Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new 16 SRT definitely needs help in the rear traction department. I have the all season Pirellis 275 40ZR20. I was thinking about 4 of the Nitto NT05 drag radials. From the reviews I read, it sounds like they have decent wear and great traction compared to stock. I haven't heard how they corner though, and if they work well on the front of the car too? My plan is to use the stock rims, unless I find a deal on a used set of rims. Then I may get an extra set of wheels/tires.

Also, has anybody used like an autocross tire on their car? I found a slick somewhere that was super sticky and just had 2 lines in the tread.

·
Registered
599 Posts
My new 16 SRT definitely needs help in the rear traction department. I have the all season Pirellis 275 40ZR20. I was thinking about 4 of the Nitto NT05 drag radials. From the reviews I read, it sounds like they have decent wear and great traction compared to stock. I haven't heard how they corner though, and if they work well on the front of the car too? My plan is to use the stock rims, unless I find a deal on a used set of rims. Then I may get an extra set of wheels/tires.

Also, has anybody used like an autocross tire on their car? I found a slick somewhere that was super sticky and just had 2 lines in the tread.
Just make sure you know what you are ordering.

The Nitto NT05 is max performance summer tire and NT05R is a drag radial.

Usually people will put the NT05 max perf. tires up front and run the NT05R drag radials on the rear.

You will only get about 6K-8K miles out of the NT05R (with no burnouts) drag radials.

NT05 max performance summer tire: NT05 Max Performance Tire

NT05R drag radial: NT05R D.O.T.-Compliant Competition Drag Radial Tire

·
Registered
124 Posts
Drag radials were never meant for that application. You are taking risks . Stay with real street tires for street use and leave the drag radials for the strip.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Drag radials were never meant for that application. You are taking risks . Stay with real street tires for street use and leave the drag radials for the strip.

I would not drive drag radials on wet surfaces or in cold weather, but other than that there is nothing wrong with running them on the street in dry warm conditions.

So if your 16 SRT is a daily driver, I would Not run drag radials on it. If however, it is a fair weather ride, like my Hellcat, then drag radials on the rear cannot be beat.

From personal experience, I am on my 2nd set of Nitto 555R drag radials with 18K street miles on my Hellcat.
I also ran them on my 2012 Shelby GT500.

The 555R's have excellent dry traction and I can tell No other difference from the OEM Pirelli tires.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info! I live in Phoenix and it's dry and hot in the summer. Sounds like the NT05R will be a little risky on the street and wear fast. I'll probably go with the regular NT05 on all 4 wheels when the time comes.

Just make sure you know what you are ordering.

The Nitto NT05 is max performance summer tire and NT05R is a drag radial.

Usually people will put the NT05 max perf. tires up front and run the NT05R drag radials on the rear.

You will only get about 6K-8K miles out of the NT05R (with no burnouts) drag radials.

NT05 max performance summer tire: NT05 Max Performance Tire

NT05R drag radial: NT05R D.O.T.-Compliant Competition Drag Radial Tire

·
Registered
Hellcat
979 Posts
I am happy with my Mickey Thompson 305 Rs on 10" wheels. Think this is the one you were thinking with the little lines. Drag Radials aren't designed for cornering so I take it easy on the way home. Rain is definetly a no-go, not made to be used in the rain or even blowing sand. Any chance of rain and my 275 Pirelli's stay on for track night. They got me in the 12's at the track so they are worth it. I leave them on if it's dry and I'm going to a car meet because the huge tire on the rear looks cool

Attachments

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
Sounds like you already made up your mind, but I'll throw in my $.02, FWIW. I was about to buy Nitto 555r drag radials, in 305/35/20 for my '16 SRT 392, but then ended up trading the car in for my HC. I went ahead and bought those same tires for my HC, along with the 555 G2 tires for the front, and mounted them on the stock 9.5" wheels. I'm very happy with the upgrade.

Frank

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Haven't made up my mind until I buy them. Is there a R and non R version of the 555?

Sounds like you already made up your mind, but I'll throw in my $.02, FWIW. I was about to buy Nitto 555r drag radials, in 305/35/20 for my '16 SRT 392, but then ended up trading the car in for my HC. I went ahead and bought those same tires for my HC, along with the 555 G2 tires for the front, and mounted them on the stock 9.5" wheels. I'm very happy with the upgrade.

Frank

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
Haven't made up my mind until I buy them. Is there a R and non R version of the 555?
I believe there's a non R version of the 555s listed on the Nitto website, but good luck finding them anywhere. I get the impression that the 555 G2s may have replaced the regular 555s.

Frank

·
Registered
2013 SRT8
976 Posts
My two cents as well. I bought Luke's (@SteveWhiteMotors) old WRT wheels that he had on "Big Red". Anyhow, when I got them they had NT05s front and rear. They were down to the last 1-2k miles, but they were sticky as hell. No problems in the corners and no slipping in the rear during hard acceleration. Now a few months back it replaced them with the 555 G2s because I wanted a performance tire that had a better wear rating and would perform better when wet. Did this because I'm headed back to Germany for a few years and it rains quite a bit. However, the 555 G2s are now were near as sticky. They will break lose during hard acceleration. I didn't have a chance to really push them in any corners since I got them so I can't report on that yet. They are much better when wet though. There is always a trade off. Being located were you are I would go with the NT05s if you want sticky, but as mentioned before low tread life especially depending on how you drive. Either way good luck with your choice.

Signing off from somewhere in the Universe...

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
I ran drag radials for the past two summers, loved it, but I only have summer street tires this summer.

Just want to share my 2-cents, first summer I had 555r Nittos, second summer I went with Mickey Thompson ET Street S/S, and the Mickey Thompsons were WAY better, hooked harder in all situations, and they seemed to wear a little better and last longer too. I think they were $30 more per tire and worth it all day long. Good luck.

·
Registered
59 Posts
My car came with the Pirelli all seasons. First power shift and left the blackest marks I have ever seen on the on ramp. Dodge wants $600 to upgrade to the sticky summers tires which is a rip off. That and Auto trans is the only options my car was missing. I spent $900 and bought set installed at from discount tire and I still have the all-season for winter or I can sell for $600 easy. Sticky summer Pirelli's are way better. If cold they spin pretty easy. Once they are warm they have great bite. Much harder to spin the tires even when trying now. In Track mode they just bite now. I tried to slide her around a corner last night in track mode and she just bit and hooked up. Need to move to sport mode for any drifting now. They are plenty sticky for the street. Hook up seems excellent. How well they hold up to a track day is the real question. I think they will be just fine.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts