Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The caliper on the left front of my car is sticking. I took the caliper off and the pistons pushed back in with a c clamp fine but when I push the brakes again it's like they won't release. Any ideas on what the problem is?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
29 Posts
I've seen this happen on motorcycles with a little age. Since caliper principles are the same, this may be the problem.

Corrosion builds in the piston seal groove, forcing the seal tighter and tighter in the caliper bore until the piston will not retract by itself.

I don't know if caliper rebuild kits are available for our cars. So, if it were me, I'd be looking for a new caliper.

Pretty sure I remember Vettes having this problem and went to stainless steel caliper pistons.

·
Premium Member
624 Posts
I've seen this happen on motorcycles with a little age. Since caliper principles are the same, this may be the problem.

Corrosion builds in the piston seal groove, forcing the seal tighter and tighter in the caliper bore until the piston will not retract by itself.

I don't know if caliper rebuild kits are available for our cars. So, if it were me, I'd be looking for a new caliper.

Pretty sure I remember Vettes having this problem and went to stainless steel caliper pistons.
What fredrich03 said is exactly right. Have the caliper rebuilt or by a new one. If its still under warranty have the dealer take care of the problem. Its a simple fix.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does anybody have the part number for the caliper on an 09 R/T? I want to do OEM but can't find it anywhere online.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What size wrench do I need for the bleeder screw?

·
Premium Member
2,994 Posts
Seems unlikely for such a new vehicle but I have also experienced the flexible brake lines at the caliper collapsing internally and causing the same symptoms as a sticking caliper.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Haven't taken my brakes apart on the R/T yet but in most other cases (GM's and Fords) I've seen, it's the GUIDE PINS between the 2 caliper halves that hangs up. Just did the brakes on my Ford truck and one of these pins seized in it's bore.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts