Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the Uconnect stereo with nav, mygig and all that. I know it has no RCA outputs. It has the 368(?) watt amp with Bost Accoustic Speakers. I don't want to swap the head or amp. I would like to upgarde the speakers. I don't know if they are crossed over in the amp or at the speakers. I can't find any info on it.

I would like to add subs and an amp, but am told as you turn the volume up the bass goes down. I'm kind of OK with the bass, but if I upgrade the other speakers the bass will fall behind. I don't want to spend 4 grand. I really just want to replace the speakers.

Who knows a lot about the system?

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I got a door panel off and removed a 6X9. Yes, it does have Boston Acoustics on it, but it also says it's made in Mexico. It looks very cheap. It's a dual cone, but only 2 wires and no cap. If it is crossed over it's within the amp. Dunno if it's crossed over or full range. I really want to replace it though. Maybe any better 6X9's would be good. Dunno.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, measured the speakers. They are 2 Ohm. I think I have it figured out. The 6X9's are mid range and the dash are highs. Each gets a crossed over signal from the amp. If you replace with a 4 Ohm speaker they will draw half the power, but may be louder because of being better speakers. So, if you replace the 6X9's you should replace the highs. Otherwise the system may sound very unbalanced.

I know Orion makes some 2 ohm speakers.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I just made a big decision. My wife worked at mackie esigns until they sold. They had a "Garage Sale" for ewmployes several years ago. I picked up two 8" mids and two big ass tweeters. I hooked one up to the speaker wires and it sounded great. I will try to install the 8's in the doors and the tweets in the dash.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Eh, the 8's won't go. I can mount them but them can't get the door panels on. Need 6-1/2's. So, I'll put it back stock for now till I find something better.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
8s can go with the proper work.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think they could too, but after thinking on it overnight I think the best thing I could do is to replace all speakers with Infinity Kappas and call it good. They should run fine on the stock amp and while not win contests should sound much better than stock.

If I ever want to drop 4K on it I could replace the entire system. but there's other things that are more important right now.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Kappas suck FYI lol. You could easily spend ~500 on an amp and a solid component set for the front and be extremely happy.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
i think infinity kappas sound great.
Wish you were local so I could demo some speakers to you. Kappas are notorious for harsh highs and severe lacking in the mid-bass region.

·
Registered
146 Posts
OK, measured the speakers. They are 2 Ohm. I think I have it figured out. The 6X9's are mid range and the dash are highs. Each gets a crossed over signal from the amp. If you replace with a 4 Ohm speaker they will draw half the power, but may be louder because of being better speakers. So, if you replace the 6X9's you should replace the highs. Otherwise the system may sound very unbalanced.

I know Orion makes some 2 ohm speakers.
Are you certain about that measurement? You know that you can't make this measurement with just a DVM or ohmmeter, right?

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
There are no 2 ohm transducers in these cars, they are all 4 ohm.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Kappas suck FYI lol. You could easily spend ~500 on an amp and a solid component set for the front and be extremely happy.

And in a few years I might. I would at least do Dynaudios of Focal Utopias with a nice amp so it would more likely be about $1500 or more. But I also have a boat and van to pay for. Not to mention a boat to outfit. And that boat sounds real nice with the Helix speaker system.

·
Registered
323 Posts
even though the bostic acoustics speakers in there now are made for oem there likely won't be a huge change in sound changing from them to a set of kapps. kinda going mid grade sound to mid grade sound.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.