Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen so many different methods and steps on how to wash/detail properly that I'm confused. So what is the proper way to wash/detail your car?

My challenger is jazz blue so its darker in colour and has some swirls that id like to fix. so can anyone help me there as well?

Steps i do every time i wash my car:
wash my car with megs gold class car wash
while its still wet i clay it with megs clay kit (clay and detail spray)
rims and tires
dry it with the absorber synthetic shamie
bring it in the garage and polish it by hand with megs ultimate polish, should i get a DA polisher?
then wax it with megs ultimate wax

Is there anything i should do differently or any products you'd recommend ?
I've been looking into the porter cable polisher and adams 2 step polishing system.

Thanks in advance
Trevor

·
Registered
675 Posts
First you should watch Junkmans videos he breaks it ALL down. but to keep is as SIMPLE as possible

2 Bucket Wash

DRY

Clay W/Detail Spray for lubrication

Rewash or wipe down to remove excess detail spray

When Polishing correct a 2x2 section first to figure out what it will take to get it perfect then apply that to rest of car.

When polishing is done and clear is swirl free, you must do a IPA wipe down or rewash with DAWN to remove

the polish from the car.

Once that is done is when you apply sealant/wax to protect your clear coat.

·
Premium Member
1,860 Posts
With a dark color like Jazz blue, I wouldn't think of washing it without two buckets with grit guards. I would also ditch the absorber for drying and replace with a good microfiber drying towel. Adams, Griots, Poorboys have good ones.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
yeah, junkman2000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
104 Posts
I agree

Wash the car first use the artificial shammy make it wet then squeeze out damp, and then make it flat and then drag it over the cars body when it dries out won't have any water marks on it. i use magilan gold in liquid form it never scratches the paint and has UV and conditioner in it. I detailed cars in air force and old hard stuff is obsolete. You can also use the highest turtle wax, but i still prefer the Magian Gold. Also sounds funny, but use newspaper to clean the windows they leave no marks. Doesn't seem like it do that, but for some reason it better then anything you can buy. Try it on your non challenger if you don't believe me. you still need windex before you use the newspaper.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I agree

Wash the car first use the artificial shammy make it wet then squeeze out damp, and then make it flat and then drag it over the cars body when it dries out won't have any water marks on it. i use magilan gold in liquid form it never scratches the paint and has UV and conditioner in it. I detailed cars in the Air Force and old hard stuff is obsolete. You can also use the highest turtle wax, but i still prefer the Magian Gold. Also sounds funny, but use newspaper to clean the windows they leave no marks. Doesn't seem like it do that at first i didnt believe it, but for some reason it better then anything you can buy. Try it on your non challenger if you don't believe me. You still need windex before you use the newspaper.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I've seen so many different methods and steps on how to wash/detail properly that I'm confused. So what is the proper way to wash/detail your car?

My challenger is jazz blue so its darker in colour and has some swirls that id like to fix. so can anyone help me there as well?

Steps i do every time i wash my car:
wash my car with megs gold class car wash
while its still wet i clay it with megs clay kit (clay and detail spray)
rims and tires
dry it with the absorber synthetic shamie
bring it in the garage and polish it by hand with megs ultimate polish, should i get a DA polisher?
then wax it with megs ultimate wax

Is there anything i should do differently or any products you'd recommend ?
I've been looking into the porter cable polisher and adams 2 step polishing system.

Thanks in advance
Trevor
I started off pretty good from new so I can't help with the swirls but I can help with preventing them. Like others have said, watch junkman and probably the most important thing is the 2 bucket method with grit guards. Also you shouldn't be coating your car every time you wash it unless you only wash it once or twice a year in which case all of this is pointless anyway. Here is my wash method

1) I take care if the wheels first with its own wash mit that NEVER touches the paint.
2) Hose down car really well to knock off any loose dirt
3) use a foam gun with Megs gold car wash soap in it and coat the whole car.
4)take was mitt A, soap it up in the soap bucket and take 2-3 swipes on the hood front to back, flip mitt and hit the same spot. I do NOT wash in a swirl. Simple single swipes full lengths of the panel.
5) rinse mitt in rinse bucket, ring out, soap it back up in the soap bucket and continue on hood. I repeat this until hood is done, then roof, then trunk. All with front to back swipes.
6) I then start on the sides each panel at a time but only doing the top 2/3. Front fender, door, rear fender. Switch to other side.
7) now I take a second mitt, do the front bumper, rear bumper, and repeat step 6 but doing the lower 1/3. This mitt never touches the up 2/3 (maybe a little) but it definitely never touches the top.
8) rinse off
9)I then dry with a California jelly blade to get the majority of the water off and use a microfiber waffle weave towel for the rest.

That's my wash method and seems to work well so far. I use Zaino after a wash. At least the z6 followed by z8. If I have the time though it's z6, z5, z6, z2, z6, z2, z8.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I have used every wax / polish out there. This is not my first rodeo. After you get it cleaned and finish with the clay bar. Use Driven Marine polish. Easy on and easy off. I use it on my boats and csrs. It protects like nothing I have ever found. Also use it on your wind shield better then rain x and it last for months , looks great.
Driven comes in an auto polish also, but the marine polish protects better....
Good luck :)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've had my Challenger over a year now and I wish I had discovered Junkman2000 on youtube back then. His videos are great and very informative.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts