Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
23,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just looking into what engines the possibly striking Trenton Engine plant manufactures, and in looking around, I see the upgraded version of the 3.6L V6 released in 2016, is used in 2016-present Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2016-present Dodge Durango, 2016-present Chrysler Pacifica, 2020-present Chrysler Voyager, 2018-present Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL, and 2020-present Jeep Gladiator (JT)...but no Challenger or Charger?

These are rated at 295 hp and 260 lb⋅ft, but I think that's an issue of intake/exhaust layout. So, curious that the Challenger and Charger have never gotten the upgrade?

The new version has two-step variable valve lift (VVL) system to complement its upgraded variable valve timing (VVT) setup, both of which are designed to help reduce parasitic pumping losses. The remake also brought a new cooled exhaust-gas-recirculation system, higher 11.3:1 compression ratio, more efficient 8-orifice fuel injectors and redesigned cylinder heads with high-tumble intake ports and shrouded combustion chambers. Engineers also managed to reduce internal friction levels and trim four pounds out of the engine's weight. Like all other 2016 FCA gasoline engines intended for use here in the U.S., the new 3.6-liter Pentastar also is designed to be E15 compatible.
Depending on the application, the redesigned V-6 delivers fuel-economy improvements of more than 6% while increasing torque more than 14.9%. This occurs at engine speeds below 3,000 rpm, where elevated torque has its most profound impact on the driving experience.
I do think the current versions have the gasp Engine Stop Start (ESS)

Just curious if there are any drawbacks that affect performance, so the Challenger is actually spared?

A Guy

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
They seem to be rolling out the Pentastar upgrade with new models, or with a redesign or refresh. The Ram got it with the new 2019 DT bodystyle, while the classic (DS) stayed with the classic Pentastar. The Pacifica got the upgrade engine, but the Caravan still uses the classic. The Wrangler got it with the new JL bodystyle, and the Grand Cherokee/Durango platform got a minor refresh in 2016 (New shifter, exterior trim, headlights etc) to go with the new engine. Promaster vans and Journeys still use the old Pentastar, as they are otherwise unchanged.

It seems that they do it along side other model changes. So I'd say wait until/if they ever redesign the Challenger. It probably requires some calibration changes for the EGR valve and variable valve lift, and transmission changes for the stop/start, etc.

Reactions: A Guy

·
Registered
328 Posts
I was just looking into what engines the possibly striking Trenton Engine plant manufactures, and in looking around, I see the upgraded version of the 3.6L V6 released in 2016, is used in 2016-present Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2016-present Dodge Durango, 2016-present Chrysler Pacifica, 2020-present Chrysler Voyager, 2018-present Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL, and 2020-present Jeep Gladiator (JT)...but no Challenger or Charger?

These are rated at 295 hp and 260 lb⋅ft, but I think that's an issue of intake/exhaust layout. So, curious that the Challenger and Charger have never gotten the upgrade?

I do think the current versions have the gasp Engine Stop Start (ESS)

Just curious if there are any drawbacks that affect performance, so the Challenger is actually spared?

A Guy
Well, that engine wouldn't be an upgrade. The one in my 2017 is rated at 305HP.

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
Well, that engine wouldn't be an upgrade. The one in my 2017 is rated at 305HP.
That's due to the application. The 295hp is for a Durango or Grand Cherokee. The Challenger got the most powerful version of the "classic" 3.6L. So if they were to put the upgrade in the Challenger, you can bet they would tune it to make 305 or more hp.

It's an upgrade in the sense that they've added variable valve lift, liquid cooled EGR, low-friction timing set components and so on. Mostly efficiency and lower emissions.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
23,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If used in the Challenger, it would be 305HP. Might have to deal with ESS though

A Guy

1 - 5 of 5 Posts