Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried searching for "dyno results" and got a slew of threads on various different topics that may or may not contain what I'm looking for, so I'm calling it out..

I was talking to a fellow '09 6 spd R/T owner last year, and he told me that he dyno'ed his stock and it was only getting about 318 rwhp, and that the advertised 376 is at the flywheel only.

Does anyone have dyno results from a stock R/T that can back this up or debunk it?

I'm keeping mine almost totally stock (only mods so far are sequential taillights and srt hood vents), so I'm not interested in how much potential the motor has, I'm just curious what it legitimately has from the factory.

·
Administrator
17,155 Posts
318 rwhp sounds about right. Drive train losses are approximately 15%.

·
Registered
616 Posts
That RWHP sounds low. My understanding is that it's about 335, and about 360 torque. But different dynos/different conditions result in quite different numbers.

·
Registered
402 Posts
People have gotten a range of numbers. 318 sounds closer to what the automatic puts down. Most 6 spds seem to put down 330-345. But it has alot to deal with the dyno, and conditions like DJR said. Are you at a high elevation?

Interestingly, alot of people say that R/T are underrated from the factory, that it really is more like 390 from the factory. Not sure of that, but quite a bit of people got these results.

·
Premium Member
559 Posts
People have gotten a range of numbers. 318 sounds closer to what the automatic puts down. Most 6 spds seem to put down 330-345. But it has alot to deal with the dyno, and conditions like DJR said. Are you at a high elevation?

Interestingly, alot of people say that R/T are underrated from the factory, that it really is more like 390 from the factory. Not sure of that, but quite a bit of people got these results.
I just traded a 2007 Charger SRT8 and this Mopar 10 actually seems to be quicker. Pins you back in the seat. Maybe on real high speeds the Charger SRT8 would get it but this 5.7 Hemi is a wonderful engine. = Fast car = Love it!!!

·
Registered
402 Posts
I just traded a 2007 Charger SRT8 and this Mopar 10 actually seems to be quicker. Pins you back in the seat. Maybe on real high speeds the Charger SRT8 would get it but this 5.7 Hemi is a wonderful engine. = Fast car = Love it!!!
Yeah, I would imagine that the Mopar10 to be more powerful than a stock R/T. I would love to see a dyno.

·
Registered
2009 Challenger R/T
2,991 Posts
Idk where you are getting "318 is right for the autos". Most consistantly put down about 330-335rwhp on a dyno jet. I can't really prove this with my car because I've only been dynoed on a Mustang dyno and a Dyno Dynamics dyno (both in which read more than 10% lower than a dynojet). I put down 335rwhp on a mustang dyno with just a tune and mbrp exhaust. Then put down 358rwhp & 384rwtq on a dyno dynamics with a custom tune, mbrp exhaust, jba shortys, and catless mids (stock SRT8s put down 330rwhp on this dyno)

·
Registered
402 Posts
Idk where you are getting "318 is right for the autos". Most consistantly put down about 330-335rwhp on a dyno jet. I can't really prove this with my car because I've only been dynoed on a Mustang dyno and a Dyno Dynamics dyno (both in which read more than 10% lower than a dynojet). I put down 335rwhp on a mustang dyno with just a tune and mbrp exhaust. Then put down 358rwhp & 384rwtq on a dyno dynamics with a custom tune, mbrp exhaust, jba shortys, and catless mids (stock SRT8s put down 330rwhp on this dyno)
Sorry I offended you, I should have put that the 318 is on the low side of auto trans numbers. I've seen dyno's of 6-spds as low as around 322 whp and auto as low as 315 whp. and some as high 340-350 whp. So there is quite a bit of range that people get. I'm glad you got one fast car. Not sure why there is so much difference except for when the cars were dynoed. (some were low mileage= drive-train not worn in; and climate conditions play a huge factor)

I got that from a couple of sources. Obviously, depending on dyno you can the same car put down completely different numbers. But also, auto trans has more parasitic drive train loss, then the manual does, usually about 3-5%. Also, you have cars that come out of the factory with more or less power then others. They all don't make the same power.

·
Registered
2009 Challenger R/T
2,991 Posts
Not offended at all, just clearing up that 318 isn't really on the normal side. I know that there are many variables when comparing dyno numbers from car to car, but there has been a ton of people post up 330s. While I never really seen anyone lower than 320.. So to me and others 330rwhp is what most R/T owners are getting. Sorry if I came off wrong, hard to know someones tone behind text.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
car and driver just did a nice writeup on the variations between dyno makes and models. they used a GT500 and the numbers were all different from dyno to dyno with the same car. i skimmed through it pretty quick at the store, but i think they accounted for difference in temps and stuff. wish they had some kinda of standard so we know how cars really stack up against each other!

·
Registered
402 Posts
Not offended at all, just clearing up that 318 isn't really on the normal side. I know that there are many variables when comparing dyno numbers from car to car, but there has been a ton of people post up 330s. While I never really seen anyone lower than 320.. So to me and others 330rwhp is what most R/T owners are getting. Sorry if I came off wrong, hard to know someones tone behind text.
No problem. I never mind being corrected. That's how you learn.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
153 Posts
I have a 09 R/T with the auto trans and I just had it dyno'ed on a Dynojet two weeks ago. I have the following mods: Predator canned tune with 180 thermostat, Magnaflow exhaust and a Cervini's CAI. The results show 348.50 HP and 366.57 torque. I was really surprised at the number because I expected a lot lower number due to drivetrain losses etc. It was a very cold morning and the dyno is only a year old. I'm still skeptical of the numbers but those were the results.

·
Premium Member
559 Posts
Yeah, I would imagine that the Mopar10 to be more powerful than a stock R/T. I would love to see a dyno.

Absolutely! You're right on! :bigthumb:

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Are you at a high elevation?
I'm in southern california, almost sea level, but the guy who told me he got 318 in his 6 spd was in south carolina.. I have no idea what the elevation is there..

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
I too had just traded my 2007 SRT8 Charger in for a 2010 R/T Classic. I also just got the Mopar 10 a week before. I have to say that the Mopar 10 feels much faster than my R/T Classic. WHY!!??? who the hell knows but it does feel faster. The only differance in the 2 is that the Mopar 10 has the cold air intake. The Mopar 10 felt just as fast as my SRT8 did when it was stock. The SRT might have had a tiny bit on the top end but the mopar 10 feels alot better down low. Hell, the R/T Classic feels like it has more bottom end than my SRT STOCK did also. LOL Anyway, no dyno results for either my 10 or R/T Classic YET. Will have some once they have broken in a bit. Still have less than 600 miles on each.

·
Premium Member
559 Posts
I'm in southern california, almost sea level, but the guy who told me he got 318 in his 6 spd was in south carolina.. I have no idea what the elevation is there..
Depending on what part of SC, sea level on the coast, 686ft in the upstate (Greenville Spartanburg on I85) to really hig altitude in the mountains.
I do a lot of fishing so I have an altimeter on my watch with a log. But I never thought this would come in handy on the Challenger site. I think one of the vendors (HemiDodge or similar) is in Charleston = sea level. If I got mine tuned and dynoed there, what difference would the 686 ft where I live?

·
Premium Member
559 Posts
Mopar 10 mods???

Ok guys, I need some help here. On one hand I want to keep the Mopar stock since it is rare. But I'm 66 and don't think I'll make it to see it become a valuable classic.
I do like having a warranty so here are a couple of questions:

1, Will a DiabloPredator tune and dyno void my factory warranty and will it increase HP. (I don't care to disable the MDS)

2, Will a Mopar part P5155754 exhaust system (the corsa 'anti drone' system) void my warranty and will it add any HP?

I'm more than happy with the gas mileage and the car really is very quick but I would like what I could get from the engine. (But I have to keep my warranty)
Also, my car is registered in an emissions county in NC and would have to pass that - what ever it is.

Might have to bring in some big guns in on these 2 questions so if you know any guys with a lot of technical knowledge, please send them my way.

I put the hood struts on (all by myself - very easy and real nice) and plan to get splash guards put on and maybe the Challenger Door Sills (wish Mopar made some with their logo). I know this won't void my warranty but I'm really adding the weight :)

Thanks to all for putting up with my questions. God Bless,,

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
I have an email from diablosport saying that their preditor DOES NOT void the warranty if you'ld like a copy of it. I've read it adds 20 HP but the CAI says it adds 30 and everyone says it don't add anything.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts