Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I've noticed something which I'm a bit confused by. So I have a 2012 SXT and have only driven it ~20 days so far. I've noticed that if I need to make a left turn (let's say at an intersection), and I pull up a bit too much, when I make a sharper left turn, the steering wheel sometimes becomes really stiff. It's hard to describe, kind of like someone else is pulling at the wheel, then letting go, then pulling all while I'm turning. It hasn't been a big problem, but it just feels "off". Traction control has always been on, it hasnt happened every single time, only maybe 2-3 times so far. I've noticed if i have my foot on the gas and let go of the gas while turning (maybe brake)? that might make it happen.

I'm used to driving a fwd 2001 cavalier, so this could just be something I'm not used to. my guesses are its something to do with the traction control. I'm assuming its the all speed traction control or the electronic stability control.
I haven't driven with traction control off yet. I want to get a feel of the car before I start seeing what I can do with it. (I've watched too many videos and seen too many pictures of challenger accidents. It hurts like a kick in the balls.)

Anybody have experience with this, or can confirm that it is or is not the traction control?
Thanks guys, appreciate it.

·
Super Moderator
16,853 Posts
the steering should feel consistent for turning in either direction.

Either you have a probably with the steering rack or the electric/hydraulic boost isn't function correctly.

Reactions: drluck

·
Registered
1 Posts
So, I've noticed something which I'm a bit confused by. So I have a 2012 SXT and have only driven it ~20 days so far. I've noticed that if I need to make a left turn (let's say at an intersection), and I pull up a bit too much, when I make a sharper left turn, the steering wheel sometimes becomes really stiff. It's hard to describe, kind of like someone else is pulling at the wheel, then letting go, then pulling all while I'm turning. It hasn't been a big problem, but it just feels "off". Traction control has always been on, it hasnt happened every single time, only maybe 2-3 times so far. I've noticed if i have my foot on the gas and let go of the gas while turning (maybe brake)? that might make it happen.

I'm used to driving a fwd 2001 cavalier, so this could just be something I'm not used to. my guesses are its something to do with the traction control. I'm assuming its the all speed traction control or the electronic stability control.
I haven't driven with traction control off yet. I want to get a feel of the car before I start seeing what I can do with it. (I've watched too many videos and seen too many pictures of challenger accidents. It hurts like a kick in the balls.)

Anybody have experience with this, or can confirm that it is or is not the traction control?
Thanks guys, appreciate it.
the steering should feel consistent for turning in either direction.

Either you have a probably with the steering rack or the electric/hydraulic boost isn't function correctly.
You ever figure out the problem I’m experiencing the same thing now

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have the same feeling, '19 SXT, when I turn the wheels all the way in one direction, they feel like, I dunno, like they were designed to lock in a steered position, like it's a drift car, haven't thought much about it though, I know it's RWD so no couplings up front to worry about, I bet if I get bigger tires the pull will be even worse

I hope I'm talking about the same thing you're talking about

1 - 4 of 4 Posts