Dodge Challenger Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Going to throw my 2 cents in. I currently daily drive a Procharged 392 with stock bottom end. I also have untuned water/meth injection for safety reasons. I am pushing 568RWHP on a mild tune (91oct) and have had no issues with it. I have probably done about 200 passes on the 1/8 mile track and I am a very spirited driver on a normal basis. I personally think that going with forced induction is the way to go. Once you start modding for big power it's not going to be enough. I'm already looking at forging and a pully swap myself. You will get the best bang for your buck with forced induction. After doing a lot of research on which supercharger to go with I choose the Procharger due to it being a daily driver and that pretty much I'm running N/A on a normal basis. Also I like it being a bit of a sleeper (Though the race intercooler gives it away) as the Procharger is a pretty quiet set up. During a road rally that I was in earlier this year a guy running a modded GTR stated, "What the hell do you have in that thing! You just come out of nowhere and just blow on by." He couldn't believe how quiet the car was compared to the other Challengers in the Rally. Though I do have a res delete on it. So she's not really that quiet. Besides if you decide to get rid of the car just pull all the parts and shift back to stock.
Thanks for your service!

What year? How many psi? D1SC?

·
Registered
272 Posts
Going to throw my 2 cents in. I currently daily drive a Procharged 392 with stock bottom end. I also have untuned water/meth injection for safety reasons. I am pushing 568RWHP on a mild tune (91oct) and have had no issues with it. I have probably done about 200 passes on the 1/8 mile track and I am a very spirited driver on a normal basis. I personally think that going with forced induction is the way to go. Once you start modding for big power it's not going to be enough. I'm already looking at forging and a pully swap myself. You will get the best bang for your buck with forced induction. After doing a lot of research on which supercharger to go with I choose the Procharger due to it being a daily driver and that pretty much I'm running N/A on a normal basis. Also I like it being a bit of a sleeper (Though the race intercooler gives it away) as the Procharger is a pretty quiet set up. During a road rally that I was in earlier this year a guy running a modded GTR stated, "What the hell do you have in that thing! You just come out of nowhere and just blow on by." He couldn't believe how quiet the car was compared to the other Challengers in the Rally. Though I do have a res delete on it. So she's not really that quiet. Besides if you decide to get rid of the car just pull all the parts and shift back to stock.
Same here D1 @7.5 psi stock bottom end 600 rwhp. I have been boosted for 15,000 miles and I do a ton of roll racing. The only problem I have had is the Procharger coolant reservoir leaking. I got rid of it and had one custom made. The thing I like most about the Procharger is the intake air temps. On 95 degree days my IAT's are under 100 degrees at WOT, and there is no heat soak. When my IAT's are under 85 degrees the car is a different animal as it seems like it picks up around 40 hp.

·
Registered
20 Posts
While my car was being forged and procharged, I saw three other 392s come through, all with P1's and the procharger tune. One lasted 2000km before the pistons went, the others had lasted a couple years.

As it was explained to me, the small ring gap on the intake side closes from the excess heat and crosses over itself, which pops off a chunk of piston. If the chunk makes it out the exhaust before it wrecks havoc on the engine, you're good to go. If not, ride's over. I imagine water/meth works well to prevent this

·
Registered
375 Posts
You're good to go is probably a bad choice of words when talking about a piston doing the Mexican hat dance and making it out the exhaust ... Yeah it's the best case scenario but you're engine is still fubar and the only fix is more time and $$$$$$

·
Registered
133 Posts
Thanks for your service!

What year? How many psi? D1SC?
Thanks, Its a 2012 P1 and I'm running 7lbs of boost.

Same here D1 @7.5 psi stock bottom end 600 rwhp. I have been boosted for 15,000 miles and I do a ton of roll racing. The only problem I have had is the Procharger coolant reservoir leaking. I got rid of it and had one custom made. The thing I like most about the Procharger is the intake air temps. On 95 degree days my IAT's are under 100 degrees at WOT, and there is no heat soak. When my IAT's are under 85 degrees the car is a different animal as it seems like it picks up around 40 hp.
Yeah the heat soak is none existant with the Procharger. When I'm at the track I dont have to bring a bag of ice unlike my twin screw buddies.

While my car was being forged and procharged, I saw three other 392s come through, all with P1's and the procharger tune. One lasted 2000km before the pistons went, the others had lasted a couple years.

As it was explained to me, the small ring gap on the intake side closes from the excess heat and crosses over itself, which pops off a chunk of piston. If the chunk makes it out the exhaust before it wrecks havoc on the engine, you're good to go. If not, ride's over. I imagine water/meth works well to prevent this
The exact reason I intsalled the Water/Meth and didnt tune for it. I just use it as a safety messure for the motor until I can get it forged. Once that happens I'll be tuning for the Water/Meth and swap the pully. I should be pushing 600rwhp.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I keep hearing mix reviews on what the 2015 6.4 392 can handle boost wise. If you buy a Pro Charger that runs at 7lbs of boost with a good tune, are you safe? Some people on here are saying no way and other people I talk to say you are totally fine.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I keep hearing mix reviews on what the 2015 6.4 392 can handle boost wise. If you buy a Pro Charger that runs at 7lbs of boost with a good tune, are you safe? Some people on here are saying no way and other people I talk to say you are totally fine.
While it seems that the motors are the same, you have to figure not many have boosted a 15 yet...are you safe...lots of variables. I really wish these things were flex fuel...

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm split between a procharger or a cam/headers build once tuning becomes avail for the 15s. The procharger build would only cost about 750 bucks or so more than the cam/headers build the way my excel spreadsheet is setup and the cost for parts and estimated labor, etc. Get more bang for the buck with a blower but it wouldn't have the lope or sound like a nasty N/A motor would have but have the procharger sound in place of it. Anyone out there running only 5 psi on a procharger?

It wouldn't be in my budget to get the drop in pistons (800) not counting the labor to install them. Some are running 6-7 psi on the stock pistions and have been running fine. I feel 5 psi is even a little bit safer.

Driving habits: car would only see 6k miles per year. 20-40 passes a year at the strip roughly. Spirited driving out on the street occasionally.
I am running 7lbs on my 392 stock internals and have been for the past 2 years and I drive it almost daily. It was last dyno’d at 640 WHP. So far so good as long as you stay within the “safety” boost levels and you got yourself a good tuner you’ll be fine. I’m loving the car so far.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am running 7lbs on my 392 stock internals and have been for the past 2 years and I drive it almost daily. It was last dyno’d at 640 WHP. So far so good as long as you stay within the “safety” boost levels and you got yourself a good tuner you’ll be fine. I’m loving the car so far.
hey I’m thinking about procharging my charger scatpack.. what brand did you go with and what was the cost out of the door?

·
Registered
2 Posts
hey I’m thinking about procharging my charger scatpack.. what brand did you go with and what was the cost out of the door?
The cost of the procharger out the door with the D-1X head unit, the big race intercooler upgrade, the race (Red) BOV, and without the helical gears costed about 6500$ for the whole kit. I purchased it through tick performance.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts