Dodge Challenger Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
657 Posts
Yes, still no issues so far engine wise........do have some trans slip (Auto) on full noise 3rd to 4th gear shift though.
Very cool! I'm going with the 2.9 Whipple on top of my existing 274 phaser cam in my 5.7. Sounds like I will hit right around 600hp ~550tq range with 8lbs. I was a little nervous going that high on the bottom end, but talking with the tuner I use he has cranked out quite a few 5.7's hitting 650+ to the wheels and no issues. Dodge does use Nodular iron for the cranks in the 5.7 which is quite a bit stronger than just cast iron. It seems to be proving its worth. I assume you running 12psi on the stock cam should have you well over 600hp. And if the pistons with stock ring gap can take 12lbs I now have zero concerns.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
6,181 Posts
600hp or 600rwhp? On a 5.7 you probably will need more than just 8lbs boost and a cam for 600rwhp, based on this chart I put together from customer builds from here:

·
Premium Member
657 Posts
I'm at 450rwhp with my current config. There is another guy here on the forum that has the 274 with the whipple pushing 580. I do believe having the larger cam and LTs gives the extra bump over the chart you have, but I will know for sure after the dyno. I have it scheduled for March 19th. I'll post the results. I do realize I am being optimistic with close to 600rwhp but hoping for at least 550rwhp.

I bet you are over 500 with your setup. I thought I read here that you noticed quite a bump after the cam swap?

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
6,181 Posts
The chart was based off all those dyno sheets and you are correct the cam definitely made the engine feel more peppy. I just need to see how close to 500 rwhp I am as well. Tune is still not optimal but hope to get it squared away this spring. Over on the HP tuners forum there is a thread where the 6.2 or demon cam is recommended for forced induction applications as it has more exhaust duration, which kind of surprised me as I thought most of the guys would recommend aftermarket grinds.

·
Premium Member
657 Posts
The phaser is an decent grind for boost.. It has a wider LSA and the longer duration exhuast lobe. So I figured going with the whipple would work out pretty well.

If you look at the 274 phaser profile and the hellcat they are similar.. 274 more duration higher lift while the hellcat has a wider LSA. And I see the demon cam they only extend the LSA to 123.

274:
Int. Advertised Duration: 274
Exh. Advertised Duration: 287
Int. Duration @ .050: 226
Exh. Duration @ .050: 234
Lift: .619Exh.
Lift: .612Int.
LSA: 116

Hellcat cam is
I - .561" lift duration @50= 215
E - .551" lift duration @.50= 230
LSA is 120.5

Thanks for the info by the way.

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
2,523 Posts
I'd say that looking at overlap is important too when selecting the right cam (especially if you're going turbo, and not as important on a blower setup).It's the time that both valves are open and to much could cause that hard earned boost to fly right out of the exhaust and be pretty much useless. An indicator would be the LSA (Lobe Separation Angle). I'd say anything from 112-118 would be good, but that's just my opinion. The new Stage 2 HRT series from Comp Cams looks pretty nice as does the 274 or Hellcat cam.

The bigger LSA makes the cam idle nicer too. The big exhaust duration is a good thing for a blower too.

·
Registered
117 Posts
The Demon’s gun-drilled steel camshaft has different profiles from the original Hellcat. The newest supercharged Hemi has intake and exhaust lift of 14.25mm and 14mm, lobe centers of 109° and 137°, and durations of 224° and 240° at 0.050” of lift. This camshaft is paired with hydraulic roller tappets (no MDS) and hydraulic actuated variable valve timing, with a total variation of 17°.

The phaser is an decent grind for boost.. It has a wider LSA and the longer duration exhuast lobe. So I figured going with the whipple would work out pretty well.

If you look at the 274 phaser profile and the hellcat they are similar.. 274 more duration higher lift while the hellcat has a wider LSA. And I see the demon cam they only extend the LSA to 123.

274:
Int. Advertised Duration: 274
Exh. Advertised Duration: 287
Int. Duration @ .050: 226
Exh. Duration @ .050: 234
Lift: .619Exh.
Lift: .612Int.
LSA: 116

Hellcat cam is
I - .561" lift duration @50= 215
E - .551" lift duration @.50= 230
LSA is 120.5

Thanks for the info by the way.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
6,181 Posts
I must admit getting comments from the pros like the post below really helps breakdown cam theory in simple terms.

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
2,523 Posts
I must admit getting comments from the pros like the post below really helps breakdown cam theory in simple terms.
Good info. Thanks for the link ChallyTatum!

I've got a ton to learn about Hemi's and Appreciate the info. I know a bit about LSx motors and just thought that a motor is basically an air pump and what might make it work more efficiently. I didn't think about the Hemi heads changing things.

·
Premium Member
657 Posts
Yeah that takes the textbook info and puts it into real-world scenarios.. Thanks for sharing.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts