Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Have an 08 srt8 with the stock stereo sounds like crap. My chevy fleet truck with just the am fm radio sounds better is this normal for this year of car or does anyone think something is wrong with it?

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
I have a 12 with standard 6 speaker system and it is truly terrible. My wife's journey sounds better. I knew I was going to upgrade mine anyway so I didn't want to pay for the premium option

Reactions: eletech

·
Registered
‘13 Challenger SRT 6M
2,817 Posts
I have a 12 with standard 6 speaker system and it is truly terrible. My wife's journey sounds better. I knew I was going to upgrade mine anyway so I didn't want to pay for the premium option

I have a '13 SRT with the stock six speaker. Is it the same as what you have, because it cranks, sounds real good. I have no complaints about it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Well how it sounds is highly subjective I guess. I'm sure it is fine for most but I'm coming from my truck with top of the line alpine head, focal components, jlw6 12" with zapco ag series amps. Its all pretty high end stuff and it really makes my challenger sound awful. After a while it's not bad, I get used to it. Then I go drive my truck and the angles sing! :-D

·
Registered
162 Posts
I can't hear it over my exhaust :banana:

Reactions: Danner

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the feedback. Good to know its not just mine (I guess) . Don't think I will upgrade it spending money on other mods this year.

·
Super Moderator
16,210 Posts
Have an 08 srt8 with the stock stereo sounds like crap. My chevy fleet truck with just the am fm radio sounds better is this normal for this year of car or does anyone think something is wrong with it?
In your year ('08 - '11) the base audio system was the 6-speaker Boston Acoustics 276W system.

The optional system (required w/ 730N (RER) radio) was the Kicker 522W system - this was referred to the 13-speaker system (coax 6 speakers) plus the 10" sub in the left side of trunk.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
IMO, even the 6 speaker BA system sounds better than the Kicker "upgrade". When my friend got his 2010 (Used) Challenger, he complained about how bad it sounded, and sure enough, it had the Kicker set up in it. He eventually yanked it out and put a decent system in and it sounds great now. It's sad that he had to spend all that money just to get decent sound in the car.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Factory stereo is complete crap except for the 730 HU.

After countless hours and almost $5000 later I can say the "premium" sound in my Challenger is as good as it gets!!

·
Registered
226 Posts
I have 2014 with 7 speaker 420 series system. Doesn't sound very good. Ok when I crank it. Bass not tight and cant seem to hear the door speakers no matter how I play with the balance and fade. I want to keep the head unit because its original. Any just upgrade the speakers and amps? If so how did it go and what did you use? Thanks in advance.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
260 Posts
I have 2014 with 7 speaker 420 series system. Doesn't sound very good. Ok when I crank it. Bass not tight and cant seem to hear the door speakers no matter how I play with the balance and fade. I want to keep the head unit because its original. Any just upgrade the speakers and amps? If so how did it go and what did you use? Thanks in advance.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
I have the same setup. I looked at the wiring diagram and I seems the door speakers are not amplified though the speakers come out of the amplifier. It shows the 3 dash speakers, 2 back speakers and the sub are amplified. It also shows only the 2 rear speakers output from the head unit and the amplifier splits the signal to the other 5 speakers.
I would like to remove the subwoofer in the back deck (not much deep bass from it). I would tap those wires into an LC2i, add an amp and a 10" or 12" sub. Does anyone think this will improve the sound? I don't want to change the head unit, but maybe upgrade the speakers later.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts