same ratio?

I cannot find any information on this anywhere except a few forum posts saying the STP R/Ts have "quicker steering". Then some saying the 392 rack is the quickest. But are they the same? I tried comparing different year and model racks, but none of the part numbers match any other one. I can't even tell if the 2010 STP rack is the same as 2010 6.1 SRT or if the 2011 6.4 SRT is different than those. No solid information on this anywhere from what I can tell.

Any input?

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
3,702 Posts
Hey everyone,

Does anyone know the steering ratios for the different racks for our cars?

I found a cheap 6.4 steering rack and thought it would be an upgrade.

However, after some reading, I think my 2010 STP R/T might have the same ratio?

I cannot find any information on this anywhere except a few forum posts saying the STP R/Ts have "quicker steering". Then some saying the 392 rack is the quickest. But are they the same? I tried comparing different year and model racks, but none of the part numbers match any other one. I can't even tell if the 2010 STP rack is the same as 2010 6.1 SRT or if the 2011 6.4 SRT is different than those. No solid information on this anywhere from what I can tell.

Any input?
All I can offer is visit the local Dodge dealer parts department and see what the part number is for the right rack for your car.

The clerk might be able to tell you what other cars that rack also fits so you might be able to salvage the right rack with the right part number from another car.

Or check to see if the rack you have has the right part number for your car and thus should work

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
All I can offer is visit the local Dodge dealer parts department and see what the part number is for the right rack for your car.

The clerk might be able to tell you what other cars that rack also fits so you might be able to salvage the right rack with the right part number from another car.

Or check to see if the rack you have has the right part number for your car and thus should work
Thank you for responding, but I am searching for the steering ratio numbers. The dealers around me are no help.

·
Registered
15,909 Posts
If you search cars.com and get some VINs of various equipped cars your parts guy should be able to see if there is a difference in rack part numbers between the different cars.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
3,702 Posts
Thank you for responding, but I am searching for the steering ratio numbers. The dealers around me are no help.
The numbers are immaterial if the steering rack assembly won't fit your car. What you want is a rack that fits. If it fits it should have the right ratio. Maybe. It could bolt up but if the assembly's gear rack has a different gear teeth pitch (spacing) than the original rack the mating pinion gear won't mesh properly with the rack.

If you find a steering rack assembly that bolts to your car but has a different rack you'll have to -- thinking out loud -- possibly swap the gear rack from the old steering rack assembly, assuming the gear rack is still in good condition.

Or possibly change the pinion gear to properly mesh with the gear rack.

There are a number of other factors that can make even a gear rack or a pinion gear from another car not work in your car.

You are really better off finding a rack assembly that based on its part number will (should) bolt right in and the pinion gear mesh correctly with the rack gear teeth.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,308 Posts

Why leave the comfort of your own home when all you have to do is search on the web? I have 2 local Dodge dealerships and their parts department clerks are useful for two things (1) Jack and (2) Sh!t.

or

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The numbers are immaterial if the steering rack assembly won't fit your car. What you want is a rack that fits. If it fits it should have the right ratio. Maybe. It could bolt up but if the assembly's gear rack has a different gear teeth pitch (spacing) than the original rack the mating pinion gear won't mesh properly with the rack.

If you find a steering rack assembly that bolts to your car but has a different rack you'll have to -- thinking out loud -- possibly swap the gear rack from the old steering rack assembly, assuming the gear rack is still in good condition.

Or possibly change the pinion gear to properly mesh with the gear rack.

There are a number of other factors that can make even a gear rack or a pinion gear from another car not work in your car.

You are really better off finding a rack assembly that based on its part number will (should) bolt right in and the pinion gear mesh correctly with the rack gear teeth.
Thanks again for taking the time to respond, but there is nothing wrong with my current rack. I'm not trying to find the same one to bolt in. I am aware of the pump/hose/fit differences between the different trims. I am specifically searching for the ratio numbers of the racks, which I cannot find reliable info on.

Dodge customer service forwarded my question to technical support, I will post their response in case anyone is searching for this information later.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Why leave the comfort of your own home when all you have to do is search on the web? I have 2 local Dodge dealerships and their parts department clerks are useful for two things (1) Jack and (2) Sh!t.

or

Hah, no way I drove over there just for this. They are indeed useless for these questions.

Unfortunately, so are those parts sites. They are all different numbers across years and trims and say nothing about the ratios. They even have the 6.1 rack part number listed as correct for the 2.7. Which I know have wildly different ratios.

Guess i'll wait to see if Dodge's tech department has the info. I have never seen solid info on the ratios anywhere

1 - 8 of 8 Posts