Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '19 manual 392 challenger and I'm wanting to get to around 500hp to the wheels before a race event next June. Only mod I have added so far is a oil catch can. I have some ideas, a cam, maybe long tubes, CAI, ported intake, bigger throttle body. I'm somewhat mechanically inclined but not sure I could install a cam. I am wondering if any one has any recommendations as far as parts, dos and donts, and a general estimate of what it would cost me to get there. Thanks ahead!

·
Registered
583 Posts
I’d say hit it with a 100hp wet shot and call it a day. Obviously tuning required as well. Cams are generally pricey $/Hp for these cars. Headers installed yourself and using knock offs is a good bet ,also tuning required. Ported intake unless you do it yourself is a waste of money. Tb is another waste unless you plan on a full build. I guess in the end , it depends on your goals. Nitrous is a great dollars per Hp mod that only beats on your ride when you want it too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How do these cars handle nitrous in stock form? Also, how does that work with a manual? I'm new to this game.

·
Registered
168 Posts
How do these cars handle nitrous in stock form? Also, how does that work with a manual? I'm new to this game.
Pop pop pop pop.... I'd skip the Nitrous and F/I with the glass like piston ringlands and non-existant ring gap.

I've seen some YouTube videos -

E85, intake, L/T, HC Injectors and tune : 480whp.
You don't need the throttle body.

Get a throttle adjuster to make your car snappier.

You drag racing? If that's the case, skip all power mods and buy some skinnies and Mickys. Then practice, practice, practice. You'll be shocked how hard it is for a noob to come close to a magazine time, let alone consistently.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Pop pop pop pop.... I'd skip the Nitrous and F/I with the glass like piston ringlands and non-existant ring gap.

I've seen some YouTube videos -

E85, intake, L/T, HC Injectors and tune : 480whp.
You don't need the throttle body.

Get a throttle adjuster to make your car snappier.

You drag racing? If that's the case, skip all power mods and buy some skinnies and Mickys. Then practice, practice, practice. You'll be shocked how hard it is for a noob to come close to a magazine time, let alone consistently.
If we’re going to base this on you tube videos, (which we shouldn’t)check out “40 or a dig” he’s been running a 100 shot for the last three years on an otherwise bone stock bottom 392 with zero issues. Fi can be done with water/meth and low psi and be safe as well, but proper precautions need to be taken, still wouldn’t recommend it. Drop ins or a short block is the route I’d go there, depends on goals. I’d just throw the nos at it and get a reputable Hemi tuner.
E85 at the pump is not reliable or consistent. Maybe if your buying e98 by the barrel to offset the ethanol content, but otherwise I’d stay away. It’s not friendly in the colder weather either. Skinnies and some 17” rears with some etr ‘s is a great mod as well.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Yeah my question is are you trying to hit a 1/4 time or whp? Like someone mentioned up above, the right wheel and tire setup along with some drag racing springs can get you off to a bitchin start

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Depends on which dyno you pull it on too. DynoJet is an ego booster dyno and may see 500, depending, but doubt you'll get to 500 RWHP on a Mustang dyno without spending some serious coin.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Cam, long tubes, and ported heads will get you close to 500 RWHP. Ported intake, ported throttle body, and a 3" exhaust system should put you over. Lots of cammed 392s making 500 RWHP out there.

·
Registered
448 Posts
There are quite a few posts and articles regarding this subject. Short term, sure you may have no issues. However, long term it is likely that you will. The non-forged internals aren't designed for boost in the 392, which is why they use forged in the Hellcat.

A quote from failure post:

"The broken ring land is classic 392 failure from excessive heat and pressure, or detonation. The rings are very close to the top of the piston, as you can see, and excess heat (like from a very lean tune or boost) can make them expand and the ends butt together, which forces them outward, breaking the ring land of the piston."

I think you're playing with fire on this. Will NOS cause your block to implode immediately? Likely not. However, long term or even medium term effects would likely be seen to some degree, possibly including shattering a piston. The extra pressure that you're inducing on the combustion chambers pushes the 392 6.4L pretty close to design design limits (I say that twice because from what I can tell, you're beyond the margin that SRT Engineers put in place when you use synthetic aspiration like this). Read up on the piston ring gap in the 392 6.4L. It's very very small. This is another reason that they used the 6.1L engine for the Hellcat and not the 6.4L.

I have not run NOS, and so I don't have experience with it - but I am speaking from perspective of Engineering of the engine, being an Engineer myself.

·
Registered
583 Posts
There are quite a few posts and articles regarding this subject. Short term, sure you may have no issues. However, long term it is likely that you will. The non-forged internals aren't designed for boost in the 392, which is why they use forged in the Hellcat.

A quote from failure post:

"The broken ring land is classic 392 failure from excessive heat and pressure, or detonation. The rings are very close to the top of the piston, as you can see, and excess heat (like from a very lean tune or boost) can make them expand and the ends butt together, which forces them outward, breaking the ring land of the piston."

I think you're playing with fire on this. Will NOS cause your block to implode immediately? Likely not. However, long term or even medium term effects would likely be seen to some degree, possibly including shattering a piston. The extra pressure that you're inducing on the combustion chambers pushes the 392 6.4L pretty close to design design limits (I say that twice because from what I can tell, you're beyond the margin that SRT Engineers put in place when you use synthetic aspiration like this). Read up on the piston ring gap in the 392 6.4L. It's very very small. This is another reason that they used the 6.1L engine for the Hellcat and not the 6.4L.

I have not run NOS, and so I don't have experience with it - but I am speaking from perspective of Engineering of the engine, being an Engineer myself.
Hellcat actually uses a 6.4 bge truck block , not a 6.1. It has powder forged rods and forged aluminum pistons, they all have a forged crank. The reason there is less stress is it’s 9.5:1 compression and a 3.58 stroke. No doubt the ring lands are not robust on the 6.4 , and if high boost or nos is the plan , then absolutely doing drop ins or a nice shortblock is the path to choose. But boost can be added in moderation with proper tuning and water/meth. As well as nitrous. The key is definitely proper tuning. The very same goes for a heads cam car , it will still rely on proper tuning for any sort of longevity.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Well, Prodogy is getting 506RWHP from a V6, so it shouldn't be that hard.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
23,749 Posts
Nice burnout but almost as quiet as an electric car! My car is louder than that! Is it just be but I can't stand the blow off valve sound

A Guy

·
Registered
328 Posts
Nice burnout but almost as quiet as an electric car! My car is louder than that! Is it just be but I can't stand the blow off valve sound

A Guy
If all you want is noise, that's easy.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
23,749 Posts
Not just noise, good noise ;)

A Guy

1 - 15 of 15 Posts