Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2011 Challenger SE is STILL overheating. I?ve had the thermostat housing replaced and the actual thermostat replaced as well. Twice. Three new radiator caps and everything. It?s still overheating after being driven for about 10 minutes at a time. This is annoying because I have an 8 month old baby and pulling over every 10 minutes (I live 45 minutes from town) is awful. :( I don?t know what it could be.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I don't know much about the cooling system on those. Is it a mechanical or electric fan? Does it overheat at highway speeds or just idle and stop and go traffic?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It doesn?t matter what kind of driving, highway or stop and go. It overheats no matter what. The fan kicks on normally and works. I?m at a loss as to what it could be.

·
Registered
800 Posts
What did your mechanic check?

Is it leaking fluid?

Is the right amount of coolant in the system?

Was the system bled after thermostat install?

Sounds like the water pump may be shot. Miles on the car?

Also not super familiar with the SEs but I will try.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
It doesn?t matter what kind of driving, highway or stop and go. It overheats no matter what. The fan kicks on normally and works. I?m at a loss as to what it could be.
I would have your coolant checked for combustion gasses. It could be a cracked head or blown head gasket.

When it overheats, are you actually low on coolant?

·
Registered
303 Posts
Sounds like some more diagnostic work is needed here by a competent service tech. Although I am not a qualified Tech but I will toss this out there as a possibility. Could it be a faulty temp sensor?

Either way you should really get this properly diagnosed ASAP.

Best of luck..

·
Registered
13 Posts
Had a Dodge Intrepid years ago, dealer tried water pump, thermostat to no avail. Finally found it myself, by chance noticed the plastic coolant overflow bottle was pressurized. Saw the smallest bubbles around the molded neck into the neck, not peeing or anything just very tiny stead small bubbles. Car could not properly pressurize the cooling system. Replaced the overflow tank for $90 myself and problem was finally fixed correctly.

Somewhere your cooling system is not be allowed to property pressurize /hold correct pressure. Hopefully its something external such as in my case. This will greatly affect your cooling.

Regards.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Sounds like the water pump needs replaced.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Sounds like the mechanic needs replaced.

Reactions: 171sf

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,761 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, it sucks that there?s a sequel! The first post was wild. It was working fine for a month after I replaced the radiator cap the first time. It just randomly started overheating again, I bought another cap, fixed it for half a day. Bought another one, fixed it for the other half of the day. Sometimes the coolant rises up to the very top, almost up to the cap. Other times when it overheats, the coolant is still at the fill line. Other times, it?ll randomly have no coolant in it like there?s a leak somewhere?! But then I?ll refill it, and none of it leaks out?? This is the most confusing car experience I?ve had. Haha

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have two 2012 Challengers and a 2017. My daughter's 2012 3.6 did the same this past summer at 99k miles. I have the Lifetime warranty so it was towed to Dodge 4 times until fixed correctly. First they said heater core leaking, replaced. Second time they said radiator, replaced. Third, not bled correctly from the second time. Finally, it ended up being warped heads (which I suspected the third time). Dodge replaced the engine, thermostat and water pump. Thermostat was trashed when removed. You need to know that the earlier 3.6's had problems with a faulty cylinder, which can cause this problem. I wanna say #6 but don't quote me. This was acknowledged by the rep I dealt with at Dodge. Dodge fixed the cylinder problem in 2015. If your coolant is bubbling in the resevoir tank when the car is overheating, get ready to spend some money if you don't have a warranty.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Alright y?all. Final diagnosis on my evil Challenger. I got it towed to a Dodge dealership on Friday. Got the call this morning, it?s a blown head gasket and they quoted me $3,000 to fix. I definitely don?t have this kind of money right now, I owe 11,900 on the loan, and I am totally stuck with a car payment on a car that I can?t currently afford to fix, which means I can?t get to my job without a car. Oh, life.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Sorry to hear that. Dealers are not stealers but are not the least expensive repair places either. Headgaskets are a big deal to repair. Is there a less expensive place you can take it to? Especially living that far out ov town with a baby. I know there are places that can do the job for less than dealers charge.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts