Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if it is possible to take out the silver steering wheel inserts. I don't want to damage the steering wheel or trigger the air bag. Can this be done, and if so are there any pictures or links showing how??
Please help, Thanks

·
Registered
820 Posts
It's easy disconnect the battery and loosen the two nuts in the back of the steering wheel that hold the air bag on and pop out the inserts. It takes maybe five minutes.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Disconnect the negative terminal at the actual battery in the trunk (not just the jump post under the hood). Then wait 15 minutes before removing the air bag. This is so you can be sure there is no residual charge left and the air bag will definitely not go off. 10 minutes is probably fine, technically 5 minutes may actually do it, but I prefer not to take chances.

The inserts with the audio controls can be tricky to remove. I use one of those interior trim removal tools, and start prying in the middle of the bottom side of the insert. There are tabs there holding them in; once they're loose, the top should pry out easily.

The blank inserts are easy peasy lemon squeezy. Just pry them right out.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
And there is no chance they will go off after you reconect them? Just checking, I don't want to screw that up...it's kind of important.
Thanks everyone!

·
Premium Member
1,690 Posts
I pulled mine off, painted them and put them back on.. No need to remove airbag, or disconnect battery or anything. I pried them off using the plastic interior trim removal tools. Mine are all the blank ones.. no wheel controls.

Just be prepared when they pop off, it's a loud snap, and you might think you broke it, but they are pretty sturdy.

Mike

·
Registered
820 Posts
You don't have to remove the airbag just give yourself some room to get the inserts out.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, good news and bad news. First, thank you to everyone for your help.
I managed to get all four off without having to remove the center. I don't have controls on the wheel so it was easy. The bad news is, there was some adhesive on the back side of the two lower inserts. When I went to put them back on, one fit right back up where it was. But the other one now won't sit flush. Did any of you have this issue? What did you do to fix it? Should I maybe try and glue it down?

·
Premium Member
1,690 Posts
I had adhesive on the bottom ones as well, but didn't have a problem getting them to sit flush. Pull the adhesive off the wheel.. might be holding it back some. Also you might have to "lift up" the edges of the rubber/leather on either edge to tuck it under. Use the plastic trim tool and just lift it up and push the piece underneath.

Mine went in pretty easy overall.

Mike

·
Registered
13 Posts
Radio Controls

Has anyone pulled the 2 with the radio controls as shown in the charger posting? Is it possible to take the next step and pull the silver cover off? I want to have mine done with hydrographics together with my console bezels and it can't be done with the radio controls still attached.

I assume no harm in riding around town for a couple weeks without any of these trim pieces, huh?

·
Registered
119 Posts
It's easy disconnect the battery and loosen the two nuts in the back of the steering wheel that hold the air bag on and pop out the inserts. It takes maybe five minutes.
Wish I'd a known it was that easy ... I popped mine out with a Screwdriver and was sweatin' bullets that I wouldn't screw something up the whole time.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts