Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car been been in a garage for a month. Waiting for snow to melt to take her for a spin. Does the battery hold up not being used for the month? Weather has been so crazy I didnt get to store it properly. I plan on taking it out 2-3x a month once it clears.

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
The battery will go down if the car isn't used. The manual says
Anytime you store your vehicle, or keep it out of service
(i.e., vacation) for two weeks or more, run the air
conditioning system at idle for about five minutes in the
fresh air and high blower settings. This will ensure
adequate system lubrication to minimize the possibility​
of compressor damage when the system is started again
If you are leaving your vehicle dormant for more than
21 days, you may want to take these steps to protect your
battery.​
Disconnect the negative cable from the battery.

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
I'ld charge the battery before starting the car and let it run a few minutes before useing it. it's best if your going to not use it much it's best to get a teather to keep the battery up when not in use. It can kill the battery if it freezes when ran down,

·
Registered
988 Posts
It should.... But, I would invest in something like a Battery Tender for long term storage. Check the net for the best price.

Another option is Battery Minder, same solution with a few more options.

·
Premium Member
4,364 Posts
Backing it out of the garage and having the engine run for 5 minutes will get all of the fluids running. Also, some people have had mice getting into their cars so if you notice any droppings at all get some traps as they can do a lot of damage to cars.

·
Premium Member
3,010 Posts
A month should be fine, much over that and invest in a Battery Tender like suggested by the earlier posters. Just running it for a few minutes will not charge the battery.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have a battery tender Ill probably put it on. The mice thing was a worry. I heard moth balls work well.

·
Registered
140 Posts
You should be fine after a month. Last year, I only had mine out twice between Dec. 15 through the beginning of March. Started fine the first time after about 4-6 weeks. Had trouble in March. One thing that will help is to not arm the alarm. You have to lock the doors by hand to not arm the alarm. If you hit the power lock switch to lock the car, it will arm the alarm. Of course, something like the battery tender will be the best.

·
Premium Member
3,010 Posts
One thing that will help is to not arm the alarm. You have to lock the doors by hand to not arm the alarm. If you hit the power lock switch to lock the car, it will arm the alarm. Of course, something like the battery tender will be the best.
When I measured the resting battery draw on my 09, it was 0.030 Amp with the alarm off and 0.035 Amp with the alarm armed so the difference is not much.
Any aftermarket equipment is another story. I found the Trinity to draw about 0.120 Amp even after the dead battery problem fix was applied.

·
Registered
122 Posts
My cars been in storage since Xmas and the other day I went over and drove it for about 20 mins. Started right up with no problem. Its been real cold here in PA and I was worried but she did good. I did put moth balls around her.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
when i used to store a car all winter (4-5 months) i never did anything special with the battery...id change the oil and fill the gas tank ....i would start it up for 30 minutes once a month...never had an issue with the battery....after only 1 month you wont have any issues at all....i wouldnt worry about anything to do with the battery unless it was being stored for 6-12 months

1 - 12 of 12 Posts