Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning everyone,

Well, this was a first for me. Got in the Challenger this morning, turned the key, and nothing. So much of nothing that the key fob wouldn't even come out of the hole! Deader than dead. Jumped using the terminals under the hood just to get the trunk open and then a minute or two on the battery and it started right up. Drove it around for about 45 minutes or so.

What do you think? New battery? It's a 2010 R/T and it has only 21K on it and I have to admit I'm driving it much less than I used to. Do you think it's just old age and not much driving? The only reason I question it being just an old battery is I drove it a couple of days ago and it started right up, not even a hint of a tired battery, and today it was stone cold dead, no ticking, etc.

I'm probably going to replace it because now I don't trust it.

·
Registered
133 Posts
if it were me, I'd replace the battery. Sounds like the battery has an intermittent short to me

·
Premium Member
3,338 Posts
I had the same thing happen on my 2011 Ram last Thursday. However the battery is fully charged, have underhood and interior lights etc. no dash power, engine power etc. No idea what's going on. Sent it to Dodge.

·
Premium Member
1,456 Posts
Your battery is darn near 5 years old, just replace it.

·
Premium Member
2013 Challenger RT Classic
4,364 Posts
yes, simply replace the battery. At 4 years old I make it a habit of replacing all car batteries now. I had the same thing happen years ago to a 4 year old vehicle. Started and ran fine... turned it off, 10 minutes later it was totally dead. AAA said the battery didn't have enough juice in it. He and several others in the battery industry have told me since then that after 4 years it is a crap shoot.

·
Registered
2016 R/T Scat Pack
1,554 Posts
I've had several cars do that exact way. Start fine and one day... nothin. I'm expecting it from my '10 with 73k miles any time....Go ahead and swap it out.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I also have 2010 RT and should probably replace the battery. A while back someone posted a battery replacement procedure that looked helpful.

Can anyone post this again to keep me out of trouble when I replace my battery? Thanks.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone. That's what I'm going to do, replace it. I don't trust it anymore anyway.

·
Registered
2016 R/T Scat Pack
1,554 Posts
It looks to be pretty straight forward...other than maybe a PITA lifting it out of the trunk. Make sure you buy the proper vented one and hook up the hose.

·
Premium Member
6,488 Posts
My 03 Durango has the original battery - no reason they should it last if a change is maintained

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Newer batteries just don't have the quality/life that they used to, seems like after 2004 or so the OEM batteries (Usually made by Johnson Controls) and aftermarket, including Optima, really went downhill in terms of service life. 5 years seems to be the max on average. Some may go more, some will go less, but they're not made like they used to be, unfortunately.

A load test would be a good idea, but won't always catch an intermittent short. AFAIK, the only electronics that don't have an automatic shutoff after a specific time is the trunk light. Everything else will turn off on its own if left on, so the OP's battery shouldn't have been dead with everything off and closed. That tells me there's a shorted cell that drained all the others and the battery needs to be replaced.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts