Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my 6 speed R/T since late December and I have noticed that I dont have steady(smooth/constant) acceleration when I go WOT. There is hesitation sometimes as if it is being held back. It is erratic through heavy acceleration. Sometimes worse than others, but it is there.
Is this just a restrictive stock tune? I ordered the predator, will this be the fix I am looking for? Has anyone else noticed this out of their car?

Thanks,

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
Has it always been there? The computer can learn driving habits. You might want to pull the #2 fuse out of the under hood fuse box for a min. or so and reinstall it and recalabrate your accelarator. That would be my first thoughts.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I pulled the fuse about two or three weeks ago and it did seem to wake the car up a little. I noticed my MPG has gone down after doing this. Guess it is still learning.
But the smooth constant pull or lack there of has been like this since day one.

I mean its not like it is major jerky or anything, it just isnt a smooth constant pulling acceleration. Again, sometimes more noticable than others. But it is there.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It feels like the engine isnt breathing like it should. Like it is being held back.

It still feels fine under normal driving. Its just under "full pull" if you will, that it seems to be restricted somewhat. It is still fast, it still pulls, but it is not always a smooth constant pulling.

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
Not really heard of that on 6 speeds. I know alot of people have hasitations on acceleration on autos. I don't think a tune will fix it but as long as you save your original on it won't hurt anything.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Sounds like fuel delivery problem like a partially defective or clogged fuel injector.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Been using 93 octane.

·
Banned
811 Posts
Could be a fuel or injector problem, could be an ignition problem, could be a valve problem, could be a sensor problem, could be a bad PCM, etc. Probably should take it to the dealer.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Havent had any CEL come on. I would have taken it in to get checked. I am going to take it for a spin and see if I can better describe what I am talking about.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK so, I just pulled fuse #2 again and I did the throttle calibration(not sure if that does anything) and I took it for a spin. I drove to the shell station and filled up with 93 as I only had a 1/4 tank left. Then I took it on some back roads and opened it up a little. It only seemed to hesitate once after shifting into second. Just felt like there was some disconnect with throttle response. But it only happened that once.
So maybe it is just me nitpicking.

By the way I just installed the Blastin bobs res delete (straights) yesterday and they sound great!

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
i've noticed a bit of "surging" while winding it out on a back road in 3rd gear a few times. it only happened in 3rd and didnt do it all the time. i just attributed it to KR because of bad gas maybe.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah, it just seem that the throttle response is not fluid sometimes. I should have the predator tuner by the end of the week and I will let you guys know the results.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I got the tuner yesterday and I loaded the 91 CAI tune and it definitely pulls harder. It is also more responsive than it was before. I recommend this to any 6 speeders out there that are on the fence about it.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Mine is still new, and I have a very similar "surging" feeling when hammering it sometimes. Its like it pulls hard off the line, then there is sort of a dead spot in the horsepower, then it pulls like a MF up to redline. Sometimes its smoother, other times it feels like its surging or maybe the fuel delivery is uneven.

Its like this with or without the predator tunes. I may try this fuse trick. Anything else you have to do other than pull the fuse and wait?

One thing I've wondered is that it came with 1/2 a tank of gas from the dealer (yes, they are too cheap these days to give you a full tank. The salesman actually apologized). I'm guessing they put the cheapest crap in the car they had. I've been putting 93 octane in, but I'm probably only on my 2nd tankful so its possible it "learned" bad things from the 87 that was in it and its possible the 93 octane is still kinda watered down (although I did run most of the 87 out before filling it).

I'm thinking over time I'll get used to it. One thing amazing in these cars is that when you hit that big surge of power around 4000 rpm, even in like 4th gear the speedo just screams higher and higher. Its like the laws of physics are suspended for a moment.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have been trying to research this on here since I first noticed it. The throttle calibration deal does seem to work for awhile, and the canned tunes seem to help as well, but it seems to come back every now and then.

From what I have been reading on here it seems to me (and I am no expert) that the throttle body blade isnt opening enough to let the engine breath which is causing the bog. I have read several postings that going to the 85mm throttle body seems to get rid of the hesitation. If that is true, then I am wondering if it is the throttle body itself being flaky, or the computer playing nanny.

·
Registered
165 Posts
It's 100% torque management tune issue with the 6 speeds. Nothing is wrong with the car. There is nothing you can do to change it and so far none of the tuners have had any luck either. HemiSam has some logged documentation that shows what is happening. But don't give up hope, a few very talented people are working on some form of resolve.

This is why the blown 6 speed cars have crappy track times. It's not that they aren't making any HP, the car falls on its face thru the shift.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
It's 100% torque management tune issue with the 6 speeds. Nothing is wrong with the car. There is nothing you can do to change it and so far none of the tuners have had any luck either. HemiSam has some logged documentation that shows what is happening. But don't give up hope, a few very talented people are working on some form of resolve.

This is why the blown 6 speed cars have crappy track times. It's not that they aren't making any HP, the car falls on its face thru the shift.

well that sucks! sometimes i wish there were wasnt any electronic nannies on these cars...but i know thats not going to happen and overall wouldnt be as efficient as we have it now...but come on!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts