Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced the stock clutch last week... not a whole lot of clutch left before the rivets. I'll let the pictures tell most of the story.

I can only show one of the clutches, the other is trapped behind the floater plate and pressure plate (rivets holding them together).

Spec clutch (P trim) is in and getting broken in.

Attachments

·
Registered
191 Posts
Thanks for posting and sharing pics!
Always curious to see how they hold up and looks to be not so bad for that many passes and miles.

Did you happen to take a pic of the crank pilot? Reason I ask is when I transplanted a 6.1 into a '71 Cuda, I needed to remove a ring pressed into the crank pilot. I'm wondering if the manual engines have this same ring. It us about a 2" OD with an ID of about 1.5"

How are you liking your spec clutch?

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for posting and sharing pics!
Always curious to see how they hold up and looks to be not so bad for that many passes and miles.

Did you happen to take a pic of the crank pilot? Reason I ask is when I transplanted a 6.1 into a '71 Cuda, I needed to remove a ring pressed into the crank pilot. I'm wondering if the manual engines have this same ring. It us about a 2" OD with an ID of about 1.5"

How are you liking your spec clutch?
Sorry, I didn't get a pic of the pilot bearing.

The Spec clutch is a little grabby and chatters some with light acceleration at take off. A little more rpm seems to take care of that though. I've got 540 or so miles on it right now.

·
Banned
7,566 Posts
Did you do the install? How was it?

I think Sam has the P-Trim Spec clutch but I don't remember his chattering. His is the 900 ft/lbs model.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did you do the install? How was it?

I think Sam has the P-Trim Spec clutch but I don't remember his chattering. His is the 900 ft/lbs model.
No, I drove over to a friends shop and had let them replace it. Not going to be easy on jack stands and also wrestle the transmission out and back in (I did that twice with an automatic years ago). The exhaust comes out to get the drive shaft out and for more room. The bolts seemed fairly easy to get to. The one sticking point was the alignment tool fit tight in the transmission side clutch (IIRC) and they had difficulty removing it. Bleeding the new throw out bearing... the service manual said up to 200 pumps... yeah, that's optimistic.

The torque spec for the P-trim is 1395 ft lbs, I believe the SS-tirm is 900 ft lbs (organic material).

·
Registered
1,113 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Now that's getting the use out of the clutch, was it slipping badly or just sounding like a hamster in a blender?
Actually it was still working fine, barely any chatter, when I replaced it. You can see the the black marks on the floating plate and flywheel, I bet those are warped spots. I've had the spec clutch here since Aug, I bought it after smoking the clutch at the track. It recovered and I kept running the stock clutch at the track (ran 12.83 with it and 60' as low as 1.79). The reason it was replaced... I knew it had a limited life left, and I could not get it to grab well enough to get a lower 60'.

·
Banned
4,698 Posts
Yeah...I have the SS-trim. It chattered a little bit until I did some HARD burnouts and then it really seated nicely. The pedal is a bit more firm than stock and the release is right at the top (I mean last two inches), but once you get used to it...it's like butta'

No complaints so after 4K+ miles and I'm not gentle on her :)

HemiSam

1 - 12 of 12 Posts