Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
2011, Mean Green Machine
2,051 Posts
I'm not sure I'd want to tackle this on my own. One bad move and you could have that air bag deploy.

BTW .....is the steering wheel badge a rams head on the 2011's? I wonder if Speedy has done this yet?

·
Super Moderator
16,476 Posts
I'm not sure I'd want to tackle this on my own. One bad move and you could have that air bag deploy.

BTW .....is the steering wheel badge a rams head on the 2011's? I wonder if Speedy has done this yet?
The 2011's have the new dodge "shield" that is both larger and has the crossbar design with "DODGE" in the center of this.

There aren't any Ram's head logos anywhere on the 2011 - plus the nose badge is eliminated on the front facia.

·
Registered
146 Posts
You can either pull the fuse or simply disconnect the battery. If you do the latter, make sure to leave your trunk open or expect a fun time worming your way into the trunk through the passenger compartment.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
fuse

just pulling the fuse for the air bags seems like a better option...but....wouldnt they be labeled srs fuse(s)? dont see any.
i see two labeled orc maybe those are the ones? any ideas anyone? :notallthere:thx

·
Registered
149 Posts
Don't waste your money on the cheap 3D decal badge....I bought 2 of them and their cheap looking soft resin plastic and do not stick to the air bag vinyl cover.... I am not fond of the Ram Head badge but at least its a quality made chrome part and doesn't fall off.

·
Super Moderator
16,476 Posts
clean the vinyl airbag cover w/ rubbing alchohol. There's a mold release agent on the vinyl.

Double sided 3M trim tape (the thin stuff) is also your friend.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I removed mine on my 2010....

I removed the airbag peeled off the cover, and then there was the horn, on the backside of the emblem...

Here is my suggestion. Pull the battery, get a dremel tool and some pliers. Tape off the steering wheel, and peel that f*cker off with force...

Seriously... It will be easier, and quicker. I know a couple people will cringe of the thought alone. But if I have to do it again, thats how I will do it.

Taking off the entire airbag was more hassle than neccessary

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
If you break the emblem off by force, you are leaving a big hunk of steel inside the air bag, that God forbid if the bag ever deploys, could fly out and kill you..

DO IT THE RIGHT WAY.. Either take the bag apart and remove the clip, or leave alone..

Backside of 2011 air bag

New emblem

And if you want a step by step on how to remove the 2011 emblem I wrote this: http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f39/how-install-aftermarket-emblem-2011-steering-wheel-63575/

It would likely apply to 2010 and previous cars or at least give you a good idea.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I agree with Deception, that emblem on the 2010 is a ***** to get off,cant get to those bastard little speed clips...I tried and eventually did it the way he said...cut up that little goat bastard into a thousand pieces and picked it off with pliers rather than F...K up the air bag cover or damage the horn circuit....I'll try the alcohol cleaning method to get the new cheapo emblem to stick to vinyl....

·
Super Moderator
16,476 Posts
If you break the emblem off by force, you are leaving a big hunk of steel inside the air bag, that God forbid if the bag ever deploys, could fly out and kill you..

DO IT THE RIGHT WAY.. Either take the bag apart and remove the clip, or leave alone..

New emblem

And if you want a step by step on how to remove the 2011 emblem I wrote this: http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f39/how-install-aftermarket-emblem-2011-steering-wheel-63575/

It would likely apply to 2010 and previous cars or at least give you a good idea.
Brett,

That's a nice badge on your '11. I think the first one I've known of that's been changed out...not sure if I would have changed the new "Dodge" shield badge if mine came with it.

Those '11 steering badges are quite large compared to the earlier ones.

...I just despised the "goat head" so much, there wasn't any second thoughts about removing the ram's head...it had to go.

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
Hal,

I am actually the second person, first to have one from Nate.

·
Registered
304 Posts
The 3D Decal badges are just fine. Use a little sand paper on the cover to rough it up, clean it with some rubbing alcohol, and ensure it stays with the help of some welders glue :)

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
I used a small screwdriver to pry the emblem off my 2010,came off with little effort.I cleaned the surface off with rubbing alchohol and my new badge stuck just fine...As far a a little metal coming out during airbag deployment,that will be the least of my worries!

·
Registered
684 Posts
I used a small screwdriver to pry the emblem off my 2010,came off with little effort.I cleaned the surface off with rubbing alchohol and my new badge stuck just fine...As far a a little metal coming out during airbag deployment,that will be the least of my worries!
I don't think the problem is the metal coming out during bag deployment as much as it would be the metal CAUSING a bag deployment.

·
Registered
51 Posts
With all the airbag connectors sealed in the orange plastic safety clipped wires, how could the small piece of metal ever touch anything to short out and cause any deployment? Even the horn wire is a sealed unit with a clip that locks...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts