Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If this is their actual weight, it becomes a drivers race against a stock R/T. I've been doing some research and 340 RWHP is common for Auto SS and 330 is common for R/T. If I'm not mistaken R/T will win with a good driver. Give me your input

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
My Mopar 10 weighs in the 3900 range with a full tank of gas so it would be a good race with the AUTO SS. I believe there have been some bone stock R/T's running in the low 13's so the R/T might even be faster than the AUTO SS.

·
Registered
402 Posts
This has happened many of times. What's funniest is that they think they will destroy the challenger, then they end up either losing to it or being a much closer race than they thought. And happens the other way too. It really is a driver race. They will usually have a higher trap speed though.

·
Registered
402 Posts
My Mopar 10 weighs in the 3900 range with a full tank of gas so it would be a good race with the AUTO SS. I believe there have been some bone stock R/T's running in the low 13's so the R/T might even be faster than the AUTO SS.
Your Mopar 10 should be able to do real well against them. Are you planning on taking it to they track? I would love to see the numbers.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
If this is their actual weight, it becomes a drivers race against a stock R/T. I've been doing some research and 340 RWHP is common for Auto SS and 330 is common for R/T. If I'm not mistaken R/T will win with a good driver. Give me your input
this is something that the auto SS owners definitely have a hard time dealing with on one particular camaro forum! for one thing, the 5.7 makes more torque than both SS's let alone the 400hp version so it is a drivers race regardless of what they want to believe...ESPECIALLY when you line an auto challenger up against one. plus you gotta factor in that they both dyno around the same numbers further supporting the "5.7 is underrated" assumption.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
A drivers race indeed. There have been Stock RT challenger's running high 12's with time slips to back it up.

Low 13's is good, some cars and drivers are just faster. Combine them and wala, 12's.

Could probably say the same for the Cameo.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
A drivers race indeed. There have been Stock RT challenger's running high 12's with time slips to back it up.

Low 13's is good, some cars and drivers are just faster. Combine them and wala, 12's.

Could probably say the same for the Cameo.
not that i'm trying to discount your claim...but when you say stock, do you mean showroom stock or just engine stock with DRs and catback for example?

i'd love to have proof for my Camaro buddies that a "boat" R/T ran high 12's stock!

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
not that i'm trying to discount your claim...but when you say stock, do you mean showroom stock or just engine stock with DRs and catback for example?

i'd love to have proof for my Camaro buddies that a "boat" R/T ran high 12's stock!
One user name stands out, dodgetony. I think his car was less then a week old and like 300 miles when he done his first stock run.

There are others, look in the modified section, there are tons of time slips in the sticky sections.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
One user name stands out, dodgetony. I think his car was less then a week old and like 300 miles when he done his first stock run.

There are others, look in the modified section, there are tons of time slips in the sticky sections.
ok, gotcha...those were'nt necessarily showroom stock but ones with minor mods...it doesnt take much!

oh yeah, and think dodgetony's ran a 13.1 showroom stock if i remember correctly.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
It should also be noted that there are plenty of 14.5 RT challengers due to slower cars and less experienced drivers.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
It should also be noted that there are plenty of 14.5 RT challengers due to slower cars and less experienced drivers.
haha, unfortunately, that would be me! :jester:

that is until i get more experience at the track...

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I've kind of wondered why the big hoopla about the weight of the Challenger when the Camaro is nearly as heavy. Now, the Mustang is another story; I think they are several hundred pounds lighter.

I'll say it again, all three of these cars are great cars, and if you can remember back to the late 70's, all of the 80's, and early 90's, guys would have given their left testicle to be able to buy any of the three. Tremendous HP and Torque, with acceptable fuel economy was unheard of then.

I remember my RoadRunner got 10-12 mpg back then, with less HP.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Less experienced drivers I get, but how can one Challenger be significantly "slower" than the next?

·
Registered
402 Posts
true. But the same can be said about the Camaro. I've seen some terrible times in the Camaro. But obviously, they never talk about it, just like don't like to talk about it. In the 1/8 mile near my house 2011 v6 mustang beat a SS Camaro with a few bolt-ons. He was manual and completely bogged down on every start. He just needs to practice some more, then he should be strong. Haven't been there since, so I wonder how he is doing now.

·
Premium Member
1,746 Posts
My 6sp Mopar'10 "with a spare tire", says it shipped from the factory with 8g of gas at 4001 lbs, on the shipping notice.

Have not actually weighed it... but I don't expect it to be any "lighter" then a regular RT

·
Premium Member
1,746 Posts
I'll say it again, all three of these cars are great cars, and if you can remember back to the late 70's, all of the 80's, and early 90's, guys would have given their left testicle to be able to buy any of the three. Tremendous HP and Torque, with acceptable fuel economy was unheard of then.

I remember my RoadRunner got 10-12 mpg back then, with less HP.
And today you would have to give your right testicle to get your old Road Runner back

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
ok, gotcha...those were'nt necessarily showroom stock but ones with minor mods...it doesnt take much!

oh yeah, and think dodgetony's ran a 13.1 showroom stock if i remember correctly.
stock, 1.94 60', 13.12 @ 108.16 (3 days old)
Current NA: 60' 1.68, 12.441 @ 109.24
Current w/100 ZEX shot: 1.59 60', 11.691 @ 115+

Showroom stock vs. stock, as long as everyones on the same page.

Drivers race.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Less experienced drivers I get, but how can one Challenger be significantly "slower" than the next?

Manufacturing tolerances in every part from hard parts to software to sensors to wire indifferences to tires to just about any thing man made.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
stock, 1.94 60', 13.12 @ 108.16 (3 days old)
Current NA: 60' 1.68, 12.441 @ 109.24
Current w/100 ZEX shot: 1.59 60', 11.691 @ 115+

Showroom stock vs. stock, as long as everyones on the same page.

Drivers race.
cool. thanks for digging those numbers up!

just so you know, i'm not disagreeing with you that its a drivers race:bigthumb:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts