Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen that several RT owners have installed a stock SRT exhaust on their cars. I searched and found a couple of short threads that talked about doing this swap but nothing outlining the pros/cons and the overall process involved in any amount of detail (unless I missed a thread, which is certainly possible). I realize that I would need an SRT compatible Cat-back exhaust as well (possibly a Corsa) due to the differenrce in midpipe outlet diameter, and my plan would be to do the whole job all at once.

My goals are to improve the flow and exhaust note (more agressive, but not overly obnoxious when not getting on it), and not introduce any emissions or CEL code issues in the process. The car is currently stock, but I might be looking at a SC down the road (if that influences any advice at this point). I plan on installing an aftermarket CAI as well (maybe a stock one from an SRT with a K&N filter would suffice for now until I make a decision on the SC).

I am hoping for advice on the following questions:

1) Is it a direct bolt on swap (or were any modifications necessary to make things fit)?

2) What gasket and bolt set did you use (I understand that the gaskets might be different (shields?) between the RT and SRT)?

3) Did you run into any CEL code issues (if so, how did you resolve them)?

4) I have an RT 6-speed, so I would need the headers and midpipe from a SRT 6-speed, right (or will parts from an SRT auto work as well)?

5) I understand that the shape of the ports changed from 2008 to 2009. Since I have a 2009 RT, am I safe to assume that any model year SRT Challenger with a model year 2009 or later would work as a donor?

6) Is this job something you would consider tackling in your own garage on ramps and jack stands (given the right tools and experience), or should I find a garage with a lift that would do the work for a reasonable price?

7) If you had to do it all again, would you do anything differently?

Thanks for your advice and paitience.

·
Registered
426 Posts
SRT cats and mids

I have seen that several RT owners have installed a stock SRT exhaust on their cars. I searched and found a couple of short threads that talked about doing this swap but nothing outlining the pros/cons and the overall process involved in any amount of detail (unless I missed a thread, which is certainly possible). I realize that I would need an SRT compatible Cat-back exhaust as well (possibly a Corsa) due to the differenrce in midpipe outlet diameter, and my plan would be to do the whole job all at once.

My goals are to improve the flow and exhaust note (more agressive, but not overly obnoxious when not getting on it), and not introduce any emissions or CEL code issues in the process. The car is currently stock, but I might be looking at a SC down the road (if that influences any advice at this point). I plan on installing an aftermarket CAI as well (maybe a stock one from an SRT with a K&N filter would suffice for now until I make a decision on the SC).

1) Is it a direct bolt on swap (or were any modifications necessary to make things fit)?
Bolted right in

2) What gasket and bolt set did you use (I understand that the gaskets might be different (shields?) between the RT and SRT)?I used the SRT gaskets and bolts

Yes had CMR tune and shut them off.Do you live in a smog check
state if so it could be a problem
4) I have an RT 6-speed, so I would need the headers and midpipe from a SRT 6-speed, right (or will parts from an SRT auto work as well)?
Manifolds cats and mids are the same

5) I understand that the shape of the ports changed from 2008 to 2009. Since I have a 2009 RT, am I safe to assume that any model year SRT Challenger with a model year 2009 or later would work as a donor?
Mine came from a 2008 SRT Challenger matched fine

6) Is this job something you would consider tackling in your own garage on ramps and jack stands (given the right tools and experience), or should I find a garage with a lift that would do the work for a reasonable price?
If you have the right tools it can be done.I paid someone with the tools and had done it before

Yes JBAs and stock cats.Only because of the CELs,I live in California
The seat dyno felt an improvement

Hope this all helps some

·
Registered
664 Posts

1) Is it a direct bolt on swap (or were any modifications necessary to make things fit)? Direct bolt on with midpipes too a catback exhaust. If using the stock rt exhaust a lil modification from a shop will be needed to widen the stock pipe to fit the srt midpipe.

2) What gasket and bolt set did you use (I understand that the gaskets might be different (shields?) between the RT and SRT)? Gaskets were no different from the 5.7 to the 6.1. I reused my 5.7 gaskets when putting on the srt heads. The RT does have a heatshield around the manifolds and i recommend reusing them around the 6.1 and I ended up using the 6.1 bolts member here was gracious enough to send me all the hardware with it so I thank him for that.

I have codes thrown ATM due to needing a upstream and downstream o2 sensor extension, after that fix I will see if code clears if not I could get a tune to clear them off. It doesn't bother me as I don't live in a emission state.

I'm sure you could use either or as thats futher up from the rest of the exhaust system.

5) I understand that the shape of the ports changed from 2008 to 2009. Since I have a 2009 RT, am I safe to assume that any model year SRT Challenger with a model year 2009 or later would work as a donor? I recieved my manifolds and mids from a 2009 srt and I have a 2009 r/t.

If your all about doing mods your self go for it, but when my shop told me a 4/5 hour job and they've done 2 of these before mine same setup I knew better than to even think of doing this mysef as it would take nearly 3x times as long. I would leave it too the professionals then again personal preference on that one.

I may have gotten a predator and wideband set up too check my A/F ratio see if i was running rich or lean, but other than that no not really I don't think those would be necessary may be a little overkill.

There was def a throttle responsise improvement much smoother through the whole rpm band. No hesistation at all there was a deeper tone to the exhaust, but not a major change. If your going to do this chances are you will throw a CEL code, but I'm using my stock cats and when i get my sensors put in they may turn off and read right and at that point i may have no problems with that :bigthumb:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the quick replies and advice ns1aar and 2quick2shift.

I am really concerned about the CEL codes. I was hoping that using the headers and midpipe/cats from an SRT would have avoided any such issues.

2quick2shift, you mentioned that you were waiting on extensions for the O2 sensors. Was this due to the Cat-back you chose or the parts from the SRT (I got a little confused when you said you were still using the stock cats).

ns1aar, you mentioned that you were able to turn off the O2 sensors with a CMR tune. I think I would fail emissions if the OBDII port reported that the sensors were turned off.

Has anyone done this swap and not had CEL or emissions issues?

Thanks to all for the advice.

·
Registered
664 Posts
2quick2shift, you mentioned that you were waiting on extensions for the O2 sensors. Was this due to the Cat-back you chose or the parts from the SRT (I got a little confused when you said you were still using the stock cats).

Has anyone done this swap and not had CEL or emissions issues?

Thanks to all for the advice.

They were parts I needed to buy. I installed the manifold and midpipes I was still able to use my stock cats so when I get my extensions in ill see if that resolves the issues with the cel.

·
Registered
426 Posts
2quick2shift did you have your R/T cats welded into the SRT pipes.I didn't see a way to just bolt them up.
I did talk to a member that had the R/T cats welded into the SRT pipes and it didn't throw CELs.
The Aft 02 sensor on the R/T is screwed into the cat and is futher upstream than the SRT, that might the problem with this setup.
I do have the o2 extensions on mine and really no help still throws codes just not as often.
I have heard that some states can have up to 2 status not ready codes,this is what happens with theo2s turned off, and upon the descretion of the tech it can be waived.This conversation was off the record,is it true I don't know at this time.

·
Registered
664 Posts
2quick2shift did you have your R/T cats welded into the SRT pipes.I didn't see a way to just bolt them up.
I did talk to a member that had the R/T cats welded into the SRT pipes and it didn't throw CELs.
The Aft 02 sensor on the R/T is screwed into the cat and is futher upstream than the SRT, that might the problem with this setup.
I do have the o2 extensions on mine and really no help still throws codes just not as often.
I have heard that some states can have up to 2 status not ready codes,this is what happens with theo2s turned off, and upon the descretion of the tech it can be waived.This conversation was off the record,is it true I don't know at this time.
Correct I did have my R/T cats welded into the SRT pipes. There was no way to bolt them righ in so they had to do a litle custom work to make it fit. Yes the sensor is futher upstream and thats why i need the extension so that i can connect the SRT to my stock once i install this and disconect battery and re connect I should at least my plan is that the codes will be cleared.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
2quick2shift, please keep us updated on your progress and whether you were able to solve your CEL code issue. Thanks.

I wonder if using the SRT cats as well would make any difference (or make the CEL issue worse)?

How did you guys come about the SRT parts? I have looked at a site that sells "slightly" used challenger parts, but no luck so far. I also looked in the "for sale" section of this forum a couple of times, but still no luck. I might have to put up a WTB post there and see what happens (I want to make sure we have a probable solution for the Cel code issue first though). Thanks again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts