Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay I have a 2011 6speed rt and bought the mopar performance cat back system shortly after picking the car up from the dealer. This system was not as loud as I wanted it to be so I took the mufflers from the. system off and am running the x pipe that came with the mopar exhaust after the cats and then straight pipes back.

I want something with a deeper sound but don't want to lose the loudness at wot. I'm not even sure what I want is possible. Would switching the x-pipe for a h-pipe make it noticeably deeper?

·
Registered
625 Posts
Hemi's just aren't known for the deep tone. You might try some super 10 flows. They are single chambered(least restrictive) and small enough to mount at the rear by the tips.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Banned
349 Posts
When we were shopping for our Challenger we had stopped at a Chevy dealership as there was a Challenger in the parking lot. We thought it was a trade in and was on the lot for sale. Turned out to be one of the managers of the dealership (funny huh) anyway, he saw us looking at his Challenger he started it with a remote start. Well let me tell you, this car sounded INCREDIBLE! He had just installed headers on it. I have no clue what brand or what kind etc. all I can tell you is that the car sounded just like old school muscle cars. Eventually I want my Challenger to sound the same!

·
Registered
628 Posts
For a deep tone your best bet is a 3" Flowmaster 44 setup. You will not be disappointed. Super 10's and most single chamber mufflers will sound loud and raspy, similar to a straight pipe set up like you have now. Throw a set of 44's where your old mufflers use to be and thank me later. Not to sound like a know it all or anything but I modified my exhaust 5 times until settling with a full 3" exhaust, custom high flow x pipe, super 44's and 3" inlet tips. I FINALLY have the deep smooth rumble I have always wanted.
First set up was reso delete and stock 6 speed srt glass packs: Loud and raspy, lot's of popping and cackling.
Second: Replaced the glass packs with 2 1/2" Jones full boar mufflers, smooth and mellow, felt very restricted compared to the glass packs. Performance suffered.
Third: Replaced the Jones with 3" Flowmaster 44's (still running stock srt 2 7/8" pipe) Not much of a difference in sound but the car felt less restrictive like it did with the glass packs.
Fourth: Replaced the section from the mufflers back (to the tips) with 3" pipe including 3" inlet solo tips, SOUNDED AMAZING!! Deep and loud! I was blown away, felt restrictive on downshifts but good on acceleration, downshifting was deep and loud, rumbling and popping, the car slowed down quickly. Loved it!
Fifth and final: Replaced the stock H pipe (which I was hesitant to do thinking it wouldn't sound as mean) and stock FAKE x pipe (turned out to be extremely restrictive cutting one pipes diameter in half) with a custom high flow x pipe and 3" pipe from the cats to the mufflers making the entire system 3" including the tips inlet diameter. The result: Still deep, still loud and very smooth consistent rumble, very high flow, the car breaks loose effortlessly and sounds like a beast. Downshifts are a nice smooth, gradual rumble, no popping. It's truly amazing and the 5th mod alone gave me half a second on my quarter mile according to the evic. Best set up I've heard yet. The 4th set up was amazing but the fifth has the sound and performance to back it up. I do have other mods and I think there is something to be said about everything working together so my experience may be different than others but as far as deep goes, NOTHING beats 3" Flowmaster 44's, NOTHING! Not zoomers, solo, pypes or anything else. There are louder and raspier/more aggressive mufflers out there but not deeper. That is my opinion and I researched it for 3 years while modding my own exhaust, I couldn't stand the fact that even the 4.6 liter mustangs sounded deeper than "most" 6.1's, couldn't stand it! Now they get the hell out of the way so they can watch and listen to a true beast.

x pipe2.jpg

x pipe1.jpg

·
Registered
628 Posts
Also, no , replacing your x pipe for an h pipe will most likely not make a difference as far as deep goes, keep the x, better performance over all although that is up for debate as they both have their pro's and con's but the x seems to have an edge on the h for peak power. And as far as your concern about being loud at WOT, the 44's will not disappoint, very loud! I love how even at high rpm revs it remains deep and smooth, just louder than at lower rpm's. If I had a decent recording device I would post a sound clip but unfortunately I do not. There is one good you tube video that sold me on the 44's, I'll try to find it and post a link, keep in mind, they all sound much better in person but it gives you a pretty good idea.
Here you go, a stock challenger srt8 with 44's
you can get a feel for it in all rpm ranges.
Here's another good one but this guy has a cam in this video as well
One more
These are all srt8's (like mine) but they are the videos that helped me make up my mind. Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the quick replies! I will definitely be looking in to the super 44s and 3" pipe. I've been on YouTube looking for sound clips and like you said you just can't compare the real sound with a YouTube clip so I've been waiting to hear one in person, but have yet to hear one like I want. I've had my car for a little over two years now and don't get me wrong I do like my car with the straights from the cats back, but it just feels as if it's missing something. I can't believe I threw away $1500+ on a catback system I didn't even like hah but lesson learned.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Thanks for all the quick replies! I will definitely be looking in to the super 44s and 3" pipe. I've been on YouTube looking for sound clips and like you said you just can't compare the real sound with a YouTube clip so I've been waiting to hear one in person, but have yet to hear one like I want. I've had my car for a little over two years now and don't get me wrong I do like my car with the straights from the cats back, but it just feels as if it's missing something. I can't believe I threw away $1500+ on a catback system I didn't even like hah but lesson learned.
You might try putting the Mopar mufflers back in place and reselling the mopar cat back as a complete system, for what you can get for it you should be able to have a shop run you a 3" cat back set up with the 44's. A lot of guy's like the Mopar set up because it wont void the warranty. If you go this route, be sure to buy your 44's online, I got mine through Summit for $70 each, muffler shops charge $120-$140 each for them. A muffler shop will probably charge you $400-600 for a 3" setup with x pipe and at $140 for the 44's your looking around $550-750 for the complete system. Shop around and get a few cost estimates from muffler shops and go with the cheapest shop that is confident they can make you a good solid x pipe. Any shop should be able to do it so go with the cheapest. I would post the Mopar system here on the Classifieds. Good luck.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well thanks! I really appreciate all the help and advice hopefully in the next few months I'll have her sounding like I want!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts