Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2009 challenger RT
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just picked up my 09 RT and brought it into a local exhaust shop to see what they could quote me for an upgrade, it just didn’t sound good enough to me. Wasn’t very loud or aggressive sounding.

the shop put it on the lift and to both our surprise it already had a set of flowmaster 10s on it! Even the muffler guy thought this was crazy because it didn’t sound like it had any type of upgrade. The welding work was also piss poor and there was some sections 2 1/4 inch and some sections 2.5 inch.

long story short, he recommended going with a custom 2.5 inch straight pipe system from the cat back and possibly adding an x/h pipe. He said that will allow more even air flow and will definitely add more sound and aggressive tone. The shop owner said they are one of the few that use mandrel (spelling?) bending and 304 stainless material so it would be off a higher quality than an “off the box” system.

just wanted to get everyone’s feedback on this. I know straight pipes seem to be a hate it or love it situation. Worth noting that my 09 RT is not my daily driver and isn’t intended to be a race car. It’s meant to be my Sunday driver or cruiser.

thanks all for your feedback/advice

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,756 Posts
Not sure how it will sound with the stock exhaust manifold but straight pipes will be loud and probably drone. I am running LT headers, AWE 3" H-pipe and catback (no mid mufflers but AWE resonators in the back) and it is loud when you cold start it and/or get on it. When you cruise or are easy on the throttle it sounds a tick louder than stock. Granted I have a manual trans with no MDS so I don't have to worry about the 4 banger mode sound.

In your case I would probably not run without resonators in the rear as I can see MDS causing some undesireable exhaust characteristics.

·
Registered
2009 challenger RT
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I appreciate the feedback, I’ll post about how it goes and if I have any other issues

As far as the drone goes, I’ve heard this issue come up a few times for a number of modifications. I’ve read that a chip can solve this, and offer other improvements?

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,756 Posts
I appreciate the feedback, I’ll post about how it goes and if I have any other issues

As far as the drone goes, I’ve heard this issue come up a few times for a number of modifications. I’ve read that a chip can solve this, and offer other improvements?
Not sure if a chip can do it but you can turn off MDS either by modifying the tune or maybe Tazer can do this but if you leave it enabled you are going to hate the resulting exhaust tone when it kicks in...at least that is what others have said.

·
Registered
2009 challenger RT
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not sure if a chip can do it but you can turn off MDS either by modifying the tune or maybe Tazer can do this but if you leave it enabled you are going to hate the resulting exhaust tone when it kicks in...at least that is what others have said.
ive heard the “key trick” disables the mds? I’ve tried the trick and it works on my car. I’ll have to get some info on this

·
Registered
2009 challenger RT
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Which key trick is that? Sorry not too familiar with pre-2015 models.
while going around 15 mph you turn the key to the right and hold until it chimes, a few light come on. It’s supposed to completely disable the ESP (the button supposedly only does half)

·
Registered
2013 Challenger RT
182 Posts
for my 13, you hold the button for 10 sec and will completely disable esp but that's not mds though.

for the straigh pipe, my brother had it and it was obnoxiously loud and drone was unbearable forme and even with my left ear beaing bad ( 357 cal). i guess it all depends what you want, im old and my brother is 14 yrs younger so that could be the key factor:)

·
Registered
2009 challenger RT
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
for my 13, you hold the button for 10 sec and will completely disable esp but that's not mds though.

for the straigh pipe, my brother had it and it was obnoxiously loud and drone was unbearable forme and even with my left ear beaing bad ( 357 cal). i guess it all depends what you want, im old and my brother is 14 yrs younger so that could be the key factor:)
Thank you for clarification, I’m still new here...

·
Registered
98 Posts
I had straight pipes on my 10 RT and the drone was horrible on the highway. I found a complete 2017 stock srt 392 SP exhaust system. Had it put on at a muffler shop because I needed and expander connection at the mids to CB. sounds sooo much better and no drone. Dodge got the 15+ exhaust dialed in pretty good IMO..

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,756 Posts
I had straight pipes on my 10 RT and the drone was horrible on the highway. I found a complete 2017 stock srt 392 SP exhaust system. Had it put on at a muffler shop because I needed and expander connection at the mids to CB. sounds sooo much better and no drone. Dodge got the 15+ exhaust dialed in pretty good IMO..
You mean +2017...2015-2016 did not have AES and is still too quiet IMO. 2017 improved when they basically bumped up the pipes from 2.5 to 2.75 and added AES but I hear +2018 is even better.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Yes indeed, I did mean the 17+. I wired the AES open and sounds good to me! :cool: Although I have been thinking about a manual adjust for the AES... :unsure:

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,660 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
while going around 15 mph you turn the key to the right and hold until it chimes, a few light come on. It’s supposed to completely disable the ESP (the button supposedly only does half)
Any link or info on this key trick? Never heard of it, but you're saying turn key as if you were cranking over the engine to start the car, but while driving 15mph?

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,660 Posts
28. To completely disable the ESP/Traction Control. While moving at more than 15 mph, you turn the key to START and hold it for a few seconds until the system chimes. (Don't worry, the starter won't engage). The chimes indicate that the ESP is now completely disabled until you turn the engine off. This is known as the "key trick."

A Guy

Reactions: MyRTnMe

·
Registered
2013 SRT8
1,102 Posts
We are supposed to be social distancing...plus who needs friends, when I’ve got my Challenger. I also were hearing aids already thanks to the big booms I’ve been around. LOL!

Seriously though, straight pipes are loud. I love mine, but I do still have resonators. So that may quite them down some. There definitely isn’t any drone, but I have a M6 so..... I don’t find it to be much louder than the cat back that I had. If you get on it yes, but otherwise no real difference.

·
Registered
22 Posts
28. To completely disable the ESP/Traction Control. While moving at more than 15 mph, you turn the key to START and hold it for a few seconds until the system chimes. (Don't worry, the starter won't engage). The chimes indicate that the ESP is now completely disabled until you turn the engine off. This is known as the "key trick."

A Guy
Just came back from a test drive and I can confirm that on my 09 RT the MDS does not engage in drive or manual when this key trick is activated. When doing the hold button for 10 seconds method is used MDS will kick on unless I am in manual shift mode which I usually am in anyways. Just wanted to let anyone know and thanks again for clarifying 😎👍

1 - 18 of 18 Posts