Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I recently picked up a A8 2016 Scat Pack Shaker and am loving it so far! One thing that I noticed is that there is quite a bit of exhaust drone - mostly when cruising at like 60-70mph or when driving at low rpms.

Is that normal on these cars? It's my first large V8 car so maybe I'm just not used to it yet? It's a CPO so I don't think anything has been modified but would need to check on my next service.

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
Hi,
Yes when ours goes into 4cyl. for gas savings we pick up a drone. If you arrow down....or up on the left side of the steering wheel arrows to economy. You will see that when it says 4 cyl. you will hear the drone. IF you really hate this you can go into sport mode and it will disable the 4 cyl. feature. See if that helps. It will cost you more gas money but...... it is your car. Hahaha! Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
13,847 Posts
As Silver Scat said, the MDS deactivation of the 4 cylinders may be causing the drone that you are hearing. That's the price you pay for better gas mileage. I like it that my 6.1 doesn't have this feature.

Another thing to check is the mufflers and resonators. Although its unlikely, because it was a CPO, have the dealer look at them to insure that nothing was modified.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. It seems that the drone is the worst at about 1500 rpms even when driving in the city it likes to hang around there and makes a really low drone. If above that it quiets down ALOT.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,507 Posts
This is where the active exhaust flaps on the +2017 comes in handy. On the Grand Cherokees there are exhaust flaps specifically designed into the system to unwanted MDS generated noise.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is where the active exhaust flaps on the +2017 comes in handle. On the grand cherokees there are exhaust flaps specifically designed into the system to unwanted MDS generated noise.
I hear it not only in MDS but whenever around 1500 rpm when gently applying accelerating around town.

·
Registered
267 Posts
My 16 SRT had it too. I added Dynamat (Fatmat) to most of the trunk and it went down considerably.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,507 Posts
I hear it not only in MDS but whenever around 1500 rpm when gently applying accelerating around town.
1500 seems to be the right RPM for drone on these cars. The 2015 and 2016 5.7 RTs had big old suitcase type resos in the back which did a great job on getting rid of drone, but then everyone complains it is too quiet. I think the SP resos are smaller so maybe not as effective but I thought that is what the electronic flaps are for? I have heard of SP owners using the tazer to deactivate the flaps and they seem to love the sound...have not heard anyone complain about drone though?

·
Premium Member
2,659 Posts
1500RPM is pretty low, that's why you're hearing drone.

·
Premium Member
2,659 Posts
1500rpm is highway RPM and for manuals a typical transition RPM when putzing around town. I would say 1000 RPM is too low but 1500 RPM is a frequent engine speed when taking it easy.
When I set the cruise at 70 mph on the highway I'm at 1800 rpms.
I guess if you drove 60 mph you'd be at 1500 rpms but you'd also get run over on So Cal highways! :grin2:

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,507 Posts
Thanks for the responses all. So it seems that the 1500 rpm drone that I'm hearing is a normal thing?
On my stock 5.7 RT+ manual there was absolutely no drone. Now you have me wondering if the stock 6.4 SP may be a little prone to drone from the start?

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
Thanks guys. It seems that the drone is the worst at about 1500 rpms even when driving in the city it likes to hang around there and makes a really low drone. If above that it quiets down ALOT.

Did you trying driving in sport mode to see if it clears up?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Did you trying driving in sport mode to see if it clears up?
I did, and it seemed to make the drone either the same or slightly louder.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Any suggestions? The drone is almost skull buzzing at 1500 rpm regardless of mode, MDS, etc. When I get out of the car my hearing is dulled...lol.

·
Premium Member
2,659 Posts
Any suggestions? The drone is almost skull buzzing at 1500 rpm regardless of mode, MDS, etc. When I get out of the car my hearing is dulled...lol.
Suggestions? Try driving at slightly more than 1,500 rpm's (don't know how you could spend much time there anyway) >:)

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,507 Posts
Are you positive you have a stock exhaust? I saw in one of your earlier posts that this car showed up as being in an accident on carfax before you bought it. Can you take a picture of your rear resonantors? If your getting skull numbing drone it could be that someone might have put different resonators on the back.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Are you positive you have a stock exhaust? I saw in one of your earlier posts that this car showed up as being in an accident on carfax before you bought it. Can you take a picture of your rear resonantors? If your getting skull numbing drone it could be that someone might have put different resonators on the back.
I can take pictures tonight - thank you for the help. I actually didn't end up buying that car - this one is a CPO with clean record.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts