Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2010 R/T
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, recently I was considering buying a hood to replace my original one. I have the exterior appearance group, which comes with the T/A hood. I did some reading and found that the OE hood is actually quite light. I thought that it would be impossible for a fiberglass or carbon fiber hood to be heavier, but I heard some say that they were in fact heavier. So is buying an aftermarket hood going to be solely aesthetic, or is there a hood out there that is lighter? I would love to buy a carbon fiber hood, but would like to avoid adding weight if possible.

·
Registered
849 Posts
My fiberglass hood on my 13’ Challenger is about 3 pounds lighter than my stock one. Nothing to write home about but everything helps. Stock hoods are aluminum so they are pretty light as is.
FAA86B8C-63F0-4058-95CE-A787A310C1FE.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Ronan978

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
3,420 Posts

·
Registered
2010 R/T
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My fiberglass hood on my 13’ Challenger is about 3 pounds lighter than my stock one. Nothing to write home about but everything helps. Stock hoods are aluminum so they are pretty light as is. View attachment 978917

What was the final weight of the fiberglass hood?

·
Registered
849 Posts
Reactions: SmallTownDriver15

·
Registered
2010 R/T
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I guess I am still a little confused. Just watched a video where a guy weighed a stock SRT hood at 25 pounds even, and speedlogix claims that the stock hood weighs 30 pounds. Lightest carbon fiber hood I can find is about 10 pounds on speedlogix, but it goes for 2,700 :LOL:

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
I have a buddy that has a fiberglass hood on his Charger. It feels significantly lighter than my stock hood on my Challenger. So the 14 vs 25 pounds seems about right.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
23,558 Posts
Stock hood is VERY light. This is a Hellcat mind you, 3 big holes in it ;)

Speedlogix has said a stock Hellcat hood weighs 23.3 pounds

A Guy

Reactions: SmallTownDriver15
1 - 8 of 8 Posts