Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just looked at my car today in the sun ( I work nights so car not out in direct sun much) and had a WTF moment. Upon looking at the car from the sides the front bumper cover area/ nose cone is getting darker than the rest of the car. It is slight but can only be described as a dirty white.

My car is garaged, stored last winter, never automatic car washed and am beside myself. Anyone have issue like this or dealt with dodge/Chrysler on this?

Any help would be great as this really sucks. I am pissed.

Pm's welcome or post reply

·
Banned
675 Posts
do you use a cheap car cover when you store it? Maybe some of the dye from the car cover is rubbing off on some of the tighter area's that it touches on the vehicle when it's stored

I've always used cheap car covers when storing my vehicles inside, just to keep the dust off and never had an issue, but I have all dark vehicles

Just a guess.

·
Super Moderator
15,975 Posts
I wonder if the flex additive causes a color shift - the urethane bumper covers have this in the paint to prevent the paint cracking if anything pushes on the front or rear facias.

Look at the sides of the front facia vs. where it meets the front fenders - is the color differential noticed there as well?

I've seen some makes (current Camaros have this issue) where the steel parts vs. urethane don't match exactly. Usually it has been the darker metallics (reds, blues, silver sometimes) that show this the most.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Have not noticed what you describe on mine. I would like to know how to get yellow plant pigments that seem to cling to the white (from driving through leaves in the fall) off the car.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Mine is STONEWHITE. The bumper covers have always been a shade off. As far as bug stains - I had one leave a light green stain on the front. I washed, cleaned and scrubbed it and it just would not come off. Used Wax, windex. It would not go away. One day it disappeared. GONE. Now you can see where I scrubbed it but the green is gone. I just found another but I am not going to clean it. I am letting it go so it can go away by itself.
Remember your bumper covers are on an elastomeric material where as the body is metal. It is going to be a little off.

·
Super Moderator
15,975 Posts
I would like to know how to get yellow plant pigments that seem to cling to the white (from driving through leaves in the fall) off the car.
Your best bet is using a paint cleaner product - the tannins in leaves will cause stains - I had a white car years ago and went through that as well. Regular washing might not be enough, but several washes will eventually make it go away.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
This is common on several makes/models even when new. I have also noticed it on new Challengers on the lot. Some individual cars/colors are more noticeable than others. As for the cause, I could only speculate but it is a common complaint on the various car forums.

·
Premium Member
3,010 Posts
In some light mine looks perfectly matched, other times the end caps look lighter or darker than the body. Once I started looking at other vehicles, most all look that way too.

·
Registered
161 Posts
As I understand from talking with a friend who is in OEM quality control,the front and rear covers are painted by the manufacturer of them,which is Magna.They are painted with the same type of base/clear urethane as the steel body and contain no flex additives as in the past lacquer and acrylic enamel days.The color variation is the result of slightly different factors involved in the paint process which is done at a separate plant..Color coat thickness is the most frequent cause. The exact same paint is used on the covers as the body but the primer undercoat may be more or less visible through the color,giving it a different cast.
In the body shop we get a little brutal with surface blemishes and discolorations.It is standard procedure to use 1200 grit waterproof sandpaper then heavy buffing with some strong compounds.That usually exposes a fresh surface on the clear and fixes most problems.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you all for your help and time. No cover was used so the cause is from the differing material (metal body panels and plastic front end). What a pisser!

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Also for stains try pink wax. Just google it and you get to their website. I have been buying it at car shows for years and it gets most stains, paint transfer from door dings, and atomic bird shit off;)

·
Registered
318 Posts
I notice my pcp bumpers are a shade off in direct sunlight you dont notice it any other time tho, I have also noticed this on a 2011 redline 3 car at the dealership. Oh well

1 - 16 of 16 Posts