Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Still Confused About How to Properly Jack Up Challenger

2823 24
I have this ZL1 add on installed in the front so that it can be used like in the picture without damaging the pinch weld part as shown in the the official manual.

Wheel Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire

Water Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design

For the rear it seems the jacking location is also the same spot.

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread

I currently don't have a ZL1 thing installed there. I did remove the plastic puck that many say they use and believe is the right jacking location. I replaced mine with Lift Pad Pros that I thought could be used. Lift Pad Pros and ZL1 add on seems to think that puck is made to be lifted. I also added Lift Pad Pros in the front as well. However the manual doesn't seem to say anything about that.

My understanding is that the proper jacking point should be in the location pictured so i'll need to buy another ZL1 add on product to protect the pinch weld when jacking up the car?

My mechanic wants me to confirm for future reference where to jack up the car.

This looks like it's all on the pinch weld part?

Motor vehicle Electrical wiring Engineering Gas Automotive exterior

Is this right also? Seems like it's where the red circle is but not touching the pinch weld part
Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Vehicle Car
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Plum 2019 SXT AWD
838 Posts
Pinch welds are more of a bad day jacking point, for one at a time. The unibody puck points are more ideal for lifting the entire vehicle as they are more structurally sound. As for the last picture, I do not know what it is showing there, but I would never do that.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pinch welds are more of a bad day jacking point, for one at a time. The unibody puck points are more ideal for lifting the entire vehicle as they are more structurally sound. As for the last picture, I do not know what it is showing there, but I would never do that.
I think I remember my mechanic thinking the puck area seems less structurally stable or something as opposed to the pinch weld part, not sure if it’s plastic or something. Is there any officially dodge documents that supports using that puck. Is that what it’s put there for or was there some other use or it’s a vesicular by product of something else. Why then is the front pinch weld part used and there’s no puck up front? Clearance reasons?

·
Registered
2016 Scat Pack Shaker
1,411 Posts
There are 8 points for lifting and supporting, 4 pinch weld points, 2 forward unibody rail points, and 2 pucks near rear pinch weld points. I have lifted and supported from all points using floor jacks and 2 post lifts. IMO they are all more than adequate, use the points that work best with the lifting and supporting equiment you have. If lifting or supporting at pinch weld points, pinch weld adapters make jacking easier as well as reducing the liklihood of damage.

·
Registered
914 Posts

·
Registered
Plum 2019 SXT AWD
838 Posts
I think I remember my mechanic thinking the puck area seems less structurally stable or something as opposed to the pinch weld part, not sure if it’s plastic or something. Is there any officially dodge documents that supports using that puck. Is that what it’s put there for or was there some other use or it’s a vesicular by product of something else. Why then is the front pinch weld part used and there’s no puck up front? Clearance reasons?
Why Dodge does what Dodge does is a mystery. As for the less structurally stable, I am inclined to believe that is BS. The pinch weld is just where the bottom of the car meets the sides. The puck point are actually the closest thing this car had to a frame. I had my rear puck points strip out and trying to find a fix, that portion of that car is pretty much a square tube. If you go the the manuals the bottom is listed as very high strength steel and the side as low strength, not that means much for the welds.

I did find this in the manuals...
Car Motor vehicle Wheel Hood Automotive design

and the statement ... "A floor jack or any lifting device must never be used on any part of the underbody other than the described areas. " 1 being the jack points and 2 being the wheels for a drive on lift.

Notice what is not on that diagram. The pinch welds. It refers you back to the owners manual for "emergency jacking procedures", which would be the pinch welds.

I would not use the pinch welds other than a single tire change, but I am willing to bet plenty of people do and they are still alive and the car still drives.

·
Premium Member
2019 Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack Plus
59 Posts
My car is up on my QuickJack on the pinch welds right now and has been at least 200 times. It’s fine. Get jack pucks.
I followed this advice (from earlier threads) and got a pair of these.
Footwear Shoe Cap Hat Helmet

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Okay so the pictures on the manual are for emergencies when I take it to the mechanic jack up the rear with the pucks and for the front you buy the lift pad pros and screw it near the triangle on the frame that has the threaded holes?

I replaced the rear pucks with the lift pad pros so I have 4 total installed. With them installed are they even in height meaning when lifted the car will be 180 degrees and not leaning to the front or rear?

the front one will be installed here

·
Registered
154 Posts
Once my free oil changes are uo I will be doing my own.
What is every one doing for jack stand placement if it's not the pinch weld spots?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts