Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2009 SRT8
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just got the Mopar Now mag and they try to grenade a 5.7 with too much boost! It is a well used truck 5.7 that is taken apart to make sure it runs/no spun bearings etc. I think they re-used the original rings, however they said that they opened the ring gap to .035. They put in a different cam because they wanted to put out as much HP as possible N/A so they can have more HP when boosted. The point was to try and break the hemi, the crank/rods or pistons. So they even added ARP studs and MLS gasket for the heads so they dont blow a gasket/etc. So apparently the stock internals were able to handle about 18 psi of boost and 1100+ hp, with race gas/and the proper tune!
In the same magazine there is an article about stuff that will break if you have a Dodge 5.7/6.1. Arrington says (the 5.7) the internals will not handle more than 650hp for the rods/something around there. Crankshaft handles up to 650 hp.
I wish they would have been able to test a real 5.7 without changing the ring gap. What is the stock ring gap??
Anybody read these articles?

·
Registered
636 Posts
Seems fishy. I hope it's true, but one article is not gonna convince most people to spend $10,000 for 15psi without going with forged internals. Also trying to blow a motor in an afternoon is a lot different then putting 10k miles on a boosted engine.

I do believe these motors are underestimated though and if the safe range is 6-8 psi you can run 8 all day. Just my opinion though

·
Registered
2009 SRT8
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The magazine says they believe that most stock 5.7 Hemi's are blown up because of the ring gaps or improper tune/detonation.
Apparently if you have a Hemi 5.7 motor apart and plan on boosting it, why would you just put rings with a bigger gap and not spend a few hundred on forged pistons??
Sounds like the rods/crank/block are very strong.
You think running 1000hp is too much for the stock internals??
Maybe ARP head studs and MLS head gaskets!!
Maybe you have an engine in standby....just in case???
Anyone want to try this?
Run your stock internals up to 1000hp with 15psi of boost??
Hell if this pretty close to happening, that means a stock 5.7 should be able to do 760hp with about 15 psi. With stock cam and heads.
I wonder if Arrington will chime in?
Does he think the stock 5.7 will last with opened ring gaps and proper tune/fuel-octane?

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
I just got the Mopar Now mag and they try to grenade a 5.7 with too much boost! It is a well used truck 5.7 that is taken apart to make sure it runs/no spun bearings etc. I think they re-used the original rings, however they said that they opened the ring gap to .035. They put in a different cam because they wanted to put out as much HP as possible N/A so they can have more HP when boosted. The point was to try and break the hemi, the crank/rods or pistons. So they even added ARP studs and MLS gasket for the heads so they dont blow a gasket/etc. So apparently the stock internals were able to handle about 18 psi of boost and 1100+ hp, with race gas/and the proper tune!
In the same magazine there is an article about stuff that will break if you have a Dodge 5.7/6.1. Arrington says (the 5.7) the internals will not handle more than 650hp for the rods/something around there. Crankshaft handles up to 650 hp.
I wish they would have been able to test a real 5.7 without changing the ring gap. What is the stock ring gap??
I have that rag and read the articles...interesting.

·
Super Moderator
09 RT Challenger auto
3,467 Posts
Most stock boosted motors pop a ring land. I think mine stock end gap was 10
Yep my new motor is opened up. And I used the right ring and wall finish was very important.
Why its not an oil burner.
Then comes the tune up. The second reason they pop. Or combo of both.
But 1000 plus HP. WOW !!!!! dont know what to say.
FlatTop

·
Registered
6,341 Posts
It may make 1K HP for some dyno runs but it sure isn't going to last.

·
Registered
2009 SRT8
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
So if it can make 1100+ hp. How much can you de-tune and make it reliable??
I guess that is the question. Someones reliability of 1000hp could be what?
Depends on how its driven right?
In Dallas traffic I cant make good use of 1000hp until it is after midnight.
My Challenger is my daily driver.
De-tune it to 900Hp or 800 hp...turn down the boost just as easy right!
Be prepared to use your engine as a core...lol!
The thing is if I had my motor out to open up the rings...i would probably spend the extra money for better rings/pistons. They have to be removed from the block anyway right?
Maybe I would forgo the crank and rods???
I want to hear if anyone just did the pistons as forged and left the rest stock.
Or would this entice some budget racers to try it?
Most of us are budget racers!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
i bought a 2015 rt plus from a 350lbs NFL football player who said dont wreck it it is seriously fast well it pulls front wheels off the ground 2 feet 1st&2nd puts black marks across the finish line at 160 mph on 20 inch street in launch mode does 150mph without launch. 190 1/2 mile i have beat turbo porche new vette a racecar lexus a hyabusa 5.7 bro no boost all on $$$rebuild

computer can be tuned to whatever you do to it

not to many people are willing to rebuild a new motor but that is exactly what you should do

·
Registered
232 Posts
So if it can make 1100+ hp. How much can you de-tune and make it reliable??
I guess that is the question. Someones reliability of 1000hp could be what?
Depends on how its driven right?
In Dallas traffic I cant make good use of 1000hp until it is after midnight.
My Challenger is my daily driver.
De-tune it to 900Hp or 800 hp...turn down the boost just as easy right!
Be prepared to use your engine as a core...lol!
The thing is if I had my motor out to open up the rings...i would probably spend the extra money for better rings/pistons. They have to be removed from the block anyway right?
Maybe I would forgo the crank and rods???
I want to hear if anyone just did the pistons as forged and left the rest stock.
Or would this entice some budget racers to try it?
Most of us are budget racers!!
Well I am sort of testing this I suppose.... All stock engine and no ring gap work done. About 20 1/4 runs and 3000 miles street use @ 12.5psi. No issues so far on Kenne Bells tune with 1000cc Meth jet 50/50 mix creating 11.4 AFR
I had/have the money in hand for a forged short block when/if needed.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Well I am sort of testing this I suppose.... All stock engine and no ring gap work done. About 20 1/4 runs and 3000 miles street use @ 12.5psi. No issues so far on Kenne Bells tune with 1000cc Meth jet 50/50 mix creating 11.4 AFR
I had/have the money in hand for a forged short block when/if needed.
Ohhh just saw how old this thread was.......

·
Registered
2 Posts
Learned the hard way on boosting a 5.7, had Whipple 2.9l installed with Whipple tune, 91 oct, first motor lasted about 3,000 miles, blew bottom ring off 3 pistons, 2 motor installed lasted roughly 9000 miles , also blew bottom rings off several pistons, on 2nd motor used larger pulley went from a 3.5 to a 4", also Whipple supplied a new tune suppose to be safer, stock motor with headers, the exhaust OEM manifolds are crap, unless you like changing motors put forged pistons, and better rings OEM is cheap , Boosted several 5.0 mustangs with Whipple, the 5.7 cant take it, also has really low quality timing chain, 2017 5.7 hemi,, on 3 rd motor, not boosting the 3rd engine until forged, pistons

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
14,275 Posts
Welcome to Challengertalk ;) Had you looked into custom tune? It always seems the one supplied by the manufacturer is far from optimal

A Guy

·
Registered
2 Posts
Welcome to Challengertalk ;) Had you looked into custom tune? It always seems the one supplied by the manufacturer is far from optimal

A Guy
Prior to that no I did not look into a custom tune took it that Whipple knew what they were doing after several file runs with HP tuners that I sent in but I took my Corvette down to a place in Oklahoma to get a tune after putting on a Vortech. The guy who did the town said he tried doing a Mopar also same thing happened to him and he was a tuner blew the bottom rings off the engine so that the Stock rings are really weak. He rebuilt it with different pistons and rings and hasn’t had a problem sense. I got the blower motor in my garage I’m going to do a bore job. And I had forged pistons and some rings made for boosted

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
5,812 Posts
What is the stock ring gap??
Looks like the 5.7 have a slightly bigger stock top gap than the 6.2 & 6.4.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
5,812 Posts
Here are recommended ring gaps I pulled from a Hemi performance build book.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts