Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2013 SRT Core, 6-speed
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whoever signed off on whatever half-baked process Chrysler uses for their wheels should be shot. On my Challenger, the finish on all four wheels is flaking off. The car is 7 years old, 80K miles, has never seen snow or salt (South Carolina car)...and all 4 wheels are peeling.

The guy at the wheel repair shop confirmed that no, he can't fix them, yes, if I find anyone who can, they'll probably peel again, and yes, this is common on modern "chrome" alloy wheels.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Agreed! and it’s gotten worse..fast forward to 2018, the same poor quality is happening with the WB Devils, it’s bad enough there’s barely enough coating on the barrels to squeak by as a color! but it also seems to ware off more and more with each wash leaving a whiteish look in there! the spokes have a touch more thickness but fair warning! watch your six there as well with the chemicals..inevitably the fix is looking like another round of powder coating, I’m not sure if anyone has the willingness or energy to fight a warranty claim against a less then desired powder coating process

·
Registered
2013 SRT Core, 6-speed
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Agreed! and it’s gotten worse..fast forward to 2018, the same poor quality is happening with the WB Devils, it’s bad enough there’s barely enough coating on the barrels to squeak by as a color! but it also seems to ware off more and more with each wash leaving a whiteish look in there! the spokes have a touch more thickness but fair warning! watch your six there as well with the chemicals..inevitably the fix is looking like another round of powder coating, I’m not sure if anyone has the willingness or energy to fight a warranty claim against a less then desired powder coating process
It's not powdercoating. It's some sort of half-baked pseudo-chrome finish...mine is flaking on the spokes on all 4.

The shop said they could strip and refinish all four black or charcoal...I might do that,

·
Super Moderator
17,434 Posts
sounds like you have the '15/'16 style SRT wheel with the hyperblack finish.

Its a PVD coating, not a plating - there are places that can re-do the finish. Search around using that description.

There were some batches that had flaws in them where the coating had discolorations or flaws in the finish -

·
Registered
2013 SRT Core, 6-speed
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
sounds like you have the '15/'16 style SRT wheel with the hyperblack finish.

Its a PVD coating, not a plating - there are places that can re-do the finish. Search around using that description.

There were some batches that had flaws in them where the coating had discolorations or flaws in the finish -
It's a 2013 Core, sort os a dark-chrome finish.

It's not discolored, it is PEELING.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.