Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently installed Potenza RE71Rs on my 2016 Scat Pack 6M, and I got to try them out at the WCMA Regional AutoX event in Lumsden, SK this weekend. I placed 3rd overall, being bested only by a Golf R and a modified Impreza, both with very skilled drivers. With these results, I'm very happy with how my car performed now that it has some traction.

That brings me to my point: Would I really see much benefit from adjustable coilovers? I have been considering them for some time, but after this experience I feel as though the factory suspension in the Scat Pack works better than it gets credit for. Sure there is body roll, but it's controlled. The car is sure-footed and composed, no significant understeer or oversteer. I actually have no complaints with how the car handles.

I've decided to hold off on coilovers for now. I may add strut tower braces to help with body flex, but for the most part, the driver is the only thing that needs work. More seat time is the plan.

·
Registered
9,456 Posts
I understand you're content now but believe me when I say there's SO much room for improvement in the handling department. With that being said I do agree with you in a sense that the number one mod is the driver. Once you get to the point where the car no longer can give you what you want it do then it's time for more serious mods. Just my two cents

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh for sure. I have no doubt there is a whole other level of adjustability and capability to be had with coilovers. But let's just say I'm much less inclined to make the upgrade with my '16 Scat than I was with my 2010 R/T. That car handled much more like a beached whale than my '16 does. I think you pretty well summed it up, I need to upgrade as a driver before I can take full advantage of upgrading the car.

That said, I am a little curious. I have spent time as passenger in my friend's Magnum R/T on coilovers, and was fairly impressed. But I've never been behind the wheel myself.

·
Registered
9,456 Posts
When I installed the ridetech coilovers on my car it was like it was on rails. Then when I put on the 18" wheels wrapped with NT01s it was like driving a go kart. I'm serious. It was unbelievable. But once you decide to go with coilovers then you'll have to get adjustable arms, alignment, bushings and etc. It never ends:)
I used to go to track with @Yahooligan when he owned his 2011 RT. He had the BC coilovers and my car was pretty much stock at the time. We both had the same 20" NT05s. Our lap times were identical at 2 separate tracks even though I had about a 100 hps more than him. He beat me in the turns and I'd caught him on the straight ways. He also improved his lap times by 10 full seconds at the Big Willow after he went with coilovers. That's huge. I improved my lap time at the Streets of Willow by almost 3 seconds after I changed my sway bars, installed front and rear braces and subframe connectors. That track is extremely curvy by the way. The pre 15 SRTs have much smaller sway bars than the scat packs. One of the biggest handling improvements on the 15+ MYs is bigger sway bars and higher rate springs.
My suggestion would be to install a set of H&R springs, front and rear braces, and subframe connectors for now. You'll see a huge difference in handling. Plus it'll help to get the most traction out of those RE71Rs. Great choice by the with those tires.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,912 Posts

You can take the boy out of the city...

A Guy ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts