Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yoooo what’s up y’all, I have a 2016 challenger 392 srt but know if I want to spend a couple thousand on a good exhaust yet lol, I want it to be aggressive and loud, which route would be a good idea?

·
Registered
7,427 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Alabama! A friend of my Son brought his 20' 50th Anniversary Scat Pack by on Saturday. He had just deleted the mids and straight piped it. It sounded ok but a little raspy to me. Surprisingly when I drove it, the drone was not there as the resonators were still on. But the tone was not deep enough for me. He owns his own garage and is going to put my Vibrant 1794's in place of my mids next week. I am hoping it will be nearly as loud as his but with deeper tone. That's what I have read. I will post how it sounds.

Reactions: OfficerHK

·
Registered
7,427 Posts
Oh, I'm very surprised how good the stock exhaust is. Mainly looking for a little more rumble, especially at idle. Mine is pretty quiet there. I have heard that the RT's actually sound better than the Scat Packs stock.

·
Registered
2020 Challenger R/T Plus Shaker
409 Posts
Oh, I'm very surprised how good the stock exhaust is. Mainly looking for a little more rumble, especially at idle. Mine is pretty quiet there. I have heard that the RT's actually sound better than the Scat Packs stock.
I have heard that too and also that the older R/T versions were not as pleasing. No idea what year it changed. I really don't remember to be honest.

·
Registered
7,427 Posts
I have heard that too and also that the older R/T versions were not as pleasing. No idea what year it changed. I really don't remember to be honest.
Well, just set my appt to have mine done Monday at 10:30 am. The shop owner said he will leave enough pipe on both sides of the factory mids so they can be reused in case I want to put them back on (unlikely) or sell them. We shall see!

·
Registered
2022 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack Granite Grey
24 Posts
Has anyone done Dynomax race bullet mid with a resonator delete w 1794s in place? I'd be curious on that setup. Hmmm. If you want aggressive just go straight.

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
Best oem exhaust for R/Ts was the '17 and up with the active exhausts. My sugestion, replace mids AND resonators with 1794s

·
Registered
2021 Challenger Scat Pack 392 TorRed M6
151 Posts
Op,
straight pipe it.
Around 3 years ago when I was still in college, I worked at a lube shop part time. Had 1 customer come in with a straight-pipe 2009 Challenger R/T five seven (around 09-11 model year, can't remember exactly) that was straight piped. Guy lowered it and deleted badges and had donuts on the front and big tires on the back. All the bolt-on mods you can think of he had on his car and engine.

Car sounded absolutely disgusting. All the rumble was gone. Just pure rasp. It was loud, but the car sounded it was sick. Normally I can recognise exhaust notes from specific cars (like the Shelby GT350 exhaust, Scat Pack exhaust, MY2018+ Mustang GT's exhaust, etc. etc.) without being able to even see the car as these cars all have unique exhaust notes. But this guy's straight-piped R/T.....I can't even describe it. Don't know what that guy was thinking. He's asking to get pulled over. That guy was also saying how his car can "smash an SRT" or whatever.

·
Registered
2014 Challenger R/T Redline
25 Posts
When we bought our 2014 used 2 years ago, it had Flowmaster Super 10s on it, resonator delete with Dual tips on each side. Slight drone, but not bad around 1950 RPM.

Lots of compliments on it. Been told by numerous people that it sounds like the old mopar muscle we all used to love the sound of back in the day. Not like the quieter hemi sound I've heard on a number of these cars.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Man!! Aren't these Hemis loud enough??? I loved LOUD when I was a younger dude but even then I would have LOVED this 'stock' Hemi exhaust note and left it alone.
Being someone who can never leave well-enough alone I 100% agree. The one thing I did install on my car recently purely for sound is the z automotive inactive/active exhaust modules and I am very happy with the extra rumble in all driving conditions. It’s just enough to satisfy my urge to hack up a perfectly good exhaust system.

·
Registered
2022 Scat Pack Shaker Widebody, JL Wrangler Rubicon, Ford Bronco - ordered
70 Posts
Being someone who can never leave well-enough alone I 100% agree. The one thing I did install on my car recently purely for sound is the z automotive inactive/active exhaust modules and I am very happy with the extra rumble in all driving conditions. It’s just enough to satisfy my urge to hack up a perfectly good exhaust system.
Do you have a link to the part? Would be interested to learn more. Thanks

Tag

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
32,018 Posts
Around 3 years ago when I was still in college, I worked at a lube shop part time. Had 1 customer come in with a straight-pipe 2009 Challenger R/T five seven (around 09-11 model year, can't remember exactly) that was straight piped. Guy lowered it and deleted badges and had donuts on the front and big tires on the back. All the bolt-on mods you can think of he had on his car and engine.

Car sounded absolutely disgusting. All the rumble was gone. Just pure rasp. It was loud, but the car sounded it was sick. Normally I can recognise exhaust notes from specific cars (like the Shelby GT350 exhaust, Scat Pack exhaust, MY2018+ Mustang GT's exhaust, etc. etc.) without being able to even see the car as these cars all have unique exhaust notes. But this guy's straight-piped R/T.....I can't even describe it. Don't know what that guy was thinking. He's asking to get pulled over. That guy was also saying how his car can "smash an SRT" or whatever.
He should have replaced the headies and the hemmer and installed a Lamborghini exhaust!

A Guy

·
Registered
38 Posts
Do you have a link to the part? Would be interested to learn more. Thanks

Anyone can feel free to correct me.

When you cold start the car(or it’s off), the exhaust valves are default open. Once the car warms up the valves attenuate based on how much throttle you’re using to cut down on “noise”, and they are not fully open unless you are WOT. This module/relay/idk what it actually is tells your computer the active exhaust valves are working properly when infact they remain in the default/open position at all times. So the benefit is you get a little more volume under normal/less aggressive driving conditions.

This appealed to me as my RT does not have true performance modes, all I can do is turn the traction control off. I’m not savvy as to what the other models come stock with but I do know some people can achieve the same effect by switching to a track(thanks SKTPK) mode where the computer will then leave the valves open or will attenuate them much less, making the exhaust louder under all conditions. I know for sure this is a thing in the Hellcats, maybe some 392 owners can chime in.

There are mechanical bypasses as well that cost significantly less but after watching some how-to videos I was okay with spending the extra money for less time/effort.

·
Registered
7,427 Posts

Anyone can feel free to correct me.

When you cold start the car(or it’s off), the exhaust valves are default open. Once the car warms up the valves attenuate based on how much throttle you’re using to cut down on “noise”, and they are not fully open unless you are WOT. This module/relay/idk what it actually is tells your computer the active exhaust valves are working properly when infact they remain in the default/open position at all times. So the benefit is you get a little more volume under normal/less aggressive driving conditions.

This appealed to me as my RT does not have true performance modes, all I can do is turn the traction control off. I’m not savvy as to what the other models come stock with but I do know some people can achieve the same effect by switching to a race(?) mode where the computer will then leave the valves open or will attenuate them much less, making the exhaust louder under all conditions. I know for sure this is a thing in the Hellcats, maybe some 392 owners can chime in.

There are mechanical bypasses as well that cost significantly less but after watching some how-to videos I was okay with spending the extra money for less time/effort.
My understanding on my Scat Pack is that in Sport or Track modes, the valves remain open.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yoooo what’s up y’all, I have a 2016 challenger 392 srt but know if I want to spend a couple thousand on a good exhaust yet lol, I want it to be aggressive and loud, which route would be a good idea?
purchased my 2009 SRT8 challenger used 4 years ago. the original owner installed the magnaflow competition exhaust (no resonators). it sounded great on flat ground. i always tell anyone to drive their vehicle up in the hills with their exhaust system to see if they like it. putting a load on the engine ie the noise out the rear will give you an idea of what you are in for-so i did. it wasnt long afterwards that i had installed the performance magnaflow mufflers where the resonators usually are. quieted it back down a few decibals. it did what i wanted without the unwanted drone while driving in the hills. i also put on shorty headers which gave me torque right where i needed it, middle of the torque curve. my srt is an automatic so it all worked for me and mine. loud doesnt always represent performance. free flowing into and out of the engine. as for the sound, that is a personal choice. i like V8 sound but not obnoxious. my two cents.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts