Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the built in Garmin NAV/stereo system in my 2009 RT and I am having a very odd problem that I am not even sure where to start with. The stereo works great with no problems while listening to my favorite FM morning radio show. Then my back window will fog up (no I am not implying the radio is causing the window to fog up so please keep reading) and I reach down, hit the button for my rear window defroster and now all I get is static. I then turn off the defroster and no more static. Turn on the defroster get static. Turn off the defroster, no more static. I think you can get the picture (if not I can keep going with the description if it is not clear). So after about 10 or 15 times of turning the defroster on and off and duplicting the issue 10 -15 times I came to the shocking conclussion.........my windshield wipers need to be replaced......just kidding. I think my defroster is causing static on my radio........but I could be wrong. Any guesses on where to start troubleshooting? Maybe replace the tail light to cure this issue?

:elephant: This elephant placed here just to be as confussing as this problem is to me.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Your antenna wire is shorted against your defroster button. Easy fix if you're under warranty. Potentially not an easy fix if you're not. The rear window has 2 different "modules" built into the glass. The top 3 copper lines are your FM antenna. The middle lines are your rear window defroster. You'd need to remove the C pillars back there near the deck lid and find where the leads are for each. They're shorted together somewhere. Wrapping the leads in electrical tape should clear it up, but you'll have to find it first. I haven't had to do this myself so I don't have any pictures or guidance beyond that, but that's almost certainly your problem.

A dealer shouldn't charge more than an hour or two of labor to fix it, but be sure to mention this theory to the tech (not the service writer). It may save him some time trying to figure it out, which is money they're going to charge you. You can also try to do this yourself with a little effort.

·
Registered
955 Posts
:headbang2:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awesome info. Bad news is I am out of warrenty. Good news is I know where to make them start looking. Is this something an audio shop would tackle as well? I am thinking they may be cheaper then a dealer.

·
Registered
955 Posts
A mom and pop might. Best Buy probably not. Explain that theory I mentioned to them and one of their installers should know what you're talking about and might be willing to charge an hour's labor to check for you.

As an absolute worst case scenario you can bypass the factory antenna and buy a powered antenna from them. They'll probably be able to wire one up and send you on your way for under $100. Then you don't have to worry about the factory antenna at all. The downside to this is your reception might be just a little worse than before.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good to know. Considering the reception around here is very good and a very strong signal probably not a big concern. Thanks for the great info I appreciate it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts