Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Super Moderator
18,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A Plum Crazy Challenger Hellcat was stolen, In September, from the William P. Hobby Airport in Houston. For a month there were zero leads. Some might blame the police for not looking hard enough, but if you look at the homicide rates in Houston, you will see why a stolen Hellcat isn’t top priority.

The frustrated owner was forced to take matters into his own hands. Using his GPS, he tracked it down to a parking lot, just sitting there like everything was normal. Only, the Hellcat had obvious damage to the driver’s side and more, so it had been driven hard and probably crashed. This is pretty much our worst nightmare, other than finding a beloved car in pieces.

Ultimately, the insurance company decided to not total the Hellcat and instead went ahead with paying for repairs. A long list of things needed to be fixed, including damage to the driver’s door, grille, front bumper, front fenders, tires, wheels, steering column, windshield, roof, rockers, trunk, rear quarter panels, and more. Considering how much Hellcats have shot up in value, it’s not entirely surprising that fixing all these issues was cheaper than totaling the car.

Granted, this is a miracle of a story, so let’s keep that in perspective. This is why you should have multiple trackers. Thieves often will study where the OE unit is and how to disable it, so keep that in mind. Dropping an AirTag or other tracking devices in the nooks and crannies of your ride provides another layer of security. Granted, it’s not a foolproof way of getting your vehicle back, but nothing is.

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Car Vehicle

· Registered
19,370 Posts
Wait I'm confused, the car is stolen and no leads for a month so why didn't the insurance pay up at that point? Or before? How long must you wait?

I had a friend years ago who thought her car was stolen but she just forgot where she parked it (yeah long story lol), anyway the insurance said given it a few days and if it still doesn't show up, we'll total and you can go get another car. And that's what happened.

So why did this one drag on? And seems like the owner getting involved screwed himself.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

· Super Moderator
18,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wait I'm confused, the car is stolen and no leads for a month so why didn't the insurance pay up at that point? Or before? How long must you wait?

I had a friend years ago who thought her car was stolen but she just forgot where she parked it (yeah long story lol), anyway the insurance said given it a few days and if it still doesn't show up, we'll total and you can go get another car. And that's what happened.

So why did this one drag on? And seems like the owner getting involved screwed himself.

After reporting it stolen, the wife, supposedly, deactivated the app which allows for the factory tracker to be used by the owner, so her husband couldn’t go looking for it and get into trouble. She felt that it was the police's job to find the car. For whatever reason the tracker was reactivated a few days later.

· Registered
2011 SXT
5,732 Posts
Was told when I worked at a Dealership if the car stays missing for over 90 days if covered they total it on Paper and pay for a replacement.
Many of the recovery Vehicles we got back were heavily damaged. One guy was a day shy of getting his truck replaced and it was found illegally
parked and was about to be towed, the vehicle was trashed but INS Said nope its getting fixed.

· Premium Member
2021 HCWB Hellraisin/Demonic Red
1,161 Posts
I would not have wanted the car back I don’t think, not damaged. Of course it may have had sentimental value to him, and in that case, I could see it.

· Registered
13 Posts
Interesting. A co worker had his car stolen out of his driveway. As was told: the police here are not allowed to pull over a stolen car. 6 or so weeks after it was stolen. Car was abandoned because the driver side mirror had been broken off. Once there is a damage like that, the cops can pull you over. He said the car was pinged as stolen over 20 times by the police before the was abandoned and recovered.

· Registered
2016 Challenger R/T Scat Pack Pitch Black A8
3,195 Posts
Interesting. A co worker had his car stolen out of his driveway. As was told: the police here are not allowed to pull over a stolen car. 6 or so weeks after it was stolen. Car was abandoned because the driver side mirror had been broken off. Once there is a damage like that, the cops can pull you over. He said the car was pinged as stolen over 20 times by the police before the was abandoned and recovered.
I don't think I would like to live in an area like that.

· Registered
19,370 Posts
Must be not allowed to engage in a pursuit over a stolen car, and that I can get.

· Registered
2021 Pitch Black Scat Pack M6
128 Posts
I can understand not getting in a pursuit with a stolen car, what I find hard to believe is that out of the 20 or so times it was pinged as a stolen car not once was it in a position to be investigated until it had damage to a mirror. I just don't understand that.
Welcome to the new world order.
Criminals have more rights than victims.

Coming to a neighborhood near you.

· Registered
1,564 Posts
When I was a cop, I had a woman walk in to report her new Orange Camaro convertible stolen from the train station parking lot. It's not that uncommon for our area. I take her in the RMP and go to the train station lot and start cruising the lot. Within 5 seconds , I see her car parked. I go ...."is that your car"? She is so embarrassed, She then remembers that she did not park in her usual spot next to Dunkin Donuts. The parking lot holds a few hundred cars......but, come on Lady......its a bright Orange car that all she had to do was look around !!!

· Registered
22 Posts
Wh aren’t more folks getting the Stellantis security update? My tech guy told me yesterday “there is no way to take the car unless they tow it.” Cloned key fobs wont work, these non- pro hood wanna be’s, just want to be the donut king for a night and be remembered forever in the hood. Of course if you lose the keys,..or forget your code… forget it, its $15,000 to replace all the systems. That’s what he told me. But, to me, its all about piece of mind.
What are ya’ll s thoughts on this topic?

· Registered
22 Posts
Sounds like WA state. Cops here have both hands and one foot tied behind their backs.

· Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
36,775 Posts

· Registered
2016 Challenger SRT Hellcat
541 Posts
i have "multi" kill switches and all the connection are hidden in a security box with vandal proof screws. i truly dont think they could find either switch (and i know they wont find one), plus the neutral pull plate, air tag, and im thinking of getting a wheel clamp. Mine is in a safe town, safe place and blocked in by cars every night but when i read horror stories like this I want more protection...

· Registered
2016 Shaker
14 Posts
When I was a cop, I had a woman walk in to report her new Orange Camaro convertible stolen from the train station parking lot. It's not that uncommon for our area. I take her in the RMP and go to the train station lot and start cruising the lot. Within 5 seconds , I see her car parked. I go ...."is that your car"? She is so embarrassed, She then remembers that she did not park in her usual spot next to Dunkin Donuts. The parking lot holds a few hundred cars......but, come on Lady......its a bright Orange car that all she had to do was look around !!!
I had several calls exactly like that when I was on the job. I would always drive the owner around the parking lot(s) and would come up with the car simply because they forgot where they parked. Now that I am older, I can relate!

· Registered
2022 Jeep Gladiator Overland
1,174 Posts
I would not have wanted the car back I don’t think, not damaged. Of course it may have had sentimental value to him, and in that case, I could see it.
I wouldn't want it back either. It might be correctly repaired, but with everything that is hidden in these cars (safety systems, electronics, structural reinforcements), I would always wonder how how good the repair job really is. Plus just knowing how it probably was driven would make the mechanical systems, like the engine and transmission, suspect.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts