Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the opportunity the other to take a couple pictures of the car while it was up in the air for its first oil change. While in the air, I found the passenger side exhaust pipe to be fairly mangled. Please see it below.

Has anyone else seen the exhaust like this on their Challenger?

·
Super Moderator
15,099 Posts
Is that exhaust stock?.....The SRT has X pipes...I would have thought the RT would too?
'stick cars have H-pipe cross overs - its the 'auto versions that have that X-pipe.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Just think of your car as "Nemo" with a bad fin, except you have a bent pipe! Your car is special.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Hal, my car is A auto R/T and it came with an H pipe like his before i replaced it with the flow masters force 2... the only thing that was different on my stock exhaust is they were welded on not clamps that i see on his...

·
Registered
2009 R/T
1,371 Posts
Just think of your car as "Nemo" with a bad fin, except you have a bent pipe! Your car is special.
Nope....that's how all R/T stick exhausts are like. X pipe on autos are non-functional with suitcase muffler.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is a stock 6 speed R/T . Are you guys saying this is pretty normal? I was okay picking stick bugs out of the trunk when I got this car, I can except the fact my spoilers plastic push rivets can pop up, not really liking my third brake has a dead mosquito stuck in there but living with it, ... but the exhaust has kinda pissed me off. Me and my family have always owned mopars and I would hate to see them go to hell because of dumb things like this.

1,931 Posts
This is a stock 6 speed R/T . Are you guys saying this is pretty normal? I was okay picking stick bugs out of the trunk when I got this car, I can except the fact my spoilers plastic push rivets can pop up, not really liking my third brake has a dead mosquito stuck in there but living with it, ... but the exhaust has kinda pissed me off. Me and my family have always owned mopars and I would hate to see them go to hell because of dumb things like this.
Sounds like a can of Raid will fix most of your issues....

·
Super Moderator
15,099 Posts
Hal, my car is A auto R/T and it came with an H pipe like his before i replaced it with the flow masters force 2... the only thing that was different on my stock exhaust is they were welded on not clamps that i see on his...
Mine has the clamps where the mids join to the rear section, just like the OPs image, although mine doesn't have the pass side with the multiple bends/kinks.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
are they welded from the mufflers on back? that is what i was probably looking at on mine, when the muffler shop was replacing my exhaust, its been awhile since i had it done lol but I know mine did come with the H pipe I remember taken it home

·
Registered
601 Posts
It appears everyone in this thread almost has a different look to their exhaust. To the original poster, do you have the hemi tick? Just curious because several posters have mentioned it sounded like it was coming more from the passenger side. I wonder if the inconsistencies in the exhaust like the OPs picture might be a cause for the inconsistencies of the tick or dodges way of trying to solve the tick. For the life of me I can't imagine how that could happen in that photo other than in perpose but why on earth would they make one side like that and not the other?

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
that is sorta weird.. my tic is always on the right, never thought of that. mine's an auto and I don't know what those pipes forward of the mufflers look like but I can say that the pipes behind the mufflers on mine are messier (oddly bent) on the right side and straighter on the left.

·
Registered
535 Posts
:scratchhead: Your worried about something no one will see

·
Registered
601 Posts
I don't think he is worried about ppl seeing it. I think he is more worried about the fact that a 30 plus thousand dollar car came with an exhaust from the factory that looks like it was built by a monkey with a hammer rather than mandrel bends. If it were me and if I noticed that on the car before purchase I'd have used that to get a mopar exhaust on for free. Several ppl said theirs look like that but there is NO WAY it's suppose to be like that. Can it harm the engine and performance? Probably not but I wouldn't accept a car with an exhaust looking like that new from the factory. Especially if there are cars on the lot that DONT look like that.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Don't see an issue with the bends othern than minor pressure losses. They really don't seem that bad to me. Then again, I'm used to non-mandrel bent 2" pipes on old cars. I have to admit that I was shocked at how much GM flattened the driver's side exhaust on the older LS1 F-bodies - I did think that was somewhat severe.

I'm a little surprised that this looks nothing like my 2010 6-Speed R/T. My 2 pipes come together in an X, but I'm not sure if it actually allows for cross-flow or if they remain seperate. Anybody know when this changed or the reason?

·
Registered
601 Posts
Does anyone have pictures of their factory x pipe? After looking at the photo again it looks like they used a piece of pipe that was meant to be used to make an x pipe but didn't turn out too well.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts