Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just did oil change - used Royal Purple 5W30 on my 2009 Challenger RT - Disabled MDS and have 6.1 lifters.

I keep hearing ticking, idk what it is! At idle and driving. What should I do? SeaFoam? Mystery Oil? Anything? Thanks!

·
Registered
2015 Challenger SRT
251 Posts
I have the tick as well. Chrysler has officially called it "normal" and some refer to it as the "Hemi Tick". I added Lucas Pure Synthetic Oil Stabilizer to my car at an oil change and found that it quieted almost completely. I have done so every other oil change since and the tick is no longer noticeable.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
477 Posts
I've heard them tick on the dealership lot. I had an 07 Ram that had the hemi tick that I put 100,000 trouble free miles on. My Challenger has almost no tick. No idea what causes it and sounds like Dodge doesn't either but I've never heard of it leading to any type of engine problem on a Ram or a Challenger.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I recently got some Marvel's mystery oil and put some in oil as well as fuel and it quieted it down some.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Exhaust manifold leak?

·
Registered
130 Posts
My 2010 5.7 ticks a little bit too. Glad to hear that mine is not the only one.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
I think this is a case of the infamous "hemi tick". I believe some have solved it by changing the oil type though.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
My 06 5.7 has done it since day one,My 392 does as well.I think it's pleasant,like a solid lift cam.Or like the old muscle with headers had a tick.I always liked the sound.The engines happy, like a cat purring.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Mine has the tick too. I can hear it with the radio off and at hiway speeds the ticking gets faster as I down shift the autostick. when I shift back into 5th OR D it quiets down some but I have to listen for it. I thought it was caused by the wind since the first time I heard it I was driving into the wind. I asked the dealer if it was ok to add anything to the oil such as Z MAX and he said NO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! not with the MDS, he said never add anything but the correct weight of oil and nothing else. he was pretty firm on that. I used Z MAX in my 03 GMC truck and it sure helps clean & maintain engine & was hoping to use it n my 13 R/T.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
I have a '13 Challenger and my wife has a '13 Charger. I changed to Mobil 1 in both, they both still tick, I just except it as part of the Hemi design. The way I look at it is the same as the Timing Chain paranoia, I just drive the wheels off of them both, they have warranties for crap like that.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Mine ticks as well. I think I can hear it more in colder weather.
I have driven a 6.1 Challenger, a 392 300C SRT8 and a 5.7 300C and I heard the tick on all of them.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
mine was very quiet when I first got it but after a month or so it occasionally will tap like it has a
stuck lifter when I first start it and then pretty much quiets down within a minute. I noticed if
I start it and it's tapping loudly I can shut it off and immediately restart it and the loud tick is gone.
since it's gotten cooler though, no matter what idling or going down the road I can hear something
that sounds sort of like a sewing machine under the hood, a slight rhythmic ticking coming from the
right side of the engine compartment that varies with speed. hoping the SRT filter and Mobile 1 will stop
that after the first oil change.

·
Registered
456 Posts
My 05 Ram 5.7 has had the tick since day one, yet I have not a had a single problem with it since I bought it brand new. My challenger has a much lighter tick than my truck but it is there. having had it on my truck for so long I didn't think twice about it on my car, just figured its normal.

·
Registered
168 Posts
The first 3100 miles I had no ticking sound. After oil change it showed up. Mostly at 1800-2200 rpm's. I found the noise annoying. Just had lifters replaced on both sides and the ticking has been reduced by 80-90%.

·
Registered
340 Posts
The first 3100 miles I had no ticking sound. After oil change it showed up. Mostly at 1800-2200 rpm's. I found the noise annoying. Just had lifters replaced on both sides and the ticking has been reduced by 80-90%.
Very interesting! Were the lifters replaced under warranty?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Very interesting! Were the lifters replaced under warranty?
Yes!! The first dealer I went to, couldn't hear the ticking. Second dealer the tech said the lifters were unusually loud but recommended trying a different brand of oil first. Tried but didn't help. If it is annoying to you don't accept the old stand by "that's normal". It's not or they all would have it and they don't.

·
Registered
633 Posts
There is actually a internal dealership service bulletin that they will under warranty offer to replace the lifters in the cars for the ticking sound......some info in it to look for collapsed "lifter" assembly if I recall....my dealership has done them on the cars and it worked...for all engines including the 3.6L.

My dealer said it takes about and 1 1/2 hours give or take to do them.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts