Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Unfortunately, I will be parking my Challenger this year and next year between September and May while I am away at graduate school. I purchased a custom-fit car cover, as well as a battery tender for use during storage. I was wondering what else should be done to ensure the vehicle stays in good shape?

I've read various articles about fluids, gas treatment, plastic on the ground... our garage floor is coated with a special sealant/paint, so I don't think moisture is an issue.

Is there anything else you would recommend that I do?

·
Premium Member
3,091 Posts
Put out some mouse traps even if you think no mice can possibly be in the garage.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Put out some mouse traps even if you think no mice can possibly be in the garage.
Mousetraps are a hell of a lot cheaper than a wiring harness.

Also, full tank of gas to minimize condensation (not so much an issue with plastic tanks but still good practice) and add Sta-Bil. Fuel can go bad in as little as six months and start varnishing everything up. If you have a place that sells pure gasoline (no ethanol) fill up there as the ethanol will corrode any metal parts it touches. If you want to be super thorough, run the engine for 5 minutes to get the stabilized fuel thru the injectors and return lines.

A fresh coat of wax won't hurt either, even under a cover.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Ditto on writing down the mileage :bump:

Yes, use a fuel stabilizer and fill the gas tank up. After adding the staybil...run the engine for 5 minutes or so to pull that staybil thru the system.

Even though you have her covered, crack the windows just a little so no moisture is retained in the vehicle (just from cold air in the garage).

I use a battery tender year round, great choice.

Mouse traps is an excellent idea !

Sounds like you are set ! :)

Reactions: Ineluki

·
Premium Member
10,543 Posts
I highly recommend these to keep the tires round and if needed or in an emergency the car can be pulled out without loss of time. Some put a car on stands but you need a bit of time to put the car back on the ground.
FlatStoppers

Reactions: '13 R/T

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Also so leave the hood and trunk up and make sure you take the bulbs out so it will not drain your battery. Reason for keeping the hood and trunk open is that leave some light in and the more light the better and mice likes the dark that's what I do when I put my car up for the winter and put stable in the gas and fill the tank up the put a battery charger on it.

·
Premium Member
4,819 Posts
Read your owners manual, too.

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
No need to worry, it isn't really a long time. Is your garage climate controlled? No need to worry about flat spots on your I store my GT500KR 364 days a year with no issue and never with a full tank, just enough to use on its annual drive. I do however recommend Sea Foam or Stabil.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Record your mileage so you can make sure your family and friends haven't been using it for joy rides. ;)
LOL, I don't think anyone will be driving the vehicle. I'm the only one in my household that can drive standard lol

Thanks, I will check that out!

Didn't even think of that, thanks!

Mousetraps are a hell of a lot cheaper than a wiring harness.

Also, full tank of gas to minimize condensation (not so much an issue with plastic tanks but still good practice) and add Sta-Bil. Fuel can go bad in as little as six months and start varnishing everything up. If you have a place that sells pure gasoline (no ethanol) fill up there as the ethanol will corrode any metal parts it touches. If you want to be super thorough, run the engine for 5 minutes to get the stabilized fuel thru the injectors and return lines.

A fresh coat of wax won't hurt either, even under a cover.
I don't have access to pure gasoline, but I plan on using a quality 93 octane in the tank along with Sta-bil. Thanks for the info on running it with it in the system.

Also so leave the hood and trunk up and make sure you take the bulbs out so it will not drain your battery. Reason for keeping the hood and trunk open is that leave some light in and the more light the better and mice likes the dark that's what I do when I put my car up for the winter and put stable in the gas and fill the tank up the put a battery charger on it.
The hood and trunk open?

Read your owners manual, too.
I'll see what I can find in there.

No need to worry, it isn't really a long time. Is your garage climate controlled? No need to worry about flat spots on your I store my GT500KR 364 days a year with no issue and never with a full tank, just enough to use on its annual drive. I do however recommend Sea Foam or Stabil.
Wow, why don't you drive it more? My garage is not climate controlled, unfortunately.

·
Registered
143 Posts
dryer sheets in the car and trunk, a handful of mothballs thrown under the car you won't need traps. mice will go nowhere near either one, and the inside of the car will smell nice!

been inside cold storing cars boats and campers for many many years both my own and many others here and NEVER had a problem with this plan.
Yes I'm rural and YES there are mice both deer mice and meadow voles and they have never touched anything.
I do NOT suggest leaving windows cracked, there is NO good reason. Moisture will not accumulate in the car. Stand more chance of vermin of any kind or humidity collecting in the car with the windows cracked.

NO PLASTIC under the car, wood- 3 or 4 sheets of even 3/8 OSB will do. You need a medium that collects and releases moisture with appropriate ambient conditions not traps it!

overinflate the tires- 40 lbs on the Challenger will do to avoid serious flatspotting. tires don't like concrete long term- they should be on the wood also lay the sheets 4 deep or 2 pair side-by-side.

some fuel treatment, dryer sheets, mothballs, and 4 sheets of OSB/ply and your good-to-go
leave the car closed and overinflate the tires

very low cost very effective.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
dryer sheets in the car and trunk, a handful of mothballs thrown under the car you won't need traps. mice will go nowhere near either one, and the inside of the car will smell nice!

been inside cold storing cars boats and campers for many many years both my own and many others here and NEVER had a problem with this plan.
Yes I'm rural and YES there are mice both deer mice and meadow voles and they have never touched anything.
I do NOT suggest leaving windows cracked, there is NO good reason. Moisture will not accumulate in the car. Stand more chance of vermin of any kind or humidity collecting in the car with the windows cracked.

NO PLASTIC under the car, wood- 3 or 4 sheets of even 3/8 OSB will do. You need a medium that collects and releases moisture with appropriate ambient conditions not traps it!

overinflate the tires- 40 lbs on the Challenger will do to avoid serious flatspotting. tires don't like concrete long term- they should be on the wood also lay the sheets 4 deep or 2 pair side-by-side.

some fuel treatment, dryer sheets, mothballs, and 4 sheets of OSB/ply and your good-to-go
leave the car closed and overinflate the tires

very low cost very effective.
Wood under the tires or whole vehicle?

·
Registered
81 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Wood under the tires or whole vehicle?
sorry, the whole vehicle and tires acts as an absorbent moisture barrier
and 4 sheets of anything aren't $400!!!

forgot the trickle charger. Though I don't know if I like the idea of leaving one for that long. Is there somebody there to police it?
Most batts here get a full charge, a quick check with a hydrometer, and put on shelves down cellar where it stays 40*+ all winter

I usually cover my stuff that is inside with old sheets and a $30 Budge car cover

key here is there is no reason to spend a mint of cash! simple effective- you've got 90% of it beat with a garage!

·
Premium Member
10,543 Posts
sorry, the whole vehicle and tires acts as an absorbent moisture barrier
and 4 sheets of anything aren't $400!!!

forgot the trickle charger. Though I don't know if I like the idea of leaving one for that long. Is there somebody there to police it?
Most batts here get a full charge, a quick check with a hydrometer, and put on shelves down cellar where it stays 40*+ all winter

I usually cover my stuff that is inside with old sheets and a $30 Budge car cover

key here is there is no reason to spend a mint of cash! simple effective- you've got 90% of it beat with a garage!
Put a charger on a timer so it's on for an hour or two a day.

·
Banned
5,785 Posts
I bought some carpet remnants and cut them into 10x10 sections and piled them 4 high under each tire and parked on them. No flat spots and if the car needed moving, it didnt take someone jacking it up and pulling out jack stands etc.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Two questions:

1. What is everyone's opinion on putting down wood or plastic under the vehicle, especially if the concrete floor is treated with paint to prevent moisture?

2. Since my Challenger is a manual, should I leave it in Neutral with wheel chucks? Or 1st gear with wheel chucks?

Thanks!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts